Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newly diagnosed
Newly diagnosed
Just came across this place and thought I'd join up.

I was just recently diagnosed with Severe OSA.  I had 79 events and an O2 level of 50%.  I'm scheduled to have a Titration test next week.  I've been trying to educate myself as much as possible before I get my machine...hope to learn some on here as well.

I'm pretty sure i've been suffering from SA for years, I finally got tired of being tired all the damn time. I've got a loaner machine that I just received today as a matter of fact and i'm so looking forward to trying it out.  It's the Resmed AirSense 10 autoset..and im gonna try out a DreamWeaver FFM tonight.  Wish me luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newly diagnosed
(04-12-2018, 02:13 PM)Vitamin J Wrote: Just came across this place and thought I'd join up.

I was just recently diagnosed with Severe OSA.  I had 79 events and an O2 level of 50%.  I'm scheduled to have a Titration test next week.  I've been trying to educate myself as much as possible before I get my machine...hope to learn some on here as well.

I'm pretty sure i've been suffering from SA for years, I finally got tired of being tired all the damn time. I've got a loaner machine that I just received today as a matter of fact and i'm so looking forward to trying it out.  It's the Resmed AirSense 10 autoset..and im gonna try out a DreamWeaver FFM tonight.  Wish me luck.

Welcome to the club that nobody really wants to belong to! My wife was diagnosed with an AHI of I recall about 77 (events per hour). She routinely gets less than 1.0 events now with her ResMed S9 CPAP. It is the predecessor to your loaner AirSense 10 AutoSet. On the other hand I was diagnosed with an AHI of 37, and have the same machine as you. My condition is more complex than my wife's, despite the lower AHI. I have more central apneas, and she has virtually none. My suggestions to consider are as follows:

1. Do you know what your event count was broken down by central apneas compared to obstructive apneas? That will give you a hint as to what issues you may have with CPAP.

2. Has the machine been setup for you? Often the minimum pressure and start pressure are set too low, and the first time user gets a feeling of not getting enough air. That can cause an uncomfortable first night. Here are my suggestions for a starting setup, if it is all at default. To get into the Clinical Setup menu just push the home button on the bottom, and the round knob button at the same time for more than 3 seconds. You should be into the setup. Leave everthing at default except for the following:

Confirm it is in AutoSet mode
Set the minimum pressure at 7 cm
Leave the maximum pressure at the default 20 cm
Confirm the mask type is set correct. In your case full face
Set Ramp Time to Auto
Set Ramp Start to 6 cm of pressure
Confirm EPR is set to Full Time
Set EPR at 3 cm
Make sure the date and time set correct

If you have the heated climate hose set Climate Control to Auto
If you don't then leave the settings at the default values

Exit from the Clinical Menu

3. Mask Issues 

A full face mask can be hard to get used to. Do your best to set it up. But since you are in a trial period take advantage of any opportunity you have to try different masks. They are not cheap and if there are trial options, try as many as you can.

4. Download SleepyHead

See the links below in my post. You will want to use this software to view your results of your first night tomorrow.

That is about all I can think of. Good luck. If you have any questions about the above just ask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all that info, as soon as I get home, I will check and set everything up as you suggested. I got the loaner from a member on another forum, she has been very helpful and very gracious to let me use this machine til I get mine, and she might have set all that for me already.

I do have Sleepyhead downloaded and a profile all set up, got a new SD card all ready to go
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like you are well prepared. If the machine has been used before, you might want to make a more thorough check to see to what extent it has been modified. There is an option in the Clinical Menu to set all options back to factory defaults. You could start there. Do you have a Clinical Manual?
Post Reply Post Reply
She did tell me that she set everything back to default before setting it up for me...and I do have a manual...I think I am good to go for now...looking forward to cranking it up tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Apneaboard Forum,
The Dreamweaver mask might give you a few problems with getting it to seal being a new user.
I hope not, as things like this can put you off a bit.  The main thing is not to ever give up.
When I started there were no help forums set up and what you learned was what you picked up at the clinics or meet ups.
Or usually just by phoning the Sleep Clinic repeatedly until you got someone to answer you with an answer that made a bit of sense.
It was difficult times at the start, so if you have any problems please ask, someone might have the answer.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
my first night went very well in my opinion...i woke up feeling pretty good...kept the mask on all night...i did fight a few leaks here and there, but nothing that made me get up or get out of bed. My AHI went down to 2.8. my min pressure was 8cm...it was suggested to bump it up tonight since my pressure is on auto and went up to 12 and stayed there most of the night...so i'm gonna start there....a lil more pressure might help seal the mask better, i hope.

I'm very greatful there are forums like this with people that have shared their experiences and knowledge....i've learned so much since I started this journey in Feb.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't put it up to 12, I think 9 or 10 would be high enough and leave it open to find out what it wants to go to over a few nights.
2.1 is very good for a first night, some people never get as low as that.
Good to see you got on fine the first night, hope it continues   Smile
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
If you post a SleepyHead chart of the Daily detail screen it would be helpful, to get good suggestions. See my link below on how to optimize the layout so you can get the most important detail on the screen shot.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2018, 02:13 PM)Vitamin J Wrote: Just came across this place and thought I'd join up.

Welcome to Apnea Board. IMO a smart move to educate yourself on health issues such as sleep apneas. I didn't when first diagnosed in early 2015, and I still regret that failure on my part.

When you can, regarding the sleep report, including the upcoming titration and script, request of your doctor copies of those in full not a summary. Things do happen where we can't access these after a while, so it's wise to get them now. You may wish to post screenshots of them while redacting private info.

Best wishes on a soon to be successful apnea therapy treatment. Keep us updated and if there's questions, feel free to ask.

If it wasn't yet suggested, you can do some homework in the Beginner link in my signature.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 22 382 4 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 59 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 386 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 479 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,807 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First-time CPAP Machine Advice (Newly Diagnosed OSA) Franko39 2 412 11-15-2023, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Franko39

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.