Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newly diagnosed. Dr. Recommending oral appliance instead of CPAP
RE: Newly diagnosed. Dr. Recommending oral appliance instead of CPAP
(07-26-2014, 10:56 PM)Doc J Wrote: I think any oral appliance that displaced your jaw (I am assuming that's what it does) would hurt. But what do I know I have not tried it, sounds like a cramp waiting to happen. Cpap is no picnic so it's up to you. I didn't have a choice and I am happy for Pap and that it works.

yes, it would, and may cause or exacerbate TMJD.

I had a dental appliance that was meant to *help* with TMJD by moving the jaw forward - which is what these do... The pain that caused in my jaw was a major bell ringer. The pain subsides, but I have never been able to chew properly since wearing that stupid thing! (it has been > 30 yrs since I had it!)
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't waste your time and/or money with the oral appliance. I went and bought one ($2200) out of my pocket and it did NOT work. It caught all my saliva and made me drool (lol) and I could not swallow easy, much less fall asleep with the infernal thing in my mouth. Luckily the provider gave me a partial refund, but still cost me a lot. Just sayin..

Mark
Post Reply Post Reply
Just my opinion but the oral appliance is a high risk option that should not be allowed to be offered
Speaking as one whos cardiac health was severely damaged by untreated SA its not worth the risk.
Unless your being monitored nightly for O2 and apnea you could well be suffering both nd have no idea you are.
Oral appliance seldom works anyway, and is simply milking your insurance.
Go with cpap. You will wind up there anyway.
But you wont suffer serious damage to your health on cpap where you very well may with the oral appliance.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2015, 11:50 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: Just my opinion but the oral appliance is a high risk option that should not be allowed to be offered
Speaking as one whos cardiac health was severely damaged by untreated SA its not worth the risk.
Unless your being monitored nightly for O2 and apnea you could well be suffering both nd have no idea you are.
But you wont suffer serious damage to your health on cpap where you very well may with the oral appliance.

Ghost,

What I previously posted on the forum:

"""This is a study from 2011 with 805 partipants comparing the effectiveness of fixed to adjustable dental appliances which were alot more effective in getting the AHI below 5 for mostly mild to moderate ranges.

https://advancedbrainmonitoring.app.box....7pjn8s11y4

Now it would be great to see an updated study but I don't think you can just throw this out the window.

I do agree that pap therapy should always be the first option tried and that is what I would have also recommended to the OP. But there are many people who have difficulties with it in spite of trying everything possible to make it work and this is a reasonable next option to try as long as there aren't any contraindications.

You're right about there not being able to measure whether you are having an apnea or not. But then again, if a person can't tolerate pap therapy, there is nothing to measure, right?

49er

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2015, 04:04 AM)49er Wrote:
(12-13-2015, 11:50 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: Just my opinion but the oral appliance is a high risk option that should not be allowed to be offered

Ghost,

What I previously posted on the forum:

"""This is a study from 2011 with 805 partipants comparing the effectiveness of fixed to adjustable dental appliances which were alot more effective in getting the AHI below 5 for mostly mild to moderate ranges.

https://advancedbrainmonitoring.app.box....7pjn8s11y4

Now it would be great to see an updated study but I don't think you can just throw this out the window.

I do agree that pap therapy should always be the first option tried and that is what I would have also recommended to the OP. But there are many people who have difficulties with it in spite of trying everything possible to make it work and this is a reasonable next option to try as long as there aren't any contraindications.

You're right about there not being able to measure whether you are having an apnea or not. But then again, if a person can't tolerate pap therapy, there is nothing to measure, right?

49er

I tend to not put much stock in studies that dont make much sense.

There are studies that say cpap is superior to auto pap which is silly. At very least one can set auto to their straight cpap pressure as min then give 2 cm hgher for max as a hedge against residual events..

Now there is the point if a person simply cant use pap for some reason where an oral appliance is better than nothing , if it works at all. Which there is no way of knowing..
A one night study really cant tell one much as we know as far as whst is actually going on night to night.
Uf a person cant use pap then try oral appliance. But jimo it should never be offered as the first option.

Post Reply Post Reply
My $0.02 - I did try an oral device first, while I was waiting to see the sleep Dr. It did help - in fact, I saw a dramatic improvement in the first night, but I was sure it wasn't doing enough. For me, this was just a side-show while waiting to see the sleep Dr.

While my crappy Obamacare health plan doesn't cover DME at all, what it does cover is sleep studies! So along the way, I asked the sleep Dr. if I could repeat the diagnostic study with the oral device in place, just to see what it DID do - and she agreed. In the study with the oral device in place, my AHI was about 1/2 of what it was untreated (28 vs 57). That's a big improvement, but clearly not a replacement for PAP.

I already had TMJ issues, so I was keenly aware of the potential for making my TMJ worse - for me, that didn't happen, but I didn't use the device for years, either - just a few weeks. Since getting my machine I've been using the oral device for one or two-night trips away from home, and it seems it's good enough for that. If I go on a longer trip, I expect I'll be hauling a machine along with me (that backup machine that I haven't gotten yet).

Post Reply Post Reply
I also vote for CPAP.
The dental solution is just a money pit in most cases so
take your time and $$ and put it on something that is proven to work (as long as you use it properly)

Cheers & good luck!

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
When I only knew that I was snoring badly, my orthodontist had an oral device for me by the leading company for these. I found that it helped with the snoring a bit, but not all according to my partner.

My main concern is that they do tell you, and make you sign a waiver that it could permanently change your bite and dentition, but I didn't think it would happen so quickly to me. Over the course of approximately 8 months my jaw advanced forward to the point that none of my back molars touch each other anymore, chewing is not effective, and there is pressure on my front teeth which is the only place touching anymore.

Two dentists I know tried the oral device too, but x-rayed after a few months and when they saw the bone changes went to CPAP.

I have severe OSA, original study was 41 AHI. With a mild case it might work. But, if you do decide to try it, please follow up with dental x-rays so you and your doctor can monitor any changes in your jaw and teeth. Changes are permanent unless you do Ortho.

Good Luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
I've tried a doctor-provided and fitted oral device. While it is certainly better than nothing on a camping trip, it is pretty uncomfortable. Takes about an hour to get jaw back in line in the morning. CPAP took about a month to get used to...9 years ago. If you're like me after I discovered the benefits, you won't go a night without the CPAP. I sleep like a baby.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a very big reason the people who sell these devices advertise like crazy. I have never seen or heard an ad on the radio for cpap but I hear them all the time for dental appliances. Hmmm...
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 22 393 8 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 60 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 128 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 388 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 479 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,807 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.