Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newly diagnosed
Newly diagnosed
Hello. I was recently diagnosed with mild sleep apnea.

I was wondering which masks other side sleepers like.

I was sent home initially with the Resmed full mask without the forehead t bar, and I kept waking up with leaks.

Last week thy switched me to a Resmed Swift FX nasal pillow mask and. Chn strap.
I've been using lanolin with the pillows.

Overall I feel more tired than before. How many more days should I give the pillow mask?

I'm considering not even using the machine tonight because it sems like I sleep better without it!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newly diagnosed
welcome to the forum - mask is something you've try for yourself and see what works best for you
which S9 your machine? if its not Escape or Escape Auto ... should display efficacy data on the screen ... AHI and leak and does have the mask fit feature . I,m side sleeper and use Activa LT nasal mask but everyone is different ... might be useless for you

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2012, 08:05 PM)Utsarah Wrote: Hello. I was recently diagnosed with mild sleep apnea.
I was sent home initially with the Resmed full mask without the forehead t bar, and I kept waking up with leaks.
Last week thy switched me to a Resmed Swift FX nasal pillow mask and. Chn strap.
Overall I feel more tired than before. How many more days should I give the pillow mask?
I'm considering not even using the machine tonight because it sems like I sleep better without it!

My most important point is that you should continue to use the machine, even if your mask is leaking and compromising the therapy. Some therapy is better than no therapy. But having said that, if your mask is so uncomfortable that is making you hate the therapy, then go ahead and take a break from it.

Regarding masks, are you a mouth breather? Generally full face masks are given only to mouth breathers because they are the most uncomfortable and most prone to leaks. So if your provider supplied you initially with a full face mask I can only assume that the results of the sleep study indicated that you are a mouth breather. if this is not correct, then you'd probably find a nasal or nasal pillow mask more comfortable.

Having said that, nasal pillow masks are more comfortable for most people than nasal masks, but leak more than nasal masks if you are a side sleeper. Nasal pillow masks also can't handle as much pressure without leaks as a nasal mask. I might suggest a nasal mask over a nasal pillow mask, with one exception: The Fisher & Paykel Pilairo. The Pilairo is different from other nasal pillow masks in that it can handle higher pressures and works well for side sleepers.

Whatever you try next, bear in mind that the mask is the hardest part of this entire therapy to get right. I went through eight masks before I got one that works well for me, and I am not unusual. Don't worry if you have to try several masks.

To get an idea of the variety of masks currently available, go to the supplier list (at the top of any Apnea Board page) and look at the masks offered by the suppliers. And if any of them look interesting, feel free to ask back here about them, because chances are someone here is using the mask you are interested in or the mask has already been discussed here.

Good luck and Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Utsarah and WELCOME! to the forum.!
I encourage you to stick with CPAP therapy, the mask is the most trying part of it. You might have to try several different masks 'till you get the right one for you. The full-face masks are very proned to leaks. I know you have tried one type of pillows mask, (of which there are many different,) but you might consider trying a nasal mask, such as the "Mirage Activa," or something like it.
I have used the "Swift LT for her," and the "Mirage Activa," and like both of them for different reasons but right now, I'm using the "Activa."
Everybody is different so what might work for me, might NOT work for you. I wish you luck with this and don't give up.
Hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
In addition to all the wonderful advice above, I suggest Google 'sleep debt'. While we can't truly catch up on lost sleep, we can work on reversing or changing the damage done to our bodies. Our body and brain is so freakin' happy to be sleeping, it doesn't want to wake up!

In other words, feeling more tired when first starting therapy is rather common.

Some masks, you know as soon as you put it on that it isn't going to work. Others, it can be several nights. If the pillows aren't working, try another. It is not uncommon to go through six or more masks before finding the right one.

I use a feather pillow. I lay with my head supported but the mask basically hanging off the side. Not so much with my current mask, though. There's some "CPAP pillows" out there but I only know of a few people who liked them.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use a Swift FX which I really like, but I have tried many others. The one that I would think was the best for side sleeping is the one that JJJ suggested, and that is the F & P Pilario. I used this mask for a while and found it to be great. My Swift FX would always move out of position when I roll over to my side, but the Pilario never budged, and maintained an excellent seal at all times. I only stopped using it because my nose is too big for the mask, and it pushed too hard on the end of my nose. Smaller nosed individuals should not have a problem.

Good luck, and above all keep trying.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone!

I slept well last night. The only problem I had is that my chin strap came off!

I ordered the Bella loops for my mask.

My machine is the S9 Escape.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2012, 08:05 PM)Utsarah Wrote: Hello. I was recently diagnosed with mild sleep apnea.

First of all, welcome to a great support group Utsarah!

I'm on my 38th day of treatment and use a S9 with nasal pillows. It has only been the last 7 days that I have been finding fairly decent relief. Being a side sleeper I found myself initially spending most of my time on my back (tried to better control leaks/adjust to the machine/etc.) Over time I have started to become more comfortable with the setup and find that I am relaxing more when I use it and not stressing about possibly breaking it or causing leaks by moving around.

You also might want to try the different sizes of nasal pillows. I found I was using ones that were too small. The head strap was also too tight so I adjusted it as well. The pillows actually will create their own seal once you've had it on for a bit. I had it way to tight "thinking" it would stop leaks. I was wrong, it not only did not stop the leaks, it caused a lot of pain a couple hours in... So keep working at the adjustments and try out the various pillows to find what works best for you.

Don't give up! I too felt like giving up on the machine even into the third week, but I kept using it nightly, forcing myself to put and keep it on each night. Today, I am glad I did as the longer I use it, the better I am starting to feel. Yes, I still have issues and bad nights, but it is much better than before.

Good luck and don't give up!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2012, 08:16 AM)Utsarah Wrote: My machine is the S9 Escape.
the escape is a basic machine .... no efficacy data (AHI, leak) .. just hours used for insurance compliance
as you just got the machine recently .... strike while the iron still hot
talk to your provider or/and doctor to replace the machine with either S9 Elite or S9 Auroset (Not Escape Auto)
really there is not much the doctor can check on the followup to see how the therapy is working

Post Reply Post Reply
Zonk: I don't see my dr again until mid Dec. I wonder if I should call about the machine sooner. I wonder if they are jousting renting me this machine to see if I'll use it before insurance will buy a machine?

I could really feel a difference today as far as my energy level. No yawning throughout the day. I usually get extremely tired midday and will nap if I can. Today I laid down and finished the book I had been reading and didn't even feel like I needed to nap! I hope this will continue!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 15 265 6 hours ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 272 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 467 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,776 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First-time CPAP Machine Advice (Newly Diagnosed OSA) Franko39 2 392 11-15-2023, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Newly diagnosed. prettybadapnea 2 359 11-07-2023, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  p123 - Therapy Thread - Just diagnosed p123 58 2,609 11-07-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.