Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airflow delay on AirSense 10 Autoset for Her
Airflow delay on AirSense 10 Autoset for Her
Hello All,

I'm new here and hoping to find some help. I'm coming off an old resmed lightweight s7 and going to an Airsense 10 autoset for her.  So far, I can't make the switch.  I've tried everything I can figure out to change the settings to what I'm used to on my old machine to help in the transition.
The biggest issue I'm having is with this adjusting airflow.  It backs off when I exhale.  I get that.  But when I start to inhale, there is no air yet, and I feel like I can't breathe.  There is a lag, a delay for the air to return.  I've turned off the ERP, changed it to straight CPAP, and can't get that part to stop.

Any ideas?  Appreciate your help.

Thank you

Cindy
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Airflow delay on AirSense 10 Autoset for Her
Only thing I can think to change is the mask setting. Which mask are you using?
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
What were your settings for pressure on your old machine, and what are they on the new A10? Most often the issue you are having is caused by the Start Ramp pressure and/or minimum pressure is set too low. Also is your EPR on and what is it set at?
Post Reply Post Reply
You have an Autoset but running it on CPAP.  Your CPAP pressure is 13?
You know how to get into the clinicians menu so go in and set to AUTO.
Turn EPR off and RAMP off.  Pressure to 10 low and 16 high and unless you have a mask problem it should run as you expect it to.
Auto can have a smart start, it is up to you if you have that on or not, but if it is on, it will delay starting until you take your first breath and this can have a slight delay.  Also when they start up they work their way up to set pressure, this only takes a few seconds, but of you are not uses to it, it can take you by surprise.  If you do not want smart start on, turn it off in the menu.

Try to see what happens.
If it works, you can then try EPR and the rest slowly, one at a time.

If you still have a problem, it is either the machine or you are using Nasal Pillows of to small a size. It does say in your profile that you are using a nasal mask and not pillows, so you might be able to ignore the comment of nasal pillows.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2018, 01:27 PM)cindy75 Wrote: Hello All,

I'm new here and hoping to find some help. I'm coming off an old resmed lightweight s7 and going to an Airsense 10 autoset for her.  So far, I can't make the switch.  I've tried everything I can figure out to change the settings to what I'm used to on my old machine to help in the transition.
The biggest issue I'm having is with this adjusting airflow.  It backs off when I exhale.  I get that.  But when I start to inhale, there is no air yet, and I feel like I can't breathe.  There is a lag, a delay for the air to return.  I've turned off the ERP, changed it to straight CPAP, and can't get that part to stop.

Any ideas?  Appreciate your help.

Thank you

Cindy

Cindy, the Resmed has come a long way since you got your S7.  I think you may be experiencing the pressure reduction of Exhale Pressure Relief (EPR).  You can disable EPR by turning it off or select any setting of 1 to 3 cm pressure reduction.  The Airsense 10 will cycle to the exhale pressure when you exhale, but it does not anticipate your inhale and the pressure rises fairly quickly as you trigger the inspiration pressure.  The #Sleepyhead graphs actually let you see what is  going on with mask pressure.   If you are accustomed to a fixed pressure of 13 without EPR that is going to be a new feeling for you, and you have the choice to turn EPR off or use a lower setting of 1 or 2.  For a real experience, try switching to Autoset mode so the machine automatically increases pressure as needed. 

Download #Sleepyhead software and let's see how your therapy is actually working out.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2018, 01:27 PM)cindy75 Wrote: The biggest issue I'm having is with this adjusting airflow.  It backs off when I exhale.  I get that.  But when I start to inhale, there is no air yet, and I feel like I can't breathe.  There is a lag, a delay for the air to return.  I've turned off the ERP, changed it to straight CPAP, and can't get that part to stop.

I just started trying my AirSense 10 Autoset with the P10 pillows two nights ago. The first night I had issues with insufficient flow (felt like I couldn't take enough air in) so I came on here and found advice to turn the ramp off. Last night I tried it with no ramp, which helped a lot with adequate breath intake.

However, last night I experienced the same issue cindy75 describes - the lag between the machine's inhale and exhale pressure. By the time I finish inhaling and start to exhale, it takes a split second to adjust, so there is this moment of extra pressure when I begin to exhale, and vice versa (when I am done exhaling and starting to inhale, it takes a second to raise pressure again). I found this extremely distracting! 

Does the timing of the pressure changes improve once you fall asleep, or is this just another thing that takes a while to get used to? I don't know if I'm able to adjust the EPR?

I used to play a wind instrument (was a music performance major) so I am particularly aware of breath control, lunch capacity, and timing issues, unfortunately...

Thank you for any advice!
Post Reply Post Reply
Does that machine have a "trigger sensitivity" ? I know mines does, and I initially set inhale to very low, and exhale to medium, and no delay on rise time. Made things a lot nicer as I was feeling like i was inhaling and there was nothing there for a split second.

once i got it to the stage i was feeling like there was no delay I found I was getting a big "hit" of air as i started to inhale, so upping pressure by another 0.4 (to 14.4) on inhale and setting rise time delay to 150 mS now makes it feel effortless when exhaling and then inhaling, like i'm breathing with no machine, just a mild sense of "assistance" and no big blast of air into the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-27-2018, 03:56 PM)matthewb Wrote: Does that machine have a "trigger sensitivity" ? I know mines does, and I initially set inhale to very low, and exhale to medium, and no delay on rise time. Made things a lot nicer as I was feeling like i was inhaling and there was nothing there for a split second.

once i got it to the stage i was feeling like there was no delay I found I was getting a big "hit" of air as i started to inhale, so upping pressure by another 0.4 (to 14.4) on inhale and setting rise time delay to 150 mS now makes it feel effortless when exhaling and then inhaling, like i'm breathing with no machine, just a mild sense of "assistance" and no big blast of air into the mask.

I've only just begun to go into the clinician settings and mess around - there is a Response setting (standard or soft) but I don't know if that applies to EPR or just to the normal pressure increases in response to apneas.

I changed my EPR from 3 to 2 and that helped a little bit with the lag but it's still quite noticeable and disturbing. I may try EPR of 1 next. I've not yet been able to fall asleep with this d*mn thing going (and usually I fall asleep within 5 minutes of hitting the pillow!)...

Does reducing or turning off EPR completely make it easier to ignore your breathing and fall asleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
On the Autoset machines there is no way to change the timing of the exhale pressure reduction only by how much the pressure reduces. On a resmed machine an EPR of one reduces the pressure by 1 cm an EPR of 3 reduces the pressure by 3. You can try any of the EPR settings even 0 to find if any of them is more comfortable for you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 412 2 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 110 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 840 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 168 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 615 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 216 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
  Dreamstation II -> AirSense 11 AutoSet todivefor 10 656 02-23-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: drwoodr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.