Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newly diagnosed
RE: Newly diagnosed
Welcome to the Forum!!! Welcome

We are glad you joined us. Wink

As to your question about masks or mask types for side sleepers, I can't help you. Work with your DME to determine which style mask will work out best for you. Thinking-about
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, call the doctor's office. Tell them you want a data capable machine. Even if they don't "like" autoPAP, you can get the Elite.

If your insurance paid for it, they pay the same price regardless of the machine. The Escape is cheaper than the Autoset so the DME makes more money by giving you the Escape. If the machine is not paid for yet or is in "rental" stage, insist on either the Elite or the Autoset. NOT the Escape Auto. And not a Respironics with Plus in the name.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Paula,
Good to know!! I'm so glad I found this forum. I wouldn't have known any better about the machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
I am glad that they broke the news to you gently. Fact is that there is no "MILD" sleep apnea. You either have it or you don't as your body really doesn't care how many times a night your air flow is going to be blocked.... it is going to increase your heart rate, arouse you via autonomic nervous system, and most urgently of all? It is going to spike you blood pressure to where it does not want to go. THAT's the biggest cause of concern asides from feeling tired. The high BP and low SpO2 (blood oxygen) can cause strokes. Now is a good time to get a handle on your sleep apnea and you will live longer and better... do not put it off as it is linked to everything under the sun including diabetes, myocardial infarction (heart attack), strokes and deep vein thrombosis, AND HEART ARRHYTHMIAS ( of which there are many kinds.... my gift was Atrial Fibrillation and trust me when I say you do NOT want any of them). The good news is that compared to all of the other afflictions it will try to bring along it is a breeze to resolve if you are determined to live a long and happy life.

You will need to be proactive with your sleep apnea - research and learn everything you can. It has been gone over a million times on this board and on other sleep apnea boards as well. EDUCATE yourself, ADVOCATE for yourself and CONTEMPLATE your actions. You can and will beat this monkey on your back and ultimately will be in charge of the affliction.

The only advice I can offer asides from this is to make sure you get a data recording APAP machine; a Contec CMS50EW pulse oximeter to see what your SpO2 actually is during he night; and a comfy mask that you can live with and which does not sprout leaks all night.

Good luck. Good health.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.

Post Reply Post Reply
I left a message with my DME provider. The respiratory therapist is supposed to call me back about the machine. I just wonder if they will listen. If not, certainly I can around to some other providers.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2012, 02:05 PM)TorontoCPAPguy Wrote: Fact is that there is no "MILD" sleep apnea. You either have it or you don't as your body really doesn't care how many times a night your air flow is going to be blocked.... it is going to increase your heart rate, arouse you via autonomic nervous system, and most urgently of all?

Mild sleep apnea is 5-15 events per hour.

Anything less than that and you are not considered to have an elevated risk of complications.

There are people with moderate and severe apnea and they are at a far greater risk of complications.

The worse you have it, the more important it is that you get treatment.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So the respiratory therapist said I need to call the dr to get a new machine.

The dr's office is going to call me back, but the lady acted like she had no idea what I was talking about.

I found paperwork from another patient who used my machine in the carrier for the machine the DME provide gave me. They said it is a purchase, so I wonder if they billed as a new machine!? Plus when I looked at he data on the memory card there is data from before I owned the machine!!??
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi.. i'm a newbie here too, recently diagnosed, with OSA which has caused me all sorts of problems, moreso because I'm an airline pilot.

Anyway, I bout a Rescan S9 autoset last August, seems to be doing me some good.. almost all my days have been less than 5 AHI's, but the leaks have been high, something my ENT also pointed out. I'm using an F&P Pillairo. Usually I'm a side sleeper, and i noticed that when it is leaking I'm on my back with my mouth wide open, something which gets me prodded by the wife when it disturbs her sleep too.

I was thinking what is the best way to prevent this, and came up with the idea of putting a pillow or bolster behind me when I sleep.... Have now tried this for 2 nights, and seems the leaks have drastically reduced, and yesterday was the 1st night in 3 months that I've seen an AHI of 1.0.

Maybe there is a thread somewhere else about this that I haven't got to yet, so i just thought this might be a good place to write this.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2012, 12:29 PM)rayks Wrote: Usually I'm a side sleeper, and i noticed that when it is leaking I'm on my back with my mouth wide open, something which gets me prodded by the wife when it disturbs her sleep too.

You need a chinstrap! Also known as a chin restraint.

I wear the blue ResMed chinstrap and it works great.

The thing is that when you're mouth-leaking like that you lose the pressure you need to keep your airway from collapsing. It also prevents the machine from getting an accurate measurement of your AHI because it can't tell that your airway has collapsed. This is especially important with an autoset machine because it uses those measurements to adjust the pressure.

Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
My doctor's office called me back. She actually spoke to the marketing director for my DME provider and they are going to call me back about upgrading the machine. It sounds like it should not be a problem.

Chin strap: mine keeps coming off! I wake up with it hanging around my neck!

On a positive note I'm loving my nasal pillows!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 15 255 14 minutes ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 269 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 467 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,775 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First-time CPAP Machine Advice (Newly Diagnosed OSA) Franko39 2 392 11-15-2023, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Newly diagnosed. prettybadapnea 2 359 11-07-2023, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  p123 - Therapy Thread - Just diagnosed p123 58 2,609 11-07-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.