Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie with nose pillows
Newbie with nose pillows
My questions have probably been asked and answered here on this board so I apologize ahead of time for not finding them. I was probably using the wrong search terms.

I'm new to this and haven't really had any success.
I bought a Respironics Dream Station and a Resmed Nasal mask which I tried for a few nights.
It froze the inside of my nose so I then ordered  nasal pillows and adjusted the pressure all the way down to 4.5.
I lie there with all this air going into my nose and out my mouth. I see discussions about using chin straps but there's really no way for air to be exhaled.
I avoided buying the CPAP machine through the clinic that tested me since they quoted double the price of Amazon (respirologists are slapping their heads now).
Should I:
Go see a pro?
Try a full face mask?
Stick with what I've got and get used to it?
Lose 20 pounds, do neck exercises and re-purpose my machine to inflate ballons?

Thanks,
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie with nose pillows
If you are inhaling through your nose then you exhale through your nose as well.
I was a lifelong mouth breather..practicing breathing with nasal pillows while sitting up awake watching TV a few evenings helped a lot with keeping my mouth shut while sleeping.

Hint - there is a flap in the back of your throat that should open and close when you are breathing through your nose..pressing your tongue flat against the roof of your mouth 10 times will exercise the flap.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2020, 04:43 PM)harrywr2 Wrote: If you are inhaling through your nose then you exhale through your nose as well.

Thanks for your reply.

I can't exhale through the nasal thing. It only has tiny holes.
Post Reply Post Reply
WHat model of Nasal pillow are you using?

I've used both the P10 and P30i. If the straps are too tight then inhaling and exhaling is a problem.
With the machine off the pillows should just rest against your nostrils. Once there is pressure they blow up a bit like a balloon and form a seal.
Post Reply Post Reply
I assume you mean nasal pillows?  Try a larger size nasal pillow.  The pillows should not be inserted into your nostrils, but just sit outside of them.  

If you feel you are unable to use nasal pillows properly, then the next best thing to try is a full face mask.  

The air needs to go down your throat, not out your mouth. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The critical prerequisite to using nasal therapy is not letting air escape from your mouth. The facts are, you can exhale through your nose, even with the machine providing pressure and through small exhale vents, it's actually effortless once you stop the airflow through your mouth. You can use a nasal pillows mask and control the air enough to talk, drink, and inhale or exhale orally without a leak, but that takes some practice. Considering the problem so far, I think you might be happier with a full face mask so that the pressure is the same at your mouth and nose.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I 'm using an Airfit P30i
I can exhale enough air to allow another breath in, or so it feels like.
Post Reply Post Reply
Im going to suggest that you raise your minimum pressure to 6cm with a Flex setting at 1.
A minimum setting of 4 can cause you to feel air starved.

This change should give you more air and probably feel more comfortable breathing.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oops, typo. I meant to say 'can't ' above.
I feel like I'm getting too much air even with the machine set at 4.5 and can't exhale enough of it before it's time to take another breath.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bryan, any COPD or other health issues?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hybrid Masks more comfortable than over the nose FF mask? sleepingbetterinFl 1 57 Yesterday, 11:51 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 12 197 04-17-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: jake79
  Dripping Nose Lesley19 3 117 04-10-2024, 01:50 AM
Last Post: Lesley19
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,104 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 113 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 191 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 174 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.