Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie with some Wisp mask questions
Hi, folks! New CPAP user here. Thanks for all of the tips you've already given me by having these great resources online. Smile I just got my machine last week & I have already had to make two big changes to it: adding a heated hose and changing from CFlex+ to regular CFlex. (This solved my two big problems of water up my nose and feeling like I was being asphyxiated.)

So now I'm tackling my next issue, which is the way my nasal mask keeps sliding upward so that it's jammed against the underside of my nose. I'm using a Wisp mask which everyone seems to swear by so I must have done something wrong with the straps, I can only assume...? Every way I've tried to rig it leads to it sliding up when I lie on my side and fidget. Everything I'm reading says that you don't want the straps too tight, but how tight is too tight? I'm not having any trouble with leaks, but when the mask rides up it covers up my nostrils which seems to rather defeat the whole CPAP purpose. I'm using a size large; the sizing chart suggested that I used the small/medium size but that one actually pinched my nose shut when it rode up -- maybe if I can get the darn thing to stay in place I can try that size again. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a similar problem when I started. I found that making the lower straps a bit tighter than the top helped keep it in place. I also found that as my face was getting more oily as the night went on the mask would ride up and leak. My solution for this was stridex wipes for my face and a mask wipe to wipe the cushion. I would fall back asleep no problem and the mask stayed. I did the same thing with using the large cushion instead of the s/m because of the occlusion when it rode up, but have since used the s/m without any trouble.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tigercait,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

when I first started using a WISP, i had this problem. and developed an abrasion sore at the bottom of the nose.

it has not been an issue for a while now. it seems if i push out the headgear near my temples a little (back), the cushion stays in place better.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2015, 05:39 PM)truetopath Wrote: I also found that as my face was getting more oily as the night went on the mask would ride up and leak. My solution for this was stridex wipes for my face and a mask wipe to wipe the cushion.

Thank you! I've tried this a couple of times, wiping my nose down in the middle of the night and resetting, and it helps a lot.
(03-24-2015, 10:17 PM)eplantz Wrote: it has not been an issue for a while now. it seems if i push out the headgear near my temples a little (back), the cushion stays in place better.

Push out? I've been fiddling with it and I'm not sure what you mean.
(03-24-2015, 07:29 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi tigercait,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

Big Grin Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2015, 05:26 PM)tigercait Wrote: Everything I'm reading says that you don't want the straps too tight, but how tight is too tight?
  • "Too loose" is when it leaks.

• "Just right" is when it stops leaking.

• "Too tight" is everything else. 8-)

Also check the alignment. The "nose part" on the mask should be parallel to the holes in your nose. If it's tilted or off center, it will leak.

Post Reply Post Reply

I'm glad the wipes are working for you!
Post Reply Post Reply
This must be a universal concern. I had the same problem when I started using the Wisp. Minor strap adjustment seems to have helped a lot. The remaining nagging concern is the cushion seems to unfurl and slightly irritate the lower right corner of my nose. The way I make final adjustments since I am a side sleeper is to push the mask into the pillow, moving it in the appropriate direction away from my nostrils, to the most comfortable position.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have also struggled with the Wisp and must be doing something wrong.

With both the med and large I have ended up with bruising on the bridge of my nose. I have just assumed my face isn't made for this mask. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but just wanted to say I saw all the positive reviews on the Wisp but have not been able to replicate the experience.
Post Reply Post Reply

I am new to the forum, and to CPAP therapy... (like 2 weeks now)

What I have discovered about myself is I don't think I could ever use a full face mask. I have a Wisp and then also the ResMed P10 nasal pillow.

Looks to me if you are not a mouth breather, you can use either the pillows or the nasal mask... whichever is more comfortable and causes less leaks for you.

I like the P10 because there is less bulk... lightweight, easier to get used to. However, if after a few nights use my nostrils get a little sore, I like to switch to the Wisp It is a good break, but then I always find myself wanting to go back to the P10 just because it is even less cumbersome. As far as I know there are better pillows than the P10... but it works for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Self test, newbie needs help please bexiesbruv 9 334 1 hour ago
Last Post: bexiesbruv
  WISP Mask Smell parkerdt 3 155 Yesterday, 06:52 PM
Last Post: parkerdt
  I "Fixed" Wisp Mask Velcro... player 10 433 02-13-2017, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Beej
  Newbie here - questions before getting machine stereoswimmer 14 658 02-07-2017, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  newbie brother 78 4 146 02-04-2017, 04:17 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  [Equipment] New Replacement Wisp Mask: New Is Amazing! player 0 161 02-02-2017, 12:09 AM
Last Post: player
  Wisp Mask: Plastic Or Fabric? player 14 424 01-29-2017, 12:02 AM
Last Post: Hypnic Jerk