Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie wondering why AHI fluctuates so much
Newbie wondering why AHI fluctuates so much
Hello everyone! Was recently diagnosed with moderate apnea and have been reading and trying to become familiar with everything associated with sleep apnea. This forum has been a tremendous help! I operate subway trains and therefore must be treated in order to continue working.

I received my Airsense 10 Autoset on Feb. 27 and have used it every night since. Feel fortunate that I haven't had too much of a problem getting used to sleeping with a nasal mask (airfit N10). The machine is set on APAP with min. set at 4 and max at 16. EPR is set full time at 3.

What I don't understand is why my AHI fluctuates as much as it does? Inside of a week it's been as low as 0.92 to as high as 6.75 last night. Is this normal as my body continues to get accustomed to the therapy? Thoughts? Advice?

Again a big shout out to everyone here helping and sharing their knowledge!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie wondering why AHI fluctuates so much
Welcome!

We all get some variation, but that is probably a bit on the high side.  I usually vary between 0.5 and 2.  Several things can affect this:
  • Position is probably the most likely.  Sleeping on your back can result in a higher AHI as your tongue tends to fall back a bit more.  Chin tucking results in narrowing your airway and more events.  Wearing a soft cervical collar is one way to prevent this.
  • Some medications can affect AHI
  • Drinking alcohol can cause a higher AHI
  • Being awake and wearing the mask can result in a higher AHI as awake breathing can mimic sleep disordered breathing
Take a look in SleepyHead at the nights it is higher.  What is going on?  More snoring?  Flow limitations?  Hypopneas?  etc.

And this may settle down as you grow more accustomed to the therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Chill! Thanks for your input! I've been trying to sleep on my sides instead of my back and not tucking my chin based on everything I've read here on the board. You said "Being awake and wearing the mask can result in a higher AHI as awake breathing can mimic sleep disordered breathing" is something that may be happening.

I'm usually in bed by 8:30 PM and up around 3-3:30 AM for work. Usually watch a little TV in bed and doze off. Also on my days off I do tend to wake up early but stay in bed trying to fall back to sleep. Should I not wear the mask and/or remove the mask and turn off my machine when this happens?
Post Reply Post Reply
BXbomber, I would guess that it is your minimum pressure rating that is the problem, especially with EPR at 3. Here is what happens. The minimum pressure of the machine is 4.0 cm, so you start out at 4/4 pressure (IPAP/EPAP). As pressure increases it becomes 5/4, 6/4, 7/4, 8/5, 9/6. I'm not going to get into why that is messed upt, but take my word for it.

Set your minimum pressure to the median or average pressure you have for the last 7 or 30 days...doesn't matter. If it is less than 8.0 cm, set EPR so that the minimum pressure will be 4.0. In other words, for a minimum pressure of 6, set EPR at 2. When you get a chance, post some data and I'm sure we can come up with something even more brilliant.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2017, 02:42 PM)Bxbomber Wrote: Should I not wear the mask and/or remove the mask and turn off my machine when this happens?

I wear my mask anytime that I might fall asleep / fall back asleep.  But I don't sweat it if that results in a higher AHI as I know the number is likely bogus.  Try to focus on how you feel and not on the AHI.  It is not some magic number, it is just a very, very crude yardstick.  If you almost stop breathing (hypopnea) once an hour for 10 seconds each time that gives you an AHI of 1.   If you completely stop breathing (apnea) once an hour for 120 seconds each time that gives you an AHI of... 1.  Clearly those will have very different outcomes for your body.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2017, 03:27 PM)chill Wrote: BxbomberShould I not wear the mask and/or remove the mask and turn off my machine when this happens?

I wear my mask anytime that I might fall asleep / fall back asleep.  But I don't sweat it if that results in a higher AHI as I know the number is likely bogus.  Try to focus on how you feel and not on the AHI.  It is not some magic number, it is just a very, very crude yardstick.  If you almost stop breathing (hypopnea) once an hour for 10 seconds each time that gives you an AHI of 1.   If you completely stop breathing (apnea) once an hour for 120 seconds each time that gives you an AHI of... 1.  Clearly those will have very different outcomes for your body.

Makes sense chill! I appreciate you taking the time to share your expertise with me!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2017, 03:14 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: BXbomber, I would guess that it is your minimum pressure rating that is the problem, especially with EPR at 3.  Here is what happens.  The minimum pressure of the machine is 4.0 cm, so you start out at 4/4 pressure (IPAP/EPAP).  As pressure increases it becomes 5/4, 6/4, 7/4, 8/5, 9/6.  I'm not going to get into why that is messed upt, but take my word for it.  

Set your minimum pressure to the median or average pressure you have for the last 7 or 30 days...doesn't matter.  If it is less than 8.0 cm, set EPR so that the minimum pressure will be 4.0.   In other words, for a minimum pressure of 6, set EPR at 2.  When you get a chance, post some data and I'm sure we can come up with something even more brilliant.

Hello Sleeprider! First let me say that as I've been reading and trying to educate myself about sleep apnea I've found you to be one of the most knowledgeable persons on the subject and truly appreciate all the assistance you provide for us all! I will do as you say and adjust my settings. I will post my sleepyhead data within the next day or two.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Bxbomber,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi trish6hundred! A pleasure to meet you! Thanks for the encouraging words!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome aboard the Apnea Board BX.. 

If you are having trouble staying on your side to sleep, and old trick was to sew a "pocket" on the back of a pajama top and put a golf ball or other similar sized object in there.. the idea is that when you roll on to your back it causes discomfort and makes you roll back on to your side.

Another trick was to sew a cotton reel on the back to have a similar effect.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 10 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] New to cpap! Just wondering if my data looks ok so far wwjkcd 1 165 03-08-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 476 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 263 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.