Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newby and thanks too all in advance for info you guys have given
Newby and thanks too all in advance for info you guys have given
Hi all,
New to CPAP and apnea and all that it entails. (2 weeks on the gear)

The info I have got from this board is amazing, so congrats to those that set it up and those that participate!

A couple of quick Questions if I may:

I have downloaded and installed sleepyhead; Could someone please tell me what the ideal minimum stats that I should be aiming for? Apologies if there is a idiots guide to SH i just cant find it!

Could you point me too a site/link/thread that demystifies CPAP for the lay person? Have friends and family members that need CPAP but have a "stigma"when it comes too discussing/using CPAP. Thought that as a CPAP user they might be more positive towards treatment if I could provide them with the info.
Thanks again
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newby and thanks too all in advance for info you guys have given
Hi Hueypilot
there is nothing mysterious about CPAP, just a simple blower keeping your airways open so you can breathe while sleeping

As for what to look for, AHI below 5 and stuff like that, but most important getting good night sleep and feeling better the next morning
For most people, "feeling better" can take some time and comes in stages, until one morning you wake up and get that good feeling

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Hueypilot, welcome to Apnea Board.

As Zonk said, the main target is a good night's sleep and wake up feeling refreshed. Clinically you need an AHI (apnea hypopnea index) less than 5 and no major leaks from your mask.

The second thread at the top of this main forum will tell you all you need to know about Sleepyhead. The first few pages are in the form of a tutorial, and the other 50 pages are discussion. There is also an apnea wiki - link at the top of this page - which will also have plenty of useful information.
Post Reply Post Reply
DB and Zonk,

Thanks for responses, forgot to mention I'm getting a great nights sleep and are feeling a lot better in the mornings. AHi is under 5, Just want to make sure I have my gear tuned the best it can be: will disgest SH info.

guess I got lucky with gear and mask!

Thanks againThanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Hueypilot,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Good-work

I have been on the hose since '12 and am retuning to make sure I am still optimal.
(things change over time!)

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
keep some stats along with the data SH provides.

helpful ones are - special feelings or issues, like how you felt, first dreaming, first sleep thru night, reduction in number of potty breaks, reduction or loss of acid indigestion, clear thinking, increased energy, gaining ability to concentrate.

when you get the SH data, get acquainted with how your pressure changes thru the night, the component parts of apnea and hypopnea index (AHI), learn the difference between clear airway (CA) apneas and obstructive apneas (OA), and what the machine does when it sees each.

welcome. we hope you enjoy and learn from this forum.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 337 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  [CPAP] Newby trying to understand what i am seeing WoodyV12 18 1,092 02-24-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Macka
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,355 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Resvent iBreeze APAP and BiPAP info TechieHippie 2 306 02-04-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Do Doctors Even Have Access to Flow Limits Info? paulag1955 16 726 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  DreamStation Go Recall [consolidated replacement & compensation info & questions] PHXSleeper 127 20,166 12-17-2023, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
Question Please Review My Data (Oximeter Info Included) — Still Tired Despite "Good" Treatment avhenry 16 2,042 12-04-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.