Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newby Papper
Newby Papper
I have been using my new Resmed S9 auto for a week now. Thanks to Super Sleeper, I now know just enough to be dangerous. My recommended titration pressure was 11.0 cm. of CPAP therapy. I have successfully made it to the clinician's menu, and after many changes, have my AHI down to 2.5-2.9. My sub conscience has been telling me though that something still is not quite right. I have been running the machine in auto mode, and it's coming back with pressure readings around 12.0. Last night I might have made a discovery though. I woke around 3:00 am, and saw my mask was off and my brain was mad. I reached over to the machine, and changed it to CPAP mode which I had preset for action. I reengaged operation, fell asleep, and finally went to CPAP heaven for the first time. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas about this experience that may make me less dangerous?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newby Papper
(10-21-2014, 04:25 PM)Flatheaddog Wrote: I have been using my new Resmed S9 auto for a week now. Thanks to Super Sleeper, I now know just enough to be dangerous. My recommended titration pressure was 11.0 cm. of CPAP therapy. I have successfully made it to the clinician's menu, and after many changes, have my AHI down to 2.5-2.9. My sub conscience has been telling me though that something still is not quite right. I have been running the machine in auto mode, and it's coming back with pressure readings around 12.0. Last night I might have made a discovery though. I woke around 3:00 am, and saw my mask was off and my brain was mad. I reached over to the machine, and changed it to CPAP mode which I had preset for action. I reengaged operation, fell asleep, and finally went to CPAP heaven for the first time. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas about this experience that may make me less dangerous?

Thanks

Hi Flatheaddog,
Welcome to the forum. There are lots of people here that are willing to share their experiences, and hopefully answer your questions.

What was the pressure range you were using while in Auto mode?

Some recommendations:

(1) Download and setup SleepyHead. Many users prefer it for looking at the graphs, and that will be crucial while you are trying to dial in your treatment. The testing version 0.9.8 seems to be quite good so far for me. There is a link at the top of all forum pages.

(2) Some folk do better with a fixed pressure, others adapt well to the Auto mode. I use Auto mode with a fairly wide range, but my pressures usually stay between 10 and 14. Your body's reaction to these modes can only be determined by experience.

(3) Make any changes to your treatment slowly. Change one thing at a time, and allow at least a week to evaluate each change. The temptation is to look at everything and react on a night-by-night basis, but treatment has too much variation - you must look for trends, not a single night's numbers.

(4) Initially, the things to watch are Leak, Pressure, and AHI. If there is too much time with "large" leaks (for ResMed S9's the limit is 24 l/min), then Apnea events may not be controlled, or even counted correctly. Obviously, the higher the pressure, the more difficult it is to control Leak.

(5) If your sleep study showed primarily Obstructive apneas, then you may find that your condition is position-sensitive. For many people with Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA), their apnea is worse while sleeping on their back. In my case, the Apnea index was nearly 20 times worse while on my back. I have found ways to avoid back-sleeping for the most part, and the pressures and AHI are much lower because of that.

Let us know as much as you can about what is happening for you, and we'll do our best to help.

Good luck on your journey.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Flatheaddog,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and best of luck to as you settle into your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2014, 04:25 PM)Flatheaddog Wrote: I have been using my new Resmed S9 auto for a week now. Thanks to Super Sleeper, I now know just enough to be dangerous. My recommended titration pressure was 11.0 cm. of CPAP therapy. I have successfully made it to the clinician's menu, and after many changes, have my AHI down to 2.5-2.9. My sub conscience has been telling me though that something still is not quite right. I have been running the machine in auto mode, and it's coming back with pressure readings around 12.0. Last night I might have made a discovery though. I woke around 3:00 am, and saw my mask was off and my brain was mad. I reached over to the machine, and changed it to CPAP mode which I had preset for action. I reengaged operation, fell asleep, and finally went to CPAP heaven for the first time. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas about this experience that may make me less dangerous?

Thanks

With a little time, you will find what works best for you.

And welcome to the board.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Thanks

Flatheaddog,

I have used an S8 VPAP Auto and now use an S9 VPAP Auto. I have used both of them in S mode (bilevel non-auto mode). I have tried both machines in auto mode and my AHIs were going continually upward in both cases. So auto mode did not work as well for me as single pressure, bilevel mode. That could be the case for you but it could also be that you just have not found the right range for your auto mode to work in. Some people can set it for a wide range and get good results but many people need to have a fairly narrow range to be successful with auto mode and finding the right range can take some work.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Checked the leak factor and saw a 35. Tightened the mask slightly, and got first full nights sleep in years. I'll try tightening the range up a little and may try auto again, but I think I'll wait till a week end to test that. This whole job thing seems to get in the way of proper testing. Thanks for the responses.

~Woof~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Newby trying to understand what i am seeing WoodyV12 18 994 02-24-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Macka
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,294 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz
  New PAPper, looking for some help interpreting graphs OGBF 3 472 09-17-2023, 04:56 PM
Last Post: OGBF
  Newby question Grouperman 4 697 12-07-2020, 10:38 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Hi all-newby here. which Oscar views to share? Remmy 3 691 11-09-2020, 12:53 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Newby trying to pick DME. Emil Faber 8 1,794 08-16-2018, 01:38 PM
Last Post: Emil Faber
  Relative Newby. Need Help w/ Sleepyhead Results Violetskyye 11 2,875 10-02-2016, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Violetskyye

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.