Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Diagnosed umm 2 hours ago... report included
Gross 
Diagnosed umm 2 hours ago... report included

Hi. I am very new to this forum and I am trying to wrap myself around my diagnosis, that I just got today. I have asked my non-compliant sleep apnea sister Thinking-about but she isn't to forth-coming with information so I thought there had to be a place somewhere for me, so after a search I found youThanks

I had my sleep study 2 weeks ago, and had my results today. I am a 40 year old, mom, wife, student, (DM, HTN, etc)

My report states the following if anyone can help with info, I would appreciate it.

1. Pt slept just over 6 hours. Sleep latency was low-normal at 12 minutes.

2. Sleep architecture was abnormal with a relative increase in SWS and a mild reduction in REM sleep.

3. Sleep Disordered breathing was evident with an RDI of 16.7 increasing to 44.2 per hour of REM sleep. A positional component was suggested by the RDI of 55.1 (supine sleep) and 15.5 (lateral sleep). The longest apnea measured 20.5 seconds.

4. Mean oxygen saturation was normal at 93%. 02 saturation was noted with each REM episode. Lowest SA was 79%

5. Periodic limb movements (PLM) were scored with PLM index of 1.8.

6. Overall micro-arousal index was 8.0.

7. Mean heart rate was 90. There were no obvious dysrhythmias. - I have tachycardia.

8. Snoring was noted intermittently during the study.

Impression:

1. Moderately severe OSA/H syndrome with prominent positional and REM-related components.
2. relative tachycardia

I am having another sleep study for CPAP placement and titration. I did not meet the criteria for CPAP intervention at the time of the study.

I am also curious (and will read more threads) on different machines, humidifiers, etc. I am trying to arm myself with knowledge....so I can get what I need/ want....

Thank you for reading this and sorry it is so long.....Too-funny

Camyssa - who cannot wait to sleep better--hoping some health improvements along
the way.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Diagnosed umm 2 hours ago... report included
Welcome to the forum. We are glad you joined us. Welcome

Take your time and look around the place. Lots of great info and people as well. Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Camyssa,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
There is lots of information and many helpful people on this forum.
Hang in there for answers to your questions and best of luck to you as you start your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Machine choices:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

What all (most) of those letters mean:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms

A glossary:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Glossary
and another:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/sl...e=Glossary
and yet another:
http://www.respironics.com/Glossary.asp
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome.
I am just 2 weeks in to my treatment, after starting the journey in April with the first test.
I also had a moderate result with an AHI of 27 so apparently I went to the bottom of the priority list and hence the months waiting for the second study with the CPAP machine and the prescription to buy the CPAP machine.
I ended up buying my machine direct from America without health insurance as the rebate offered was far less than my savings by buying direct (I have insurance but they will only pay out if I buy from an Australian company in Australia). wasted my time waiting for the prescription as I got an auto machine but at least it gave me a starting point to set a range. also the night at the lab on CPAP was fantastic - came home like a new man full of energy which helped reconcile myself to life on the hose. I did use the time to read lots of forums and come to the conclusion that adjusting these machines is easy and the hardest part is getting a good mask that works for you. I am still furious about being left untreated for those months after I had a diagnosis. If given the choice I would have paid extra to get it sorted sooner. So far the cpap is living up to my hopes - sleeping well, energy, my wife is sleeping as I am no longer disturbing her. Just a shame it doesn't give you back your fitness as easily but I am working on that now I can.

So - even if they reckon you do not qualify for the fast track - give them grief if they place you on an appointment months away - Now you have a diagnosis, you want your treatment to start asap! It has made a world of difference to me - And be fussy as hell about your mask. You will be wearing it a lot so it must fit and be comfortable. If you get a deal where they let you trial masks, do not settle for one that is just good enough!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome -

One of the most important things you can do is refuse the "basic" CPAP machine your provider wants to give you.
Get a machine that's "data capable" so you can follow the results of your therapy and get involved I in your health care.

My provider gave me a "non-data capable" machine and was back to them in a couple of days for a swap.

Be compliant!
Stick with it and you'll start feeling better. For some it's a couple of days. For most it's longer. It took me about 6 weeks to really feel the results and I still have a long way to go.

And has been mentioned - the mask is the most important thing. It's your sleeping partner for the rest of your life and you better love it.
I went through about 4 before I found one I liked.

Good luck!
Aloha,
MrCourtney
Honolulu, HI
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 22 382 4 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 59 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 386 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 290 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 179 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 254 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.