Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newly diagnosed. Dr. Recommending oral appliance instead of CPAP
RE: Newly diagnosed. Dr. Recommending oral appliance instead of CPAP
(07-26-2014, 10:56 PM)Doc J Wrote: I think any oral appliance that displaced your jaw (I am assuming that's what it does) would hurt. But what do I know I have not tried it, sounds like a cramp waiting to happen. Cpap is no picnic so it's up to you. I didn't have a choice and I am happy for Pap and that it works.

I have no significant comfort or compliance issues with my oral appliance after a year and a half. You want a good sleep dentist to fit one custom.

I was not fully satisfied with the apnea reduction and am now going back to CPAP, but still using the oral appliance so I can keep the CPAP at lower pressures.

Absolutely the oral appliance can work for some people. For others, it may not be enough or it may cause discomfort.

Don in Austin
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2014, 11:09 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I would ask your doctor how he intends to track the effectiveness of the oral appliance. I think for some people they can do wonders, the main problem with them is there's very few ways to tell if it is actually working.

The best home method is to use an oximeter at night. But this only works if you are one of those whose blood oxygen saturation rate dropped during the night due to obstructive sleep apnea.

The most expensive method is to wear it during yet another sleep study.

The pulse oximeter will track O2 and heart rate.

If your O2 levels do not dip accompanied by pulse rate spikes can you really be having significant problematic apnea? Isn't the pulse rate spike and O2 starvation what is bad about an apnea?

A home sleep study is a compromise solution for monitoring a program.

Don in Austin
Post Reply Post Reply
Also it loosened my teeth and I have read it can displace your crowns.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I finally got a copy of the results. Going to see the Dr. soon but I'd love to hear some of your opinions:

Sleep efficiency: 90.3%
Latency: 17.2 minutes (fast for me)
Stage N1: 14.2% (increased)
Stage N2: 59.4% (increased)
Stage N3: 7.8% (decreased)
2 REM sleep periods: 18.6% total (decreased)

REM sleep latency: 147.5 minutes (this concerns me a bit)

Overall AHI: 7.3
REM Specific AHI: 16.9
Obstructive apnea index: 0.0 events/hr (doesn't make sense to me?)
Obstructive hyponeas: 44 recorded with mean duration 20.4 (I guess I have hyponeas and not apneas?)
RDI: 7.9
Mean o2 Saturation: 95.6%
Lowest Saturation: 86%
48 arousals related to respiratory events making the index 7.9/hour
69 spontaneous arousals (11.4/hour)

I'd appreciate any insights you guys have into this report.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Angry 
I wanted to share my experience with an appliance. Firstly it cost me $2000 and my health plan did not cover it. I tried it for several months and eventually went into a sleep clinic to test if it was working. Nope. My apnea level was as high or higher than ever ( explains why I was still tired while using it ).
Secondly it displaced my jaw slightly enough that my teeth do not quite align the same any more.. Stay away from this solution !
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2014, 05:32 PM)steveg11sings Wrote: I wanted to share my experience with an appliance. Firstly it cost me $2000 and my health plan did not cover it. I tried it for several months and eventually went into a sleep clinic to test if it was working. Nope. My apnea level was as high or higher than ever ( explains why I was still tired while using it ).
Secondly it displaced my jaw slightly enough that my teeth do not quite align the same any more.. Stay away from this solution !

That is your experience.
Mine is different.

Don in Austin

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2014, 11:11 PM)Don in Austin Wrote:
(07-30-2014, 05:32 PM)steveg11sings Wrote: I wanted to share my experience with an appliance. Firstly it cost me $2000 and my health plan did not cover it. I tried it for several months and eventually went into a sleep clinic to test if it was working. Nope. My apnea level was as high or higher than ever ( explains why I was still tired while using it ).

That is your experience.
Mine is different.

Don in Austin

But Steve's experience points out what is possible. Then one must make up one's mind if it is worth the risk.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your input. Looks like insurance will pay for my appliance or CPAP. I think I'm going to see how it goes with the appliance then move on from there.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2014, 10:57 PM)danf183 Wrote: Thank you all for your input. Looks like insurance will pay for my appliance or CPAP. I think I'm going to see how it goes with the appliance then move on from there.

Will it cover CPAP later if the oral appliance fails? Will it pay for the second sleep study to confirm that the oral appliance works?

There's a good change the oral appliance will fail. Not everyone's apnea is caused by an abnormal jaw position, or can be fixed by pulling the jaw forward.

Good luck with whatever you try, however.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
THERE
THERE IS A VERY BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A CPAP AND A DENTAL GUARD.
THE DIFFERENCE = DOT (DEPARTMENT OF THANSPORTATION RULES)
THE DOT RECOGNIZES THE CPAP.
THE DOT DOES NOT RECOGNIZE A DENTAL GUARD.
IF YOU HOLD A CDL AND HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH SLEEP APNEA, YOU WILL HAVE TO CUDDLE UP WITH THE CPAP. OF COURSE, IF YOU DO AN IN-HOME SLEEP STUDY, NO ONE REALLY KNOWS IF YOU USED DENTAL GUARDS OR NOT.

HAVING STUDIED THIS ISSUE SINCE ITS BEGINNING, THE MAIN ISSUE IS MONEY - - LOTS AND LOTS OF MONEY TO BE MADE BY THOSE WITH THEIR HANDS IN THIS PARTICULAR TILL.

MOST OF THOSE WHO MAKE "THE RULES" ALSO HAVE THEIR HANDS IN THE TILL, WITH SLEEP STUDY "FACILITIES" AND STOCK IN THE CPAP MACHINES AND SUPPLIES.

==================================
(07-26-2014, 01:47 PM)danf183 Wrote: Hi all-

After 3 in lab sleep studies, and 2 home studies, I finally have a diagnosis. My most recent in lab study showed an AHI of 9.4 during NREM, and 16.9 during REM sleep.

I understand that this is moderate sleep apnea. My doctor recommended trying the oral appliance first before a CPAP machine. After searching through this board, it seems like most people opt for CPAP. Is there any reason I shouldn't try the oral appliance first and go straight for a machine?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 22 396 10 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 60 03-27-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 129 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 389 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 479 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,807 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.