Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newer User Need Advice
Newer User Need Advice
I have a respironics S9 cpap machine and and really struggle for the most part. I have had it for about 3 years but have not had great success using it for the most part. I am hoping to get some advice on how to get in a better place with this process.

I have a nasal mask that basically just surrounds my nose l, stopping at my upper lip and lower forehead. Some of my biggest struggles are:

- Having to sleep on my back because of air leaks. If I even turn my head a bit, it leaks.
- Using with nose congestion.
- Going to sleep while very uncomfortable, see item 1 lol
- Wake up with some face with red marks from mask.

I have adjusted the mask as much as I can see possible. No matter what, I have to lay on my back and look straight forward. It makes it very hard for me to sleep at all.

So I may have other issues like pressure, but I think the mask and such are my main issue to deal with.

Any suggestions or experience on how to get in a better way with all this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newer User Need Advice
You are right that there may also be pressure issues, but for sure you are not comfortable and I don't know of anyone that can sleep well when they are uncomfortable.

You have insurance you are getting supplies with? Are you getting replacement supplies? Thinking you should try an different face mask.

I change sides a lot and the mask stays in place 99% of the time.

You have a hose hanger or other hose management system so it keeps the how out of you way and untangled?

Red marks on the face, yes there are strap covers that stop that. I have used socks or wash clothes tucked between my face and the straps. Works just fine.

I use those springy nose strips those help with congestion and Flonase. I also found out that I do not like warm air so I put only a little water in the humidifier chamber and fill it full of ice.

you should get the manual (link at the top of the page) so you can see what pressure your machine is set at.

Also read up on sleepyhead free software then you can look at what is going on during the time you are asleep.

Unfortunately you are pretty typical but there is lots of help here and most end up doing fine (as long as they hang in there)

Post Reply Post Reply
A different mask seems like a good thing to try. I use both a F&P Eson and Simplus (nasal and full face) and sleep on my side exclusively. Keep in mind that you can't put your head in the middle of your pillow and mash your face into it and expect no leaks. I sleep with my head on the end of pillow with the mask hanging over end (not resting on the pillow).
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi djtech2k,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Do you mean a Resmed S9, which machine do you have?
The mask is the hardest part of this therapy and, some have to try many masks 'till they find the right one for them, so keep trying different ones 'till you find what works for you.
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy and better luck to you this time with it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
dmteck2k,
Please update your profile with correct Cpap name. There is no Respironics S9 machine, but there is a ResMed S9.

It would also be helpful if your tell us whether the machine is an Auto Cpap and what the pressure is set on.

You may want to download the SleepyHead software.
http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can probably exchange your mask for a different one. Request the Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows. It is a very quiet, easy to fit mask. The mask should come with 3 sizes of pillows S, M, L. Many suppliers remove the extra pillows and charge for them. Chances are you will end up with a size larger than you think. The pillows rest on the bottom of the nose, not inserted into the nostrils. Since you can use nasal therapy, you might as well get on the bandwagon with the rest of us now...resistance is futile.

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2016, 04:23 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: You can probably exchange your mask for a different one. Request the Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows. It is a very quiet, easy to fit mask. The mask should come with 3 sizes of pillows S, M, L. Many suppliers remove the extra pillows and charge for them. Chances are you will end up with a size larger than you think. The pillows rest on the bottom of the nose, not inserted into the nostrils. Since you can use nasal therapy, you might as well get on the bandwagon with the rest of us now...resistance is futile.

Actually, you can wear the nasal pillows either way, depending on your comfort AND on weather a smaller size lets enough oxygen go through. Many people clearly DO wear them inserted, rather than just resting on the bottom of the nose.

Having said that, I just moved up a size, to try the "resting on nose, rather than inserted". I switched from my previous "medium" to try the "large" for a bit. I love the extra amount of air I get through the larger pillows! It's also enough to clear up any nasal congestion, which other people have mentioned, but which I wasn't seeing with the smaller sized pillows. But, I rarely move around at night; if you do, you may get more leaks this way.

SO: your choice how you wear them. But if you feel "suffocated", do try a larger size. They initially fitted me with "small" and after 2 hours or so, I switched up to the medium, just to get enough air in.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 164 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 250 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 853 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,778 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 77 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 786 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.