Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie with Sleep Apnea, RLS & Bruxism, Desperate for Advice
RE: Newbie with Sleep Apnea, RLS & Bruxism, Desperate for Advice
Hi Jenna. I'm new to the board, but was wondering how you were doing with the CPAP, now that your tests are over. Are you sleeping better? I have similar issues, and have found relief over time, learning along the way what works for me.

Of course everyone is different, but a few things were helpful to me. I use a plastic dental guard for bruxism, which keeps my teeth from wearing down more, and helps my jaw feel less sore. I hope your splint thing is helping you.

I've always had RLS, which runs in my family, but it was made MUCH worse by a B12 deficiency, and subsequent anemia. You may know from your Nutrition studies, that B12 deficiency is more common now, even in people who eat B12-rich diets. Generally, people lose the ability to absorb both B12 and iron as they age, but it can also be caused by an auto-immune disorder, or, surprisingly, by long-term antacid use. Also, anemia, and even just borderline low iron can make RLS worse. It could be worth having your Dr. check your levels. I take B12, Folate, and Iron supplements now, and it makes a huge difference. I also take Mirapex, which gives me TOTAL relief from the RLS. Smile Neurontin did not help my RLS, but I had no bad side effects from it, or from the withdrawal.

Are you adapting to the mask now? The right mask, with no leaks, and a little time to get used to it, can make life so much better! I hope things are improving for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jenna,

I had bad migraines when I started my CPAP therapy. (I have herniated discs, severe stenosis and foraminal narrowing in my cervical vertebrae. ) It was from the way I had the mask adjusted. My neck would twist just the wrong way and I'd get a headache. Once I fixed that and got a softer pillow those headaches decreased.

The PLM / RLS just happens. I think that severity depends upon how tired I am. I'd been on gabapentin, but never remembered to take it regularly, so I didn't notice an effect. You need to take it every 8 hours.

I grind my teeth and always use a mouth guard. You need this, or you will grind your teeth away. You can quickly massage the massiter muscle to release it to try to stop the grinding, but you will have to do this each night. I'm sure that you can find a video on YouTube. Try the TapFit mask -I can't wait to try it!

Good luck!

Cindy

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi CynthiaMueller,

Can you tell me what the TapFit mask is, please?

Thanks!

Amelie
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 5 95 03-17-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 37 1,524 03-17-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 97 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 54 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 114 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 1 120 03-13-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 13 279 03-12-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.