Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie to CPAP long term sleep apnea
Ohmy 
Newbie to CPAP long term sleep apnea
Background is I have had sleep apnea since I was really small (use to terrify me), first told what it was when I was 12. It is secondary to severe environmental allergies so I was told it was a fact of life for me so deal with it. I am now over 50 and have a new family physician who has decided it isn't a fact of life for me and has me trying out a cpap machine. The test for sleep apnea showed I stopped breathing on average 45 times in an hour with at worse 63, my O2 saturation at lowest dropped to 70%. While I know that sounds like a lot the catch is my body is so use to it my heart doesn't respond to it, apparently it should race so my question as dumb as it may sound since my body is use to it would I be doing more harm than good if I continue using the machine (I have only used it for a week) Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie to CPAP long term sleep apnea
Hi Oscargrchy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The CPAP machine should help you. Sometimes it takes a while to notice improvements, so just stick with it.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have obstructive apnea and it is causing your oxygen level to drop below 88%, you need some form of apnea treatment to prevent cell damage. CPAP is one treatment, and sounds like the right one in your case. With every treatment option you may have negative side effects, but CPAP is rather safe.

If you continue, you are likely to find strength, interest, and well being you never thought possible.

Please share with us what are your apnea scores from the machine info screen? It should read out your average events per hour.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think that is the biggest challenge, I am just feeling bullied because I don't have a clue about anything including what my apnea scores from the machine. The machine doesn't show anything but happy faces and to sign up to Resmed but since it is just a trial I don't know if I should sign up yet. A different therapist phoned a week after I started with the machine (so yesterday) but only would say everything looks fine. The respiratory therapist that I actually got the from machine is very dismissive for example when I expressed doubt about the using the machine before I got it he just threatened to have my license pulled because anyone who has over 35 episodes in a hour driver's license will be pulled unless they are getting help.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry you were bullied at every turn. How that makes sense, I don't know. It never works! It only puts people into places, not help them get better.

For the most part, this forum is to teach and empower you. I hope you don't get scare tactics here.

your A10 should have a button that has an "I" on it, and that should give you a more detailed report of results. If not, you may have to access the super secret "clinicians" menu, by pressing and holding setting and the round button together. Not sure of your model, but you may be looking for (1) a setting for "Sleep Quality" and set it to "On", or (2)a setting for "Essentials" and set it to "Plus".

you should see something like this:
[Image: IyMEDrU.png]

If you do want to get a manual, you'll need to send an email as directed in SECTION 3 of this thread --> http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

As for signing up for ResMed, you cannot lose in doing so. The worst thing that can happen is you'll get more data, some that may be confusing. We can help with that. If you do sign up, the whole period of your trial, from day one, will be available for you.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed's MyAir is not much more than the basic summary. Which is what you are seeing now with the smilies. It keeps a history so that's one plus. On your machine, press the Home button under the display and the Selector big round button to the right of the display at the same time and hold for 3 seconds. As quiescence wrote, Set Essentials to Plus. This will give you a lot more data to look at under the Sleep Report. If you can, install SleeyHead and look at your data on the SD card. Lots more can be learned that way.

I don't believe an RT has the authority to "pull" your driver's license. If an RT said that to me I would fire them and file a complaint.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Knew someone posted it recently. Thanks Zonk.

[Image: A10-pic1.jpg]
http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsens...setup-info
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, thank you all so much. I feel like crying right now but from relief and not frustration. I feel more informed and so very thankful for all of your information. AlanE the picture was awesome because other than colour that is the machine I had and was thinking you were talking about the home button and the power button on top. I have the manual with the machine but the way I was feeling was just wanting to quit the whole thing. As for the RT pulling my license, no he can't but he was threatening to get the doctor too if I didn't just blindly do what he was telling me.
THANK YOU again so much all who replied especially AlanE and quiescence at last Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
What Alan said.
Install SleepyHead and take charge of your therapy. After all who cares more about your health than ? You do NOT have to allow them to railroad you.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
Oxygen desats are pathetic. This gal is lucky to be alive as opposed to dying in her sleep or having a stroke.

Good luck with your lousy oxygen sats and don't rely too much on SleepyHead unless you have your oxygen sats/desats monitored.

Sleep apnea IS a fact of life for you and that is why you now have a CPAP machine. Suggest that you use it. You will very likely feel a lot better, too.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 396 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 249 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 360 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 619 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 296 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.