Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie to Sleepyhead software - few questions
Newbie to Sleepyhead software - few questions
I was diagnosed with S/A about 18 months ago, with an AHI of 25.

I purchased an Airsense 10 around that time, but was seemingly unable to use it. I'd wake up choking and gasping for air.

I saw a few ENT's and then one who specializes in sleep apnea. They all concurred that I needed a turbinate reduction procedure. I had that done (RF procedure) 6 weeks ago and have started again with my APAP machine, and it's been about 4 days now.

I have had success in that I'm not waking up gasping for air or removing my mask (see profile), but I can't say I'm experiencing the full effects just yet. That said, I am certainly now able to stay with the program long term.

I was able to see by my sleep reports (Clinical mode), that my average pressure is at about 11 or so, so I adjusted the machine to range from 8-20. I may move the minimum pressure back down a bit as a find it a bit overpowering in the period before I fall asleep, but it's just a matter of seat time for me to get fully used to the machine.

My AHI is now averaging around 4 but I don't know enough about this condition to understand all the data I see in the Sleepyhead reports.

If anyone can give me a clue as to what pertinent data I need to look at besides just AHI, I'd appreciate it!

[attachment=2149]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie to Sleepyhead software - few questions
you should update your Machine in your profile to Resmed A10 Autoset (there is no S10 and the A10 or Airsense 10 comes in other models besides autoset)

You should look at the daily reports. Look specifically at leaks and see why your average leak rate is > 27. This renders the AHI untrustworthy....
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2016, 12:50 PM)stevewerth Wrote: I was diagnosed with S/A about 18 months ago, with an AHI of 25.

I purchased an Airsense 10 around that time, but was seemingly unable to use it. I'd wake up choking and gasping for air.

I saw a few ENT's and then one who specializes in sleep apnea. They all concurred that I needed a turbinate reduction procedure. I had that done (RF procedure) 6 weeks ago and have started again with my APAP machine, and it's been about 4 days now.

I have had success in that I'm not waking up gasping for air or removing my mask (see profile), but I can't say I'm experiencing the full effects just yet. That said, I am certainly now able to stay with the program long term.

I was able to see by my sleep reports (Clinical mode), that my average pressure is at about 11 or so, so I adjusted the machine to range from 8-20. I may move the minimum pressure back down a bit as a find it a bit overpowering in the period before I fall asleep, but it's just a matter of seat time for me to get fully used to the machine.

My AHI is now averaging around 4 but I don't know enough about this condition to understand all the data I see in the Sleepyhead reports.

If anyone can give me a clue as to what pertinent data I need to look at besides just AHI, I'd appreciate it!

Welcome to Apnea Board. You will find a wealth of information here as there are a lot of very experienced users here.

I am not a physician but I will offer the following comments for your evaluation:

First download and use Sleepyhead!

An AHI of 3.05 is not bad! In fact after looking at the list of AHI's you are getting effective treatment.

It appears to me that you are changing your settings far too often. There is a well known phenomena known as "first night effects" where the data is essentially bad. You need some longer term data. I would set the low at 7 and the high at 15 on your APAP and then use it for at least two weeks before changing anything.

Once you have that data, then you can make educated estimates as to what needs to be done.

Hang in there!
Sleep-well

Walt
Walter W. Olson, Ph.D., P.E.
Mechanical Engineering
Professor Emeritus, Professional Engineer
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, I have updated the model. Leak above 27...what should it be ideally?

I now have a bruised nasal bridge with sores from having the mask too tight I'm guessing...but it shows a proper seal on the display. So, what's the ideal target number for average leak?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2016, 01:48 PM)stevewerth Wrote: Ok, I have updated the model. Leak above 27...what should it be ideally?

I now have a bruised nasal bridge with sores from having the mask too tight I'm guessing...but it shows a proper seal on the display. So, what's the ideal target number for average leak?

You need to post some screen shots of your data.

Ideal leak is 0. But all masks are designed to leak and there is a mask type number that should be set on your machine. I am not familiar with your machine so I do not know which exact data elment this is put in.

It sounds if your mask is far too tight! You probably should get some HPA Lanolin cream available in the baby section of your pharmacy. Look at the ingredients to make sure it is HPA lanolin. The other stuff did not work for me. You only need the smallest amount.

Walt

Walter W. Olson, Ph.D., P.E.
Mechanical Engineering
Professor Emeritus, Professional Engineer
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a tutorial on how to organize your daily details for a screenshot in Sleepyhead. This information will give us the best information to help.

Have you ever tried a nasal pillows mask or anything other than full-face? Much easier to get a good seal with nasal pillows, and they are more comfortable. Some people can't avoid breathing or leaking via the mouth, but if you can, it's a change for the better.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2016, 01:48 PM)stevewerth Wrote: Ok, I have updated the model. Leak above 27...what should it be ideally?

Leak should be <24 and ideally much less than that 95% of the time for the A10
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
you may find better seal with nasal pillows than the FFM. less area to seal and work great even when nose is stuffy. If you're a mouth breather, a chinstrap, or the tongue suck technique to prevent mouth breathing may still enable you to use the nasal pillows.

tongue suck technique:

place tongue behind front teeth on roof of mouth.
suck lightly to create a light vacuum
make a habit of this.
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi stevewerth,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2016, 02:38 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Here is a tutorial on how to organize your daily details for a screenshot in Sleepyhead. This information will give us the best information to help.

Have you ever tried a nasal pillows mask or anything other than full-face? Much easier to get a good seal with nasal pillows, and they are more comfortable. Some people can't avoid breathing or leaking via the mouth, but if you can, it's a change for the better.
After lurking and reading extensively last week, I ordered the AirFit P10 and it should be in my hands by tomorrow. Hope it helps me get the job done!

I will post detailed screen shots shortly. Just have to up my post count, so I can post links to photobucket! System won't allow link posting until I have 8 posts...

Picked up the HPA Lanolin and will start using it tonight...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Juniper's questions juniper 5 79 5 hours ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 5 95 03-17-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 1 120 03-13-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 441 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 238 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 269 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 230 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.