Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie with a Raw nose
Ohmy 
Newbie with a Raw nose
Hello Everyone!

Thank you for letting me join the forum.  I am very newly diagnosed with Sleep Apnea (1 week today).  I am using the AirSense 10 Autoset for her with a Swift FX Nasal pillow headset.  I really like the nasal pillow at first.  But I have one side of my nostril that it has rubbed raw or not sure how but it hurts like the dickens.

At this point, I am going to not use my CPAP machine till it heals.  Unless someone has some great technique to share that it will not continue to irate my nostril.  I called the Medical Supply company and they wanted me to return my nasal pillow for a mask.  I really do not want to give up on the nasal pillow.  I'm not sure how I would handle the mask.

Any advice, I would love to hear.

Thank you again.
Sharnie
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie with a Raw nose
some ideas
go to dme and get another type of mask, that doesn't press where the sore is. You can then rotate these till your skin toughens.
Put a bandaid/sticking plaster. Or any of the thinner membranes that are used on the body. There will be a shelf full, you can also use these until healed.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you know about how much a mask cost?  Are they expensive?  How do I know if they were with my unit? 

Thank you for the reply!

Sharnie
Post Reply Post Reply
Lanolin cream works well. Just put a dab where it's sore and it will coat and protect it. You can pick it up at any drug store.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, I will stop and look for the Lanolin cream.  The worse part is it as split open the raw spot, so when my air pressure gets up to 13, it fills like it is being ripped open further. 

Sharnie
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sharnie,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Get some HPA Lanolin cream, (found in the baby isle of most stores). Just put a bit on the soar spot on your nose, a little gose a long way.
Good luck with CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Sores like that are often the result of moisture, so be sure to keep the nasal pillows clean and dry. If you are getting condensation, either turn down humidity, or use a heated hose and fleece hose cover to keep things warmer and avoid droplets of moisture.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Sleeprider. I have the humidifier on Auto. Should I change that?  I have the heated hose as well. 

My nose runs a lot. Could this be why?  If so, suggestions for that?

Sorry I am asking newbie questions, I just want to have better sleep. I was shocked to say the least that I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. Never dreamed I have it. 

Sharnie
Post Reply Post Reply
With a split in your nostril, I really would be using another mask till it heals and then try again. You need a mask that goes over you nose and covers your mouth, for when you have a cold and stuffy nose anyway.

A f20 seems to fit most people, even if you buy it out of pocket. It may be worth it
[Image: xmask_blue.png.pagespeed.ic_.FIy18kB-vM.png]
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Healing is the first priority. Many members use the brand name Lansinoh to get relief. Once it is healed. really anything goes. Auto would work better with a heated hose and hose cover. I use manual settings which provide better results, but when you're ready to get back to nasal pillows, keep in mind that having dry, but comfortable air flow is the objective. A hose cover makes a huge difference for comfort, as well as maintaining temperature. I often find the hose is brushing my face, or on the pillow, and the fleece hose cover makes a world of difference.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 384 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 132 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,814 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 197 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 152 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.