Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie with nose pillows
RE: Newbie with nose pillows
Flex settings are not directly comparable to EPR. The flex 3 relief peak is about the same as EPR 2, and does not maintain it as long. At this point, I’d suggest at least flex 2 and probably flex 3.

What are the hose type and mask type set to on the machine? I will bet the mask type is set to X0, which is what the manual says for non-Respironics masks, but it’s WRONG. I would set it to X1, or even X2 is not unreasonable for a pillow mask. The mask type setting can make a big difference, but it is poorly understood by many.

You are quite correct that those little vent holes are not big enough to handle your peak exhalation airflow. They are not meant to. There will be a little backflow down the hose at the peak, but that exhaled air will then get flushed back out of the vents after exhalation slows.

Along with the flex setting, the hose type and mask type settings all affect how the machine regulates the pressure as you inhale and exhale. If they are set wrong, it can feel like breathing through a straw.

In a nutshell, that feeling that you can’t exhale enough to make room for the next breath is a setting problem, not a mask problem. Been there. Exhaling through your mouth is not the answer either. Don’t worry, we CAN fix it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Btw, when I sat the X0 setting is wrong, I don’t mean it is a mistake. I mean that they only recommend that to absolve themselves of responsibility for another company’s masks. From a technical perspective, it is only correct if you put the end of the hose directly in your mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the understanding my issue ragtopcircus!
I haven't been using the machine but will give it another go.

I will try to adjust the machine to Flex 2
I  don't have any COPD issues and I'm not on any medication (went for a nice cross country ski yesterday in fact).
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2020, 09:04 AM)BryanBowse Wrote: Thanks for the understanding my issue ragtopcircus!
I haven't been using the machine but will give it another go.

I will try to adjust the machine to Flex 2
I  don't have any COPD issues and I'm not on any medication (went for a nice cross country ski yesterday in fact).

Don’t forget to check the mask type also. This setting is widely misunderstood but quite important.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure how to change the setting from X0 to X1 or 2.
In fact, I've fiddled with the settings so much, I have a feeling the whole thing is out of whack.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, resetting the settings to default and starting over is an option.

To get into the provider menu, press in and hold the dial and ramp button for 5 seconds. The mask and tube type are on the second screen of the comfort menu. You can also unlock them so you can easily change the mask type as needed from the regular menus.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 393 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,782 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 196 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 202 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.