Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie w/questions regarding cpap
Question 
Newbie w/questions regarding cpap
Hi all,

I'm new to the world of sleep apnea, and have a question for those of you who have dealt with this a while.

A couple weeks ago, at the behest of my wife, I went through a sleep study. This did not include the use of the machine, just all the monitoring wires. From this it was determined I have sleep apnea, and another sleep study was ordered, to be tested on a machine I assume. This second test is extremely expensive apparently, almost 10 times what the first one was, unfortunately its outside of my affordability and they are unwilling to setup payment plans. For those who have been through this, is there any way to bypass this second test, and just get a machine? Any kind of a machine that does not need to be programmed, or can program itself by looking at the stats over a one week period, for instance?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie w/questions regarding cpap
First test was likely just to monitor you for sleep apnea. 2nd test is a titration to determine treatment pressures.
Usually not 10x more expensive. But depends on were you are.

In the US, a prescription is required to get a machine. In other countries an Rx may not be required.
If you are in the US, I cannot make any suggestion that you violate US law.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sibertiger,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't know the answer to your question but hang in there and someone will be along to help you.
Best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2014, 10:26 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi sibertiger,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't know the answer to your question but hang in there and someone will be along to help you.
Best of luck.

Actually, in another post you seem to have given me an answer:

(04-09-2014, 07:59 AM)trish6hundred Wrote: The auto is better because it will adjust to the pressure you need and an auto machine can be used as a straight CPAP machine as well.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.

So if I am reading this right, I could have my dr prescribe an auto machine for me, and it would take care of the pressure settings I need, and eliminate the need for the second sleep study. Or as mentioned in the other thread, perhaps I could do a home study with an auto machine.

Thanks Trish.

Post Reply Post Reply
I did not have a second study. I had one study and based on it the sleep doc prescribed an S9 Autoset. She initially set it's pressures in accordance to what she felt would be appropriate. So based on my experience only, I would say that your primary care doc should be able to access the results from the first sleep study and make decisions based on what they found. It could be something else is in play where the ultimate decision would be no decision at all. But the place to start is with your Doc.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2014, 10:44 PM)sibertiger Wrote: So if I am reading this right, I could have my dr prescribe an auto machine for me, and it would take care of the pressure settings I need, and eliminate the need for the second sleep study.
Thanks Trish.
yes providing your diagnoses is just plain old simple apnea and you,re prepared to put the time and effort to make it work. Also an auto-PAP is not like an automatic car, just put the gear box on D and drive away, it take some tweaking, trial and error
Actually the mask is most essential for effective therapy, having someone local you can call upon to trail different masks is also important

If you,re looking for ResMed auto machine, you don,t want any machine with Escape in the name
Here is wiki recommendation http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sibertiger,
I would start out by talking to your Dr. and see what he/she has to say. You don't necessarily have to have a sleep doc write a prescription for a machine.
hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum sibertiger, I am in Australia so am in no position to offer advice on the way to go about things in your country, sorry.
But I am sure the good people here will give you excellent advice on the whys and wherefores of what to do.
The best of luck to you on your journey.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply

Thanks all,
Spoke with my doc, and he said no worries, we'll just go with the auto cpap and tweak as necessary. Thanks all for the help.
I'm thinking of the Respironics, from what I've read online, its algorithim is faster to respond when changes in pressure are needed.

(04-13-2014, 11:24 PM)zonk Wrote: If you,re looking for ResMed auto machine, you don,t want any machine with Escape in the name
Here is wiki recommendation http: //www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Archangle:Machine_Choices

Oddly enough, my wife has an S9 Escape Auto+. What issues are there she should be aware of?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2014, 10:12 AM)sibertiger Wrote: Thanks all,
Spoke with my doc, and he said no worries, we'll just go with the auto cpap and tweak as necessary. Thanks all for the help.
I'm thinking of the Respironics, from what I've read online, its algorithim is faster to respond when changes in pressure are needed.

Good job Tiger. You'll enjoy whichever of the auto's you get.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 146 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 376 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 479 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.