Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie sharing my homemade FFM liner idea
Newbie sharing my homemade FFM liner idea
I have made many homemade liners for my Resmed Airfit F10 full face mask, of different types. I've sewn some triangle shaped ones and attached an elastic at the back, I've made some of the t-shirt liners that just sit between my face and the mask, but I thought of something else and decided to try it; I've had amazing success with it, and 100% mask fit!

Here, I'll share with you:

1. Buy a new set of cotton ankle socks at the dollar store, preferably with wider ankle openings. (don't buy children's size, etc.)

2. Cut the top of the sock about 2.5-3 inches down from the opening, so you have short tube of cotton, with elastic in the top of it.

3. Stretch the elastic part around the mouth of your full face mask to hold it in place, then just pull the cotton material around the silicone and tuck it in.

This makes for a comfortable liner, and it doesn't move around.

*** I found that one of these liners that I made from socks with a slightly smaller opening pulled a little too tight, so had a bit of leakage under my lip, so I just made a 2 cm slit in the material so it opened in a "v" shape under my lip, and the silicone there is allowed to puff up to create a seal.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie sharing my homemade FFM liner idea
That is a good idea, I might just try it even though I don't have a leak issue
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks toniko, and welcome to Apnea Board!
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
You're welcome Smile

I'm not really having leakage problems per se, but I often find that I will wake up around 3 o'clock in the morning to the mask trying to blow itself off of my face. I read that this is because my facial muscles have relaxed and there might be some moisture between my skin and the mask. The mask liners help to prevent this.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi toniko,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Thanks for the tip on making mask liners.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
This is a great idea, thank you.

I use a F10 FFM and he problem I am having is not so much leaks any more as the mask tends to creep up my nose as I toss and turn. The result ends up being small leaks and more importantly an irritation across the top of my nose. I assume this is from the silicone cushion deflating and the hard plastic then coming into contact with the top of my nose.

I have spent hours learning exactly how loose I can adjust the F10 straps and still get no leaks, but this aggravates the creepiness. If I on the other hand tighten the straps even a little I start having leaks every time I change positions.

I have ordered a P10 to see if that works better for me, but I will definitely try this tonight to see if it solves my problem. Mostly I love my F10 and find it comfortable, if it just wasn't so creepy.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Idea 
Thanks Toniko for bring your great idea to the forum, it will help many on this incredible quest we are all on; Improving our sleep.
like CleaverWelcome
The more members we get the more great ideas we hear; to the benefit of all.
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well darn, I was so excited to see if this worked for me I had to try it. But, sad to say, no joy. I could find no way to adjust the position or the strap tightness to stop a constant leak and sad face in the mask fit. It felt nice, very soft and comfortable, but constant leak.

Here is how I did it, wrong maybe?

[Image: IMG_0167.JPG]

[Image: IMG_0166.JPG]
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh no! I'm so sorry that it didn't work for you :-(
That's exactly how I do it... I wonder if it's the type of sock, maybe? The one you have on there looks fairly porous, but that could just be the way the picture looks.
I use the very thin, soft, casual cotton socks - that may be what the difference is, but I'm not sure. Can you tell where the leakage is coming from?

Sorry - I wanted to post pics, but I'm still too new. I will post some later on.

I find that it's pulled to tight along the chin part, the mask won't make a proper seal, so I make a slit (but not cut all the way to the elastic) in the cloth so it can pull apart and allow the mask to seal under my lip.
Sorry, I was trying to say, "I find that if it is pulled too tight..."

(04-17-2016, 01:02 PM)toniko Wrote: I find that it's pulled to tight along the chin part, the mask won't make a proper seal, so I make a slit (but not cut all the way to the elastic) in the cloth so it can pull apart and allow the mask to seal under my lip.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2016, 01:02 PM)toniko Wrote: Oh no! I'm so sorry that it didn't work for you :-(
That's exactly how I do it... I wonder if it's the type of sock, maybe? The one you have on there looks fairly porous, but that could just be the way the picture looks.
I use the very thin, soft, casual cotton socks - that may be what the difference is, but I'm not sure. Can you tell where the leakage is coming from?

Sorry - I wanted to post pics, but I'm still too new. I will post some later on.

I find that it's pulled to tight along the chin part, the mask won't make a proper seal, so I make a slit (but not cut all the way to the elastic) in the cloth so it can pull apart and allow the mask to seal under my lip.

Awesome, than you for the reply, I think you got it, I assumed the thick sports sock, and you are using the thin sock. Yes, this is thick and porous and obviously the problem.

EDIT: I tried a thin mens dress sock, no joy. It is better than the thick socks, but still didn't work well. I will see if I can come up with something very sheer.

Thank you.
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 110 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 187 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 172 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 498 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 189 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 283 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 264 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.