Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newly Diagnosed [DME code questions]
Newly Diagnosed [DME code questions]
Hey guys/gals, I was just diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and have spent the last few days reading here. WOW! I'm amazed at the wealth of information you have amassed here. It will prove invaluable to me as I try to adjust to life with a CPAP machine.

I picked up my new machine today, an Airsense 10 Autoset, and will try it out for the first time tonight. I do have a question though. I purchased the machine through my insurance company at a DME. I was just going over my paperwork and noticed that in addition to the charge for the Airsense 10 Autoset machine code E0601, there is an additional charge for a SO-Heated Humidifier code E0562. I'm confused because the humidifier is integrated into the Airsense 10 Autoset. Is it typical to be charged for both when they're integrated?

Also what is an AP Filter? I noticed a setting for it on the machine and haven't found any documentation as to what it is.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newly Diagnosed
It's a hypoallergenic filter you can purchase to use instead of the standard filter.

Yeah it's normal for DME's to add on the charge for the humidifier and also the hose.

Welcome to the Board!
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
>>>Also what is an AP Filter?<<<

I think you mean the AB Filter, under Accessories in the Clinical Menu. That's an Anti-Bacterial Filter, which you may see on some DME web sites. It is absolutely NOT recommended if you are using your humidifier, because the dampness clogs the filter. If you do use one, it affects the pressure drop downstream of the sensors, so the machine has to be told to compensate for it.

The hypo-allergenic filter is a different intake filter, and has no effect on CPAP operation because it is upstream of all the sensors.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome. We're here to help you and give you confidence when your finally realize you have a great auto CPAP and should take advantage of its capabilities. You won't get that at a fixed pressure of 8 cm, but when you're ready, so are we.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Koolbreeze,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, great, Thanks for the info, all. I'm sure it was AB instead of AP, as the clinical menu is where I saw that setting.

Thanks to the info on this board, I insisted on the Airsense 10 Autoset instead of the non-auto versions. The DME was pretty stunned when I explained that I wanted it because I was going to be married to the machine for the next 5 years and may need the auto features at some point and that I wanted to be able to monitor my treatment with the advanced data available on that model. Again, huge thanks to this board for that education.

I'm going to try the machine as is for a while, return for my titration and see how it goes but I'm sure I'll want experiment with the auto features at some point. Got lots of reading to do.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newly Diagnosed [DME code questions]
So I've been using the CPAP machine for about a week now and it's going ok. My AHI numbers are very good but I've got a few issues I wanted to get some input on. I can't post chart images until I have 4 posts, apparently.

First question is, is there anyway to tell what the issue is with the large leaks and what is an acceptable large leak percentage? What you see above is about average over the last week from a leak standpoint. They've averaged about 12% (highest 17%, lowest 9%) since I started CPAP. A couple of times a few days ago I awoke in the night with a dry mouth, but I haven't in the last few days. That lead me to believe I was mouth breathing but I'm more inclined to think it's more of an issue with my mouth opening when I'm relaxing than it is breathing through it, because I've awaken a few times leaking from my mouth. It could also be that my mask (Pico nasal) is leaking from movement during the night. Maybe a bit of both.

I've tried an elastic ace bandage for the last few nights, but that hasn't helped much if any at all. I also picked up a cervical collar yesterday at Walgreens but haven't tried it because it's not very comfortable when lying down. I stopped today at my DME and they sold me a neoprene chin strap, so I may try that tonight if I can manage to sleep with it on. It's less comfortable than the ace bandage. They said I would have to talk to Dr to get him to change the Rx if I wanted to try a full face mask, as he apparently wrote the Rx for a nasal mask only. Anyway, just looking for some tips from those of you with experience in dealing with leaks and how to ID the source the leak.

Next question is I mentioned to the DME that my machine (or mask, I'm not sure which) is making a noticeable noise at inhale. It's very distracting when I'm trying to go to sleep, since I'm use to dead silence. It's an air rushing sound similar to what you may get if you inhale sharply, like a high volume of air rushing through a narrow passage. It sounds more like the mask to me, but it's hard to isolate. The DME thought tweaking the EPR setting to where it's only enabled during the RAMP time might fix it, so I guess I see tonight. So far I've dealt with it by playing white noise but I'd rather eliminate the noise if possible. I've also been taking Ambien which really helps get me to sleep, but I can't do that for long. Are some masks more noisy than others and if so which ones are the quietest?
Post Reply Post Reply
Answer this a couple times and you are in like FLYNN Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2017, 08:24 PM)Koolbreeze Wrote: Hey guys/gals, I was just diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and have spent the last few days reading here. WOW! I'm amazed at the wealth of information you have amassed here. It will prove invaluable to me as I try to adjust to life with a CPAP machine.

I picked up my new machine today, an Airsense 10 Autoset, and will try it out for the first time tonight. I do have a question though. I purchased the machine through my insurance company at a DME. I was just going over my paperwork and noticed that in addition to the charge for the Airsense 10 Autoset machine code E0601, there is an additional charge for a SO-Heated Humidifier code E0562. I'm confused because the humidifier is integrated into the Airsense 10 Autoset. Is it typical to be charged for both when they're integrated?

Also what is an AP Filter? I noticed a setting for it on the machine and haven't found any documentation as to what it is.

Thanks

Welcome and welcome to the amazingly confusing world of dealing with the DME.

As others no doubt stated, it is standard practice to charge separately for CPAP machine and the humidifier. They did it even on my ASV, so it's not just the lower level CPAP devices FYI. As mentioned the filter is A B like Alpha Bravo, an Anti-Bacterial filter.

FWIW I'm waiting on a DME billing officer to become a car salesman. Imagine how much cars would cost then. Base car cost 15K, doors 2K each, engine 5k, transmission 5k, gauges 1.5k, etc.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2017, 04:57 PM)Koolbreeze Wrote: Next question is I mentioned to the DME that my machine (or mask, I'm not sure which) is making a noticeable noise at inhale. It's very distracting when I'm trying to go to sleep, since I'm use to dead silence. It's an air rushing sound similar to what you may get if you inhale sharply, like a high volume of air rushing through a narrow passage. It sounds more like the mask to me, but it's hard to isolate. The DME thought tweaking the EPR setting to where it's only enabled during the RAMP time might fix it, so I guess I see tonight. So far I've dealt with it by playing white noise but I'd rather eliminate the noise if possible. I've also been taking Ambien which really helps get me to sleep, but I can't do that for long. Are some masks more noisy than others and if so which ones are the quietest?
 This may be the same issue I was trying to describe in my "stupid noob question". I've been working at tracking it down. Last night, it appeared to come at the joint where the heated hose and the plasticky hose that comes with the mask meet.

The P10 is a very quiet mask.

You will get a feel for what a mask leak is, so you can address it easily. With the mask on, gently work a finger around the edge of the mask nearest your face. You will notice a hiss if your finger is near a leak.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 22 368 21 minutes ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 155 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 58 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 386 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.