Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newby with strange problem
Newby with strange problem
Folks,

I'm after a bit of advice please,

Home based sleep study showed mild OSA, 14 events per hour (Epworth score was 17 as I recall)
Rented a machine for 4 weeks, (Resmed S9 and H5I humidifier) AHI reduced to <5 after 3 weeks, I felt great.
Bought a machine, the clinician set it up the same as the rental, but now can't get AHI below around 7. Nasal mask.
Had that machine now for 6 weeks.
Clinician says he is not worried and says settings are OK, however I am now feeling worse than with the rental. Constantly tired. Leak is less than 12 ltrs / min, pressure is 6-20, max pressure around 9, APAP mode.

I have the rescan s/w although not sure how to post the graphs from it to the board.

Steve

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newby with strange problem
Hi Steve, welcome to the forum - If the clinician is not a doc than may suggest to find a sleep medicine doc. Your leak at 12 L/min is quite good but do you find yourself adjusting the mask during the night and not sleeping right through or mouth breathing?
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome, Steve.

We need to know the model of your machine. ResMed S9 isn't enough info. It should say Escape, Elite, Escape Auto, or AutoSet next to the power button. Please put that in your profile.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would narrow my auto range and make the bottom number- the epap - your original CPAP prescription, and the higher about 4 above the lower number. Good luck. Sometimes we have an initial period where everything is fine, then the sleep debt comes due and we feel worse.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2012, 04:57 AM)SteveC Wrote: Rented a machine for 4 weeks, (Resmed S9 and H5I humidifier) AHI reduced to <5 after 3 weeks, I felt great.

Find out what the pressure was set at on that machine, and set this machine to that same pressure.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some machines give different readings to other older models but it wont explain why you feel worse, see your doc as soon as you can and explain it to him.

DC
Post Reply Post Reply
To post the graph as an attachment: (best option)
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ttachments

To post it as an image:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...13#pid3213

My suggestion is the same as zimlich's. Narrow down that huge gap in the pressure. Set the bottom number as what your pressure should be and the top number 4-5 points higher.

What was the first machine? Was it also an autoPAP?

Make sure you have the Autoset, not the Escape Auto. If you have that one, take it back.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SteveC, Unfortunately, I can't help you with your question but I would like to take this opportunity to say Welcome! to the forum. The best of luck to you on solving this problem.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The detective in me tell that Steve using S9 Autoset bc he uses an auto machine that report leak. (whats the breakdown of AHI?)
Narrowing the range is desirable but really should make no difference bc the leak is decent and pressure is not running away. The max pressure is 9 and the auto range is 6-20
Ohwell need some more lots-o-coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2012, 06:22 AM)zonk Wrote: Hi Steve, welcome to the forum - If the clinician is not a doc than may suggest to find a sleep medicine doc. Your leak at 12 L/min is quite good but do you find yourself adjusting the mask during the night and not sleeping right through or mouth breathing?

Leak last night went down to 8, I don't think I'm mouth breathing and I do not adjust during the night. I do wake up sometimes, that is normaly due to needing to go to the bathroom or the wife rolling on to me!

I did switch to a smaller nasal mask last night, I'm trying two sizes, medium and large. The smaller one tends to cause itchiness but has worekd well before.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,889 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,482 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,792 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [CPAP] Newby trying to understand what i am seeing WoodyV12 18 1,062 02-24-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Macka
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 371 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New VAUTO, strange settings pulmonologist edgnoj 25 1,304 02-22-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: edgnoj
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,346 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.