Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie seeks CPap for Dummies help
Newbie seeks CPap for Dummies help
Hi, I received my machine on July 2. I have used it every night, however after one night I realized the settings must not be right for me.

I have been viewing many of the threads on here however I feel like everyone is speaking a foreign language. Is there a book that could help me understand more about cpap in general? I have a manual with my machine but it is very basic. I'm guessing most of the settings were set by the provider as I cannot make changes to the pressure.

I've tried a few changes but haven't found my comfort zone. Initially I felt I wasn't getting enough airflow. I was waking up with headaches besides just feeling claustrophobic. I changed the setting of 2 to a 1. That helped slightly. Still have headaches but not as severe. I am now noticing that my breathing pattern has altered. And I mean when not on the machine. It's now almost 9 at night and I'm still breathing like I was on cpap from last night. Quick, not swallow but not deep, breaths. Constant breaths. Is this normal?

I feel very lost in figuring out what direction I need to try. Any suggestions?

Carla
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie seeks CPap for Dummies help
(07-09-2012, 08:54 PM)Carla Wrote: Hi, I received my machine on July 2. I have used it every night, however after one night I realized the settings must not be right for me.

I have been viewing many of the threads on here however I feel like everyone is speaking a foreign language. Is there a book that could help me understand more about cpap in general? I have a manual with my machine but it is very basic. I'm guessing most of the settings were set by the provider as I cannot make changes to the pressure.

I've tried a few changes but haven't found my comfort zone. Initially I felt I wasn't getting enough airflow. I was waking up with headaches besides just feeling claustrophobic. I changed the setting of 2 to a 1. That helped slightly. Still have headaches but not as severe. I am now noticing that my breathing pattern has altered. And I mean when not on the machine. It's now almost 9 at night and I'm still breathing like I was on cpap from last night. Quick, not swallow but not deep, breaths. Constant breaths. Is this normal?

I feel very lost in figuring out what direction I need to try. Any suggestions?

Carla

Carla,
First off: Welcome

Sounds like you are off to a bit of a rough start. Most of us were off to a rough start! You are definitely not alone! It sounds to me like you are changing the pressure relief or A-Flex, which has 1, 2 & 3. This is not your therapeutic pressure. This is a nifty thing that helps you to be able to breathe out without having to fight the pressure that helps you when you take in a breath. A manual, no, sorry, but no such thing that I have found. That is the reason for a website like this one.
I know this is hard to hear, but you are going to have to try to be patient for a few weeks as this is really a foreign thing that we are doing and it takes time to get used to it. Everyone takes a different amount of time.
You may wish to talk to your DME or your doctor and tell them you are having a hard time. As you are so new to this I would not recommend you start changing your pressure before you are used to the device itself. If it allows you, you may wish to turn off the A-Flex completely and see if that helps. BUT, please understand that any small change you make can take weeks to truly know if that fixed your problem or not. Please continue to read, it will all begin to make sense at some point, and ask questions! No one here is going to think less of you for asking questions! Good luck.
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
One suggestion is to get the clinician manual for your machine.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links

Then, while you read that, just relax. I know that's hard to do right now but it is really the only thing to do. You've only used the machine for a few days. Your body and brain are still adjusting. Some of us start using the CPAP and adjust with ease. Some struggle for a long time. It's really such an individual thing.

If the headaches continue, let your sleep doc know. There may be something he/she can adjust.

The setting you mention changing from 2 to 1 must be the A-flex. That's the comfort feature that lowers the pressure when you breathe out (or raises it when you start to breathe in, can't remember which way it goes).

The American Sleep Apnea Association (http://www.sleepapnea.org/) has some reading material.

The ApneaBoard Wiki has a page of acronyms.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms

and a glossary of terms
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...efinitions

Feel free to ask anything here. There's no such thing as a stupid question.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Carla, First, Welcome! to the forum. I'm sorry you are having such a ROUGH time with your therapy. CPAP therapy can take lots of patience and time to figure out what's best for you so, don't give up. You might talk to your Dr. about the difficulties you are having and of course, keep checking back into this forum as you will get other suggestions to help you. Best of luck on your therapy and don't be shy about asking as MANY questions to help you along the way toward having a better understanding of your therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Carla,

Welcome to the Apnea Board Smile

My suggestion would be to keep reading the wiki articles and forum posts here. I am certain you will be surprised at how fast you will pick up a good understanding of not only apnea but also about the equipment, software and much more.

"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply
What every body said. Be patient, Not many feel a dramatic improvement at first but it should get better. When is the follow-up with the sleep doc, write down your questions so you don,t forget to ask the doc. Whats AHI and how are you getting on with the mask?
Keep reading .....there,ll will be a test soon
http://sleepapnea.com/sleep_patients/new...tings.aspx
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users
http://www.apneaboard.com/pr-system-one-...structions
http://respironicsremstars.respironics.com/

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

You have already gotten a lot of great advice so far in this thread. Do you have a sleep doc? If you do have one, you might want to get with him/her to see if the settings need to be tweaked.

Hang in there. It will get better. Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both for your replies. I'm sure the links will be helpful as I don't know the terminology to even describe my problems.

I will be reading and lurking here so I will see you both around. Again thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI... I have no idea. I do not have a sleep doctor. I did a sleep study at the hospital. Actually was on a cpap for 4 hours and woke up feeling great.

Now that I have my own, the mask is a mess, I keep getting air leaks blowing into my eyes OR I end up with it too tight. I'm awake every hour which is more than I was before. Not trying to be whinny but my provider is definitely gotta get me a different mask.

The joys of trial and error....lol
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2012, 10:05 PM)Carla Wrote: AHI... I have no idea. I do not have a sleep doctor. I did a sleep study at the hospital. Actually was on a cpap for 4 hours and woke up feeling great.
Now that I have my own, the mask is a mess, I keep getting air leaks blowing into my eyes OR I end up with it too tight. I'm awake every hour which is more than I was before. Not trying to be whinny but my provider is definitely gotta get me a different mask.

I've been on CPAP for three months and I'm currently on my fifth mask. And I'm not unusual. Few people succeed with their first mask and providers are accustomed to having to try more than one. Hang in there!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 379 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 480 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.