Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie, with Questions
Newbie, with Questions
Hello. I have been dealing with A-Fib for 14 years. Had ablation in 2006. Got tested for Sleep apnea and said I had it. Tried CPAP then, couldn't sleep with it and ignored it. 

In 2010 had a couple episodes of A-Fib, so looked around and found band for positional sleeping. Keeps me on my side or stomach where I usually sleep. After using this, no more episodes for a few years, and was sleeping better.

Last few years, have not been sleeping that good. Afib flared up daily in August 17. Had ablation in December 17. Just got tested again for Sleep Apnea. I brought my band for positional sleeping so I stayed sleeping on my side or slept a couple of hours sitting up.

Results said multiple events of OSA. My question is how can you airway get blocked if the tongue cant collapse and block it due to gravity?
Is it genetic with my airway relaxing further down and that causes this?
I'm only about 10 lbs overweight, so I don't think that's part of the problem.

While I wait for appointment with sleep doctor to try other alternatives and then new CPAP if I have to, a couple of other questions:

Anybody tried the Provent nose valves or the tongue device that holds it with suction?

Thanks,
Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie, with Questions
Obstructive apnea can occur in any position, otherwise, none of us would need positive pressure therapy to sleep. Sleeping on your side, weight loss and other techniques may reduce the event rate, but it's not a cure. It may be your apnea is a contributing factor in your A-fib. Frankly, I think your attempts to avoid CPAP are futile. Proper CPAP therapy is comfortable and you will wonder how you ever slept without it. Probably the most promising alternative is INSPIRE which uses electric pulses to tighten the throat when restriction is detected, but it's really only for mild cases. Sooner or later you will start CPAP, or you may not be here to try.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
From what I read its not always your tongue that blocks things , the throat can fall closed too as muscles get weaker with age.
Post Reply Post Reply
HI billgou,
WELCONE! to the forum.!
Good luck, with your decision to do cpap therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Billgou,
My brother snores terribly, is overweight and refuses to be tested for OSA. He also has atrial fib. Not saying one causes the other, but OSA can certainly trigger AF events.

OSA isn't necessarily linked to obesity. Some people just have a jaw and tongue structure that predisposes them to it.

I was diagnosed about 10 years ago and struggled through the difficulties related to cpap insomnia. But through persistence and help from forum members, I eventually solved many of my issues. Now masking up is just a normal part of going to bed and is no big deal...other then feeling better, losing weight, BP more controllable, no more night sweats and gasping awake in the middle of the night.

People die from this...so I'd just say to you...quit trying to explain away your need for cpap and get to work making cpap work for you. Think of this as a little tough love...not criticism.

For me, it was finding and fine tuning the right mask and using mask liners. Plus adding a little melatonin at bedtime to help me nod off.
Good luck,
JD (new here also)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Juniper's questions juniper 5 76 38 minutes ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 5 93 03-17-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 1 120 03-13-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 439 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 236 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 268 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 230 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.