Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie to group
Newbie to group
Hello,

Another newbie. Began having having a few symptoms of sleep apnea, but my lovely wife of 37 years swears she never heard me stop breathing, nor would I wake up gasping for air. So I really never thought I could have sleep apnea. I attributed my getting up more frequently in the night to go to the bathroom to knowing that I have a constricted bladder neck. But 6 weeks ago I had rotator cuff surgery and bicep tenodesis, and received a nice extra piece of paper in my discharge packet telling me I have presumptive sleep apnea.

So, did the home study and my AHI was 38. I'm now wondering if my wife was looking forward to the life insurance...lol.

I just got my Dreamstation AutoCPAP with heated humidifier two days ago. Because I'm a horrible mouth-breather (deviated septum, seasonal allergies), had to go full face mask, and got the ResMed AirTouch F20. 

Auto setting 4 to 20 with 30 minute ramp. Have now used 4 days, with two nights of AHI of around 17 and two nights around 25. Big culprit in figures are Clear Airway Apneas, which I think may be due to very high leakage. Oh, forgot to mention, I have a short goatee. So going to try some of my beard balm to see if that helps seal. Still waking up too much through night, but the recovery from rotator cuff surgery is also figuring into that piece.

Looking forward to progressing and learning much more about how to make this work as well as possible.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie to group
Welcome to Apnea Board. Feel free to download Sleepyhead on the link below. Also you can pick up a clinic manual in the members private files section.

Good luck with the new machine.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks very much...already picked up SleepyHead, and just sent the request for the machine manual.

Great resource!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Board.  It will take some time to get yourself 'dialed-in' to satisfactory therapy, so don't feel overly concerned just yet...or overwhelmed.  The good folks here will take a look at your run of data when you can provide it...in the form they would like to see it...and then you'll begin a process of refining the therapy.  It'll work, but perhaps not in the form you are using currently.  You may need a different machine, but it's much too early to say just now.

Good luck.  Keep an open mind....it'll really help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi melikou1,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

Since you already have #SleepyHead installed, follow the directions below in my signature line to organize a daily chart from SleepyHead and post results here.

Your profile states you are using a pressure range of 4-20.  A minimum pressure of 4 may be too low.  Most folk feel somewhat air starved at that setting.  

Since you stated that most of your events are Clear Airways, we would need to see some data before advising.  But for now, just for comfort, raise your minimum pressure to 6cm.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Coffee
Welcome to Apnea Board. All the right beginner steps have been mentioned. I've volunteered to see how it goes while on a well earned coffee break.

Best wishes in a very near future success. The mask choice is excellent so obviously a focus on fiddling the straps to get the right fit is a key factor. If that falls flat, maybe a different sized cushion could be the solution. Also, the AirFit silicone F20 cushions pop right into the same frame giving yet another option to nail down the mask.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

post a sleepyhead chart for more help
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi melikou 1 !

Post charts, practice the good advices , be really positive (some night ain't that easy) be patient and you'll succeed.

It worked for a lot of us and it's really worth it . Good luck in your therapy !

Bag-head snorybob.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 5 95 03-17-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 1 120 03-13-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 441 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 238 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 269 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question [Diagnosis] NEWBIE Looking for first diagnosis assistance Gothenburg85 5 333 02-16-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Gothenburg85
  BiPap Newbie - struggling McMartin 6 362 02-01-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.