Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newly diagnosed and need help for a good start
Question 
Newly diagnosed and need help for a good start
I Just got my results from a test at home I did the first week of December... look like I need a machine !i! The Doc told me that I stopped breeding 64 times in hour ! Ouch... 

The provider up here in Montreal was asking 1500$ to 2000$ for basic machine... long story short, I bought a brand new machine online and will set it up my self... paid Less then 700$ for a Phillips Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP with all the bells and whistle .

My prescription in 6 to 16 Cm, +/-2cm... I choose a full mask to start and will see how it goes.

Now my question... is there any setting that will help my get a good start ?

I downloaded the programming Manuel for it, won’t be a problem to enter the prescription it self...
The part that I’m unsure is all the other settings, the flex, flex+, ramp , time for ramp and start of point, the humidifier and the heated tube settings ... I’m getting lost in there, and there must be some settings in there that I don’t even know about yet !i! 

I getting the machine this week and planning to use Pc software to help get the most info I can get.

All suggestions and "must do" are welcome as I’m a complete newbie and don’t know yet what would be the standard start point and default...

Thanks a lot for the help !i! 

Ben
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newly diagnosed and need help for a good start
plug and play at min 6 and max 16/20. It doesn't really matter at this stage, because it will be changed. First do a mask fit using the mask fit function on the machine. read the mask fit in my signature and all the videos you can find on mask fit. This is the most important part at this stage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqLpO6ubYw8

Then post the sleepyhead chart the next day. The forum will give you ideas from there.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Welcome to the forum, Benz30. Welcome

Good luck with your new journey.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome! Here is a link for beginners. It has links to other subjects that can help you get started. I would look over Mask Primer first. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...re_success

Also below is a link to Sleepyhead a free software program that most people here use. It'll give you detailed data from your machine. All you'll need is a SD card which comes with your machine and a card reader or card slot in your computer.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome,

All the above.

Keep all posted data in a single thread, makes it easier to see and view history.

If you have not, get and post a copy of your Sleep Studies, both your original and the titration study if you had one.  There will be information there that will help us.

There are 2 parts to therapy, the first is the obvious, the numbers, you are doing this to reduce your apnea.  The second, and early on, more important is your comfort and how you feel.  Your DreamStation does you absolutely no good unless you use it and your comfort is what helps that along.  Keep us in the loop and we will help you get there.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2018, 07:36 AM)pupcamper Wrote: Hi Welcome to the forum, Benz30. Welcome

Thanks you !i! Can’t wait to get a full night of sleep... I been waking up every 1:30/ 2h for the last 8 months.

Ajack,

So I should enter my prescription and leave the rest to default ??
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2018, 11:02 AM)Benz30 Wrote:
(01-20-2018, 07:36 AM)pupcamper Wrote: Hi Welcome to the forum, Benz30. Welcome

Thanks you !i! Can’t wait to get a full night of sleep... I been waking up every 1:30/ 2h for the last 8 months.

Ajack,

So I should enter my prescription and leave the rest to default ??
IMHO That would be a good place to start, with Ramp OFF.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good... I wasn’t sure about all the Flex options, flex,flex+ and A-Flex....
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2018, 08:00 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: Welcome! Here is a link for beginners. It has links to other subjects that can help  you get started. I would look over Mask Primer first.  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...re_success

Also below is a link to Sleepyhead a free software program that most people here use. It'll give you detailed data from your machine. All you'll need is a SD card which comes with your machine and a card reader or card slot in your computer.

Thanks Walla Walla,

I been reading the board since Thursday night,
I all ready downloaded the software Sleepyhead on the computer and I’m just waiting for the machine this week.

I’ll keep you posted on my progress..
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like I need more than 4 post to send a picture...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 14 251 4 hours ago
Last Post: Dormeo
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 109 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 141 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 269 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 771 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,231 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 8 608 12-19-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.