Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newly diagnosed REM related apnea
RE: Newly diagnosed REM related apnea
Thank you! Oh, also - they recommended a pressure setting of “4-20 range”. I heard that’s the “lazy” doctor setting. I’ve read a lot of people that did not benefit from treatment because they were given a range that was too wide. But I guess I wouldn’t know this till trying it for a few nights regardless?
Post Reply Post Reply
You're quite accurate in the assessment 4-20 is the lazy doc's way out. How much effort is there to use defaults? None.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
"My RDI was 28 for my entire sleep, and about 5 per hour. My AHI was 5 for my entire sleep and about 0.7 per hour."

ahi and rdi are averages per hour. I don't see reference to 5 and .07 in the report page you posted.

I read it to say you had 5 apnea/hypopnea events and 28 respiratory disturbances per hour, calculated over a 6 hour 21 minute sleep time with O2 desaturations greater than or equal to 3%.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
If you look closely at the top of where you’re looking it says “total events”. So I assume that means total events period, for the entire sleep time. On the brochure (which I didn’t attach) it broke it down to hourly and said 0.7 ahi per hour and like 5 RDI per hour. I posted somewhere else and someone responded saying a qualified physician would never diagnose this report as OSA and that they may just be trying to get me to purchase the cpap. So do these numbers not add up for the diagnosis?
Post Reply Post Reply
I see what you're saying and it's certainly confusing. total events vs ahi/rdi which are kind of contradictory. the i's are per hour. you wouldn't likely be prescribed pap with 0.7ahi. I don't know what the rdi threshold is but intuitively I'd think 5/hr isn't as significant as an ahi of 5/hr so intuitively I suspect that's not enough to prescribe pap either. still, in the absence of other information to the contrary, I read ahi/rdi as what they are: events/hour.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
You have marginal mild OSA.

AHI of 5 means you have stopped or heavily restricted breathing on average, once every 12 minutes.

Think of it as your partner elbowing you and saying "honey breathe" every 12 minutes throughout the entire night.

All that said this is a mild case. It is very likely it will become more severe as you age, but for now you have a choice. And neither choice is wrong.
Ask yourself why you got tested in the first place?

I have some concern about your reported 85% Oxygen reading. 85% is too low if for any kind of duration. A low number, a spike of say 85% says I need to know more. What matters is time at level such as
96 minutes <= 85%
So what can you tell us, your report said no problem w oxygen.
Post Reply Post Reply
The smallest apnea is 10 seconds or longer and you are doing that 8 times a night causing your O2 saturation to drop below 88% and you wonder IF you might need pap therapy?
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I am confused. I’ve attached a picture of the “brochure” they send you which is the simplified version of the report, and it seems like it is 0.7 ahi per hour? Are they just using the wrong term. You’re right it doesn’t seem like enough for a cpap. That’s why I’m concerned. I don’t want to go on the cpap unless I actually need one, for obvious reasons. I don’t know if UARS is truly a separate thing but it seems like if I had anything it would be that, not necessarily OSA where my airways completely close..maybe just restricted breathing.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
And here is the brochure summary regarding the RDI

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Oxygen sat was at a low of 85 if I'm reading accurately. If true, some thing is causing your oxygen level to drop dangerously low. We don't know the time duration yet though. If PAP isn't the right answer then supplemental oxygen is. You may want to get a recording pulse oximeter and get a phonecall in to that doctor ASAP.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 21 358 5 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 56 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 386 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Diagnosis] Fractured sleep: Spontaneous arousal or breathing related? Twoshade 8 558 12-24-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Twoshade
  Sleep Apnea and Cushing's disease related? NorthernGuy 4 406 12-19-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.