Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie with questions
RE: Newbie with questions
That is a real cheapo mask. Nothing wrong with that, IF IT WORKS... But it sounds like in your case it does not. You need to lean on your DME and make them get you something that works for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your profile indicates that you are not using software to review your data. Both ResScan and Sleepyhead software is available in the forum here and it is compatible with your listed machine. Using the software will allow you to track your leak data (and a whole bunch of other things) which can then be used to evaluate the effectiveness of the different masks and mask modifications you try.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Still struggling with Mask
Hi Everyone:
I went back to the DME and complained about the mask leaking air and squeaking and how it was waking me up. I requested the ComfortGel Mask. He was pretty nice and gave me one. It seemed like it fit snugger and I was encouraged.
Unfortunately, it is leaving a bruise on the bridge of my nose. I tried adjusting it and padding it with gauze but it was too painful. I removed the blue ComfortGel and inserted it into my original face mask. It was a much better fit and didn't pinch my nose, but the seal wasn't perfect and it leaked air. I now also have a sinus infection and am on antibiotics and nasal steroids. UGH! My glasses are resting on the tender spot on my nose that the mask pinched. Ouch.
Now what mask do I go after? I have read about other people loving the Dream-something mask. Should I ask for that?
On a positive note, my numbers went from 58 to 11 episodes per hour so the machine is working. If only I could find a mask that works.
Also, I got the heated tube which is much better for me than the regular tube that was blowing cold air.
Thank you for your kind interest and wisdom.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Still struggling with Mask
(11-20-2015, 09:58 AM)Hollyboop Wrote: On a positive note, my numbers went from 58 to 11 episodes per hour so the machine is working. If only I could find a mask that works.

Try a ResMed "P10" or a Respironics "Nuance" Nasal Pillow mask. (they're very similar)

They only touch the bottom of your nose and have a low contact pressure and small contact area and shouldn't irritate anything.

Your DME should be happy to swap out your mask, since it's injuring you.

Post Reply Post Reply
The dream something mask is the dreamwear mask reviewed extensively by members elsewhere on this forum. Just type in dreamwear in search and you will find it.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
The Amara View is a full face mask that doesn't touch the bridge of the nose. Very nice when time is needed to heal a sore.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hollyboop,
Have you looked at masks w/less contact area? Masks like the "Hybrid" ffm have considerably less area to seal. Comes in 3 sizes w/3 pillow sizes. Also tends to hold your mouth closed. I used FFM for years until nose bridge couldn't take it anymore. Take a looksee and see what you think. Search: RespCare Hybrid HYB500

Cheers,
otrpu
Love your family, treat your friend(s) well, and don't waste your time. Everything else is just so much BS. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the RemZzzs mask liners, which I bought off of Amazon. They come 30 to a package, and I can use one liner for about 4 to 5 nights until it is stretched too much. My wife initially tried to wash and iron them for my reuse, but it failed miserably.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 159 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 386 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 133 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 192 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 484 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.