Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newish to AirCurve10 ASV, still struggling.
Newish to AirCurve10 ASV, still struggling.
Sorry if this is a sloppy first post, I have a migraine and have been searching the web and just bit the bullet on registering to see if any of you kind people can help. Sorry if this is a little lengthy 

The background is I have TMJ (Marfan offshoot connective tissue problem) which causes a grocery list of problems.  Sleep Apnea being one, enlarged aorta very bad migraines and so on,anywho, I have tried numerous sizes of ResMed F20 and F30 masks. The medium F30 seems to work, but somehow when my machine hits pressure or I roll over it starts howling an hour into a night of sleep.   I have a long narrow face and mask fitment has been an issue, I have another appointment on the 10/18 and hopefully I get more answers there. 

The issue where you guys can possibly help is I cleaned and dried the ASV and stored it on my nightstand with the an empty humidifier tank attached for about a month (just wanted to sleep and stop waking up from my machine, BAD IDEA). I recleaned everything before use again but it has sat for a month this way. I’m pretty OCD in general but was this a bad move on my part? I’m concerned that possibly in the machine itself may have stuff in it due to me sealing it with the humidifier vs leaving it open to “air out”.  I put on a new hose and filter and REALLY cleaned the humidifier chamber but just wanted to make sure I’m not doing anything wrong.  I don’t know if it’s seasonal allergies but I feel slightly stuffed up after using my machine. I overly cleaned the elbow piece with all the tiny perforations to because that seems to be the only place I can see stuff maybe being trapped. It’s only had maybe 10 hours of use over two weeks of trial so I don’t think that much could have been in there but I’d rather be safe than sorry. 

Long story short I am tempted to get an ozone cleaner as that could get inside my actual machine as well, not just the external detachable components. Sorry for the run on, but any help would be very and greatly much appreciated. Thank you kindly. 

Jimmy
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newish to AirCurve10 ASV, still struggling.
Jimmy, using any ozone cleaner will void your machine's guarantee. Don't do it.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed. I can't advise use of an ozone cleaner. And it will void the warranty. It sounds like you've cleaned it as much as would be necessary. I don't have the health issues you do, mine are high CA and COPD/Asthma, but having used the same model ASV, I'm sure you cleaned all you can.

I'll pull out my broken record for masks in a second. Can you use pillows or nasal masks? Maybe consider them if they'll work. They're a lot less susceptible to leaks by bumping. There's less that needs to seal to make it work well.

OK broken record, if you need full face then look at the Fisher and Paykel Vitera. It works very well with minimal strap tension. Yep it moves about some but not much. The RollFit bellows design gives flexibility.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good to know about voiding the warranty, won’t touch it then! I also was slightly worried about what it could do to some components and don’t want to get sick one day from it degrading something. 

As far as masks go I just have a long narrow face and with my type of apnea need a full face evidently. I will bring up those options to my pulmonologist. My actual pulmonologist is going to help with the mask fit stuff, I’ve gone thru 4 different ones from the medical supply provider and have not been having too much luck.  Fortunately just a couple weeks away, I was just concerned about cleaning the actual inside of the machine. 

Thank you for the speedy responses! Greatly appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you try the AirTouch foam on the F20? I found those appear more narrow and pointed than the AirFit silicone cushion of the same size.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did yet unfortunately still too wide and would leak blowing air by my eyes. Tried the medium and the large on those. I have a fairly long face. The f20 was my favorite but to make it work the straps had to be insanely tight and would push on the back of my head. The masks you suggested look very appealing though given the head straps won’t create such a pressure point. The F20 has not been much more successful than the f30.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your stuffiness may be related to CPAP rhinitis. Try adjusting your humidity and hose temp settings to see if that causes any improvement. Everyone is different so you need to find the settings that suit you. If the air seems dry try higher humidity, if you feel it is too humid try lower.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK copy on the F20. How about the hybrid ResMed F30i, had you looked at it? Full face lower and nasal cradle upper.

BTW any mask will work with ASV if you get the right fit and adjustments.
Post Reply Post Reply
That looks like it could be a possibility, I’ll bring it up with my doctor. The strap looks better and I’d probably have less of a chance knocking it loose with the hose being up higher. Im also going to ask about doing a nasal mask as well. I really appreciate the help.

Do people ever worry about cleaning the inside of the machines or getting build up in there? I don’t know if I’m being paranoid but I do worry about contamination on the inside. If people buy a used machine I imagine they can sterilize the inside somehow without using ozone.

Thank you again for your input. I really appreciate it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I myself have used a room air filter in the bedroom in the past. I make certain the PAP filter is changed at least monthly. From there, I'm not concerned about the PAP internals.

Fisher and Paykel have other masks that may be worth looking at. They have some interesting looking nasal and pillows masks, maybe one is good for you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 54 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  Struggling with pressure etc ubuntootoo 9 269 03-22-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross [Diagnosis] Moved from APAP to BPAP and struggling Spicykielbasa 1 221 03-10-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Spicykielbasa
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 194 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  [Treatment] Struggling to reduce Clear Airway events codebread 6 897 02-23-2024, 09:15 PM
Smile [CPAP] Hello, newish user trying to get settings dialed in. RustyOs 0 243 02-11-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: RustyOs
  BiPap Newbie - struggling McMartin 6 367 02-01-2024, 10:37 AM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.