Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newly diagnosed. Dr. Recommending oral appliance instead of CPAP
RE: Newly diagnosed. Dr. Recommending oral appliance instead of CPAP
(07-26-2014, 01:47 PM)danf183 Wrote: Hi all-

After 3 in lab sleep studies, and 2 home studies, I finally have a diagnosis. My most recent in lab study showed an AHI of 9.4 during NREM, and 16.9 during REM sleep.

I understand that this is moderate sleep apnea. My doctor recommended trying the oral appliance first before a CPAP machine. After searching through this board, it seems like most people opt for CPAP. Is there any reason I shouldn't try the oral appliance first and go straight for a machine?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Three lab studies? Someone is after your wallet. The efficacy of an oral device can only be demonstrated by another lab study. I suspect it actually might get your overall AHI near or below 5.0, so success, at least in the short term. However a simple $600 auto CPAP will not only give you better results, it will report your AHI every night at no additional cost.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2014, 01:47 PM)danf183 Wrote: My doctor recommended trying the oral appliance first before a CPAP machine. After searching through this board, it seems like most people opt for CPAP. Is there any reason I shouldn't try the oral appliance first and go straight for a machine?

It gave my wife TMJ and a lisp and loose teeth and didn't fix the apnea.

There's a reason for you. 8-)

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2015, 10:14 PM)Terry Wrote:
(07-26-2014, 01:47 PM)danf183 Wrote: My doctor recommended trying the oral appliance first before a CPAP machine. After searching through this board, it seems like most people opt for CPAP. Is there any reason I shouldn't try the oral appliance first and go straight for a machine?

Following is a repeat of my post to another thread:
I abandoned my cpap 31/2 months ago in favor of a mandibular advancement splint. Although it was not verified by a full sleep study, the splint seemed effective as demonstrated by an overnight oximetry test.
However...I have developed a painful temporal mandibular disorder (TMD) which makes eating a painful experience. My jaw has moved forward and to the left resulting in misaligned teeth and pain in the jaw hinge. I visited another dentist today and was told that if I continue using the splint, I may permanently misalign my jaw. He also told me that opening the airway by advancing the jaw will allow the soft tissue which is blocking the airway to grow in size making it necessary to increase the advancement.
So...in my case, the advancement splint is not an effective approach. I am returning to my trusty cpap tonight.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2015, 08:08 AM)JimZZZ Wrote:
(12-16-2015, 10:14 PM)Terry Wrote:

Following is a repeat of my post to another thread:
I abandoned my cpap 31/2 months ago in favor of a mandibular advancement splint. Although it was not verified by a full sleep study, the splint seemed effective as demonstrated by an overnight oximetry test.
However...I have developed a painful temporal mandibular disorder (TMD) which makes eating a painful experience. My jaw has moved forward and to the left resulting in misaligned teeth and pain in the jaw hinge. I visited another dentist today and was told that if I continue using the splint, I may permanently misalign my jaw. He also told me that opening the airway by advancing the jaw will allow the soft tissue which is blocking the airway to grow in size making it necessary to increase the advancement.
So...in my case, the advancement splint is not an effective approach. I am returning to my trusty cpap tonight.

Good news...After only three nights back on CPAP, my misaligned jaw has returned to a normal lateral position, i.e., when I close my mouth, my teeth are in alignment. I continue to find when my left molars are in contact, there is space between my right molars and it is painful to force them closed. Hopefully, in time my jaw will close completely.

Post Reply Post Reply
Had the discussion about the device vs CPAP with my sleep doc and he gave me the why do you want to do that look. His experience is they don't work and can cause other issues especially with bite and jaw alignment. He also mentioned that from experience most of the insurers consider them more of a dental device instead of a medical device. I know with my dental insurance it wouldn't be covered for the SA but would be if it was designed for TMJ. (asked my dentist about that one). Still, CPAP is a lot cheaper and you get instant results as to whether it works or not.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 21 361 6 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 58 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 127 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 386 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 478 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,805 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.