Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie with setup questions for AirCurve 10 ASV
RE: Newbie with setup questions for AirCurve 10 ASV
SleepRider, my background and need for ASV is as follows. My sleep study showed I was just barely in the moderate range of sleep apnea with AHI of 16, which were mainly hypopneas and some treatment emergent CAs.  OSAs not really an issue.  Titration tests with CPAP and BIPAP did not treat the CAs, so did a second study and the ASV worked for the CAs. My oxygen level issue was only in the Mild range with 87%. 

Dave, thanks for the check of machine settings. 

So, should I try the PS range of 1-6, or 0-5?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
If we think lowering IPAP Max of 2 will get you the aerophagia help, there's 3 ways to get there that I can think of.

1. Edit PS to 0-5

2. Edit EPAP Max -2 of current

3. Edit PS to 1-6 and lower EPAP Max by 1

If you show little to zero obstructive events currently, option 2 would be what I'd do. I'd try it in this order #2, try it and if you get OA move EPAP Max up 1 then edit PS to 1-6. I do think PS is about as low as we can go to work on centrals.

Hopefully to clarify, let's go with EPAP Max down 1 or 2. Monitor everything closely. Note if aerophagia goes down and if any events go up. Consider "How you feel", did it change, and how it did change. This all helps decide if that edit works out. If it goes bad with big numbers increase or it feels bad, you could add back the EPAP Max. Update how it goes.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave,

I’ll go with option 2.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
My recommendation for settings to mitigate aerophagia with the absolute minimum effective pressure is for EPAP min 4, EPAP max 6. PS min 0, PS max 7. I'd like to move PS max up, but you seem to respond to the 7. This will cut back the highest pressure you experience to 13 cm from the 17 max you have now, while not reducing your effective PS. I think the lower EPAP max will still offer efficacy against OA events.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Makes sense. There's more range with EPAP as-is to juggle/edit and to minimize negatives. I'll defer in this as I may have inadvertently put in too much "what I'd do for my unique situation" in.

Additional thought: a more narrow EPAP range could go into the PS range now or later, where it may be better allocation given the IPAP cap goals.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, that makes sense. I’ll try that. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2019, 06:41 PM)WildSteelhead Wrote: I have attached below two nights of data.  What I seem to be experiencing consistently is the air being pushed into my stomach.  So, what happens is I get some going down, I feel like it is kind of stuck going down, and I have to force a burp to clear it.  Needless to say, that wakes me up and is preventing me from sleeping.  Seems like I need the pressured air to be able to do its thing, but not to the extent of causing this, which wakes me up and defeats the whole purpose of using this.  This is why I've only gotten about 3 - 3.5 hours the last two nights in using this because I'm just not sleeping well and need to be able to get SOME sleep before going to work.

Thanks.

Hi WildSteelhead,

I still think you might find some relief from Aerophagia by trying a nasal version of the DreamWare mask.  

I cant post links here for you but just checked Amazon to check on prices for the parts to also use parts of your DreamWare FFM mask as a Nasal Dreamware Mask.  

You would need to buy the Nasal version of the Headgear (the straps) .. saw that at $18.21

You would need to buy either the "Respironics Dream Wear" "Gel Cushion" or Gel Pillow" in the same size as your FFM.  So in Medium if your wearing a Medium FFM.   I saw both the Cushion and Pillow in Medium with free shipping for around $20.  

So for ~$40 you can have a Nasal version of the Dreamware mask. 

I wear a nasal mask.  Whenever I feel the pressure build that would have ended up in my stomach I just part my lips a little when the pressure is slight and I "just take a natural full relaxed breath through my mouth" if the pressure is large.  This has become such an easy ingrained habit I do not notice when it happens.    

WillSleep

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
WillSleep,
Funny you mentioned that. My DME called today and said I can get a new mask for free, so I will get the DreamWare nasal mask and try that.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
The benefits of nasal therapy can't be overstated in the presence of aerophagia as it is much more difficult to swallow air when breathing nasally than orally. Air entering the stomach is essentially the pressure over-powering the lower esophageal sphincter (LES). The same thing happens in reverse with GERD where stomach contents or gases can enter the esophagus through the LES. Considering the relatively low pressures at which you are affected by this problem, you may be aware of a problem with GERD or reflux, or should consider having an evaluation to look for silent gastric disease or other underlying conditions.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2576329/
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/8229/d2...138ac9.pdf
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2019, 09:20 PM)WildSteelhead Wrote: WillSleep,
Funny you mentioned that. My DME called today and said I can get a new mask for free, so I will get the DreamWare nasal mask and try that.

Thanks

Cool!

Honestly, given that you can get the parts to make a DreamWare Nasal Mask from Amazon for only $40 I would use this opportunity to buy a completely different mask .. a lower risk path to making sure you will find a nasal mask that works for you. 

I would buy one of the four popular mask below.

The Bleep mask has some cool factor and possibly is the easiest mask to prevent leaks.  If I have the reading right a Bleep mask year's supply of all the 'dreamports' required could be worth hundreds of dollars.  

The P30i is a new DreamWare competitor.     

It has been said the N20 is the easiest mask for people to get used to.

The P10 is the mask that made Pillow masks popluar.  

WillSleep

[Product Review]   Bleep Sleep Mask

[Product Review]   Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask

[Product Review]   AirFit™ N20 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear

[Product Review]   Resmed AirFit P10

More reviews  http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-C...sk-Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 112 Yesterday, 10:29 AM
Last Post: johnbrain
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 160 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 390 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,679 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 312 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 134 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 193 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.