Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie trying to install OSCAR on old MAC
Newbie trying to install OSCAR on old MAC
Hello,
I was diagnosed with OSA about a month ago and have been trying to titrate my AirSense 11. I bought an SD card so i could install OSCAR, but the latest version won't install with my current software. I can't buy a new computer or upgrade the software right now, so is there a version that will work with:
OS X EL CAPITAN
Version 10.11.6
iMAC, Late 2013
Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie trying to install OSCAR on old MAC
The bad news, as you have seen from the download page, is that the currently available distribution requires maxOS 10.12 Sierra.

The perhaps good news is that OSCAR can still be compiled with QT 5.9, which is available for macOS 10.10 through 10.12. So if you have or can find the development packages (X Code version ?), you can install QT 5.9 (Still, I think) and download the source from gitlab and compile your own version of OSCAR.

If that is beyond your comfort level, OSCAR can be run on Chromebooks or a RaspberryPi 400. Those are the lowest cost alternatives that I know of.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
For completeness, another option is to create a Linux virtual machine on your Mac and install OSCAR on that. This will take some tech expertise but probably less than building OSCAR from scratch. The latest version of VirtualBox (which is free) no longer works on Big Sur but you can still download VirtualBox 5. A different virtualization product, Parallels, is not free but does still support Big Sur.

This could be an exercise in frustration if you aren't computer savvy, but if you are or know someone who can help you then it shouldn't be that hard to use once it is set up (including making the SD card plugged into the Mac accessible by the virtual machine).
Post Reply Post Reply
OP is using El Capitan, which is macOS 10.11.6 ---considerably older than Big Sur, which is macOS 11

Not sure if VB is available for El Capiatn

Gota love Apples numbering, but the Wikipedia article makes it clear
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, my bad on the naming! But I do believe that VirtualBox 5 runs on OS X 10.11. From Wikipedia:

Quote:Support for (Mac) OS X 10.10 Yosemite and OS X 10.11 El Capitan was removed with VirtualBox 6.0.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your iMac, Late 2013 can upgrade to 10.12 Sierra, or 10.13 High Sierra, bith compatible with the current OSCAR.

Not sure if "can't upgrade the software right now" means the OS.

Upgrading the OS is probably your best option.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] OSCAR v1.5.2 is Install Problems millerdq 1 44 Yesterday, 03:29 PM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  OSCAR Windows Portable No-Install CraigKevin 17 2,387 03-14-2024, 02:25 AM
Last Post: Ossy01
Question Failed drive, now cannot install or uninstall Oscar jmac862 8 739 01-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: SGKent
  Can't install Oscar. Ficklid22 14 1,575 11-13-2023, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question Newbie to CPAP but going to use OSCAR Jimmy Lotus 4 710 08-31-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question Oscar Newbie looking for help weldon123 6 1,025 08-24-2023, 07:38 PM
Last Post: Nehpets
  Oscar newbie here needtobreath 2 438 08-23-2023, 06:40 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.