Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie traveling with CPAP in airport for 1st time
RE: Newbie traveling with CPAP in airport for 1st time
(10-27-2015, 10:43 AM)novatom Wrote:
(10-18-2015, 02:00 AM)player Wrote: Don't hide your weed in the humidifier.

Best answer yet!

Agreed! Hiding weed in one's humidifier can be troublesome going through a TSA Security Check Point in an airport!
Be the change that you wish to see in the world
Post Reply Post Reply
I just returned from a RT between Sacramento and Seattle. At both airports I was told to remove "the motor only" from my CPAP bag. (I was not in the Pre-check line this time.) I always put each part of my machine (blower and humidifier) in a large zip loc bag so that on those occasions when someone is going to handle it or it's going to be on the belt, it stays protected.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-27-2015, 12:47 PM)kaiasgram Wrote: I just returned from a RT between Sacramento and Seattle. At both airports I was told to remove "the motor only" from my CPAP bag. (I was not in the Pre-check line this time.) I always put each part of my machine (blower and humidifier) in a large zip loc bag so that on those occasions when someone is going to handle it or it's going to be on the belt, it stays protected.

The "motor only" is the "blower" of the CPAP, I take it? Most PAPers put their blower and humidifier in large ziplock bags I learned by reading this thread on how to protect CPAP equipment at airports. Kaiasgram, how big are your ziplock bags? The biggest I can find is gallon size.

I love flying into Sacramento Airport (SMF) because it's one of the business airports I frequent in my profession. SMF is ultra modern. I haven't had the chance to fly into Sea-Tac Airport, however. I would like to see the famous space needle in Seattle.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, by "motor" they were referring to the blower unit.

The blower and humidifier of my machine come apart and each unit fits in a gallon size zip loc bag.

The renovated SMF is pretty spiffy.Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't had to take out my CPAP in 2+ years since switching to the Z1. I travel virtually every week and I haven't seen anyone have to remove their big unit in the TSA Pre line.

I do RJ's a lot so my mask, power adapter and hose are in my roller and get gate checked often but the machine stays in my backpack.

Honestly, it you travel a lot then TSA Pre is the way to go.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-30-2015, 05:32 PM)bill-e Wrote: Honestly, it you travel a lot then TSA Pre is the way to go.

TSA Mafia Payoff Tongue You pay and they promise not to molest you!
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-30-2015, 05:32 PM)bill-e Wrote: I haven't had to take out my CPAP in 2+ years since switching to the Z1. I travel virtually every week and I haven't seen anyone have to remove their big unit in the TSA Pre line.

I shall hope that since I am already have a Known Traveler Number (KTN) that allows me to use TSA Pre that I should have an easier time with my CPAP equipment than the regular TSA security line. It's nice that you have the very small Z1 that you can just stick in your backpack.
(11-01-2015, 12:07 AM)DariaVader Wrote:
(10-30-2015, 05:32 PM)bill-e Wrote: Honestly, it you travel a lot then TSA Pre is the way to go.

Paying the TSA Mafia off is great way to have a much easier time with the CPAP equipment and luggage without having to take off the shoes, belts & jackets! However, even though we have the Known Traveler Numbers (KTN) that allow access to the TSA Pre lanes . . . it's still no guarantee that you'll end up there. I find with certain airports that I fly in and out of in the mid-west of the USA and at certain times in my regular business travel between my two most common airports, I get sent over to the regular TSA Security line (even though I have a KTN). The TSA Mafia like to change it up a bit for the people who paid up to get their KTN from them for 5-years! I would say a 70% to 80% of the time I'm in the TSA Pre line depending on where I am in the airports in the USA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2015, 02:24 AM)quip Wrote: Paying the TSA Mafia off is great way to have a much easier time with the CPAP equipment and luggage without having to take off the shoes, belts & jackets! However, even though we have the Known Traveler Numbers (KTN) that allow access to the TSA Pre lanes . . . it's still no guarantee that you'll end up there. I find with certain airports that I fly in and out of in the mid-west of the USA and at certain times in my regular business travel between my two most common airports, I get sent over to the regular TSA Security line (even though I have a KTN). The TSA Mafia like to change it up a bit for the people who paid up to get their KTN from them for 5-years! I would say a 70% to 80% of the time I'm in the TSA Pre line depending on where I am in the airports in the USA.
Most airlines get you you either TSA Pre or in my case, Global Entry for free if you have status. I guess that I've been lucky because I've never been sent to the other line and I go through TSA at least 80 times a year.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2015, 02:24 AM)quip Wrote:
(10-30-2015, 05:32 PM)bill-e Wrote: I haven't had to take out my CPAP in 2+ years since switching to the Z1. I travel virtually every week and I haven't seen anyone have to remove their big unit in the TSA Pre line.

I shall hope that since I am already have a Known Traveler Number (KTN) that allows me to use TSA Pre that I should have an easier time with my CPAP equipment than the regular TSA security line. It's nice that you have the very small Z1 that you can just stick in your backpack.
(11-01-2015, 12:07 AM)DariaVader Wrote:

Paying the TSA Mafia off is great way to have a much easier time with the CPAP equipment and luggage without having to take off the shoes, belts & jackets! However, even though we have the Known Traveler Numbers (KTN) that allow access to the TSA Pre lanes . . . it's still no guarantee that you'll end up there. I find with certain airports that I fly in and out of in the mid-west of the USA and at certain times in my regular business travel between my two most common airports, I get sent over to the regular TSA Security line (even though I have a KTN). The TSA Mafia like to change it up a bit for the people who paid up to get their KTN from them for 5-years! I would say a 70% to 80% of the time I'm in the TSA Pre line depending on where I am in the airports in the USA.

A relative who has this service said that happened to her recently. Since I rarely travel, I figure it isn't worth paying for access to a tsa pre lane and instead, I go to the peon linesSmile However, I will be traveling at the beginning of next year so hopefully, my trip will be as uneventful as it was when I traveled earlier year and had zero problems other than the usual annoyances of going through security.

49er

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 376 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 202 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,416 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 614 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.