Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newly diagnosed and on dream station
Newly diagnosed and on dream station
Hello,
I was recently diagnosed with obstructive apnea after overnight oximetry, sleep study and given a Dreamstaton auto with an O2 concentrator. I've been researching, but still kinda of baffled about the meaning of the data that sleepyhead displays. I run in the 8-15 AHI with a nasal congestion battle (but it seems to be better after the meds (flonase, allegra, etc.). I tried to capture a screen shot with related data, and I'm asking for input.
Thanks for consideration, this forum is great...given the limited information I'm getting from the sleep center (somewhat worried). I am 9 days on the dream station, so this may be premature?
[attachment=11424]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newly diagnosed and on dream station
Welcome to the forum.  
You have a lot of flow limits and RERAs.  Unfortunately, these don't count for AHI which is also too high.
RERAs are defined as a series of flow limitations followed by arousal.  Arousals are disrupted sleep, not good.

Can you put the machine in Auro mode instead of fixed CPAP.  Set the range from 8 to 15 and set Flex on full time and set Flex = 2.  We want to get an effect similar to a BiPAP machine and adding the flex with the higher pressure will bracket your fixed 7 pressure when you start.  

Also read the "Organize" link in my signature and set your charts up that way.  Also, kill the PieChart.  Always show a non-zoomed view for context when showing a zoomed view.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your reply, I'm still in full learning mode and appreciate your expertise in this matter. I'll post out results.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,

Ok, made the changes to move to Auto, Flex, and pressure bracket as suggested.

AHI went down with an uptick in vibratory snore and some periodic breathing. I'm reviewing the PB info (1 graph of overall and then a zoom to on of the PB episode. There's always some new happening (PB and snoring). More research Thinking-about

Very happy with the AHI  Thanks

[attachment=11462]
[attachment=11463]
Post Reply Post Reply
Marshapnea,

I suggest you turn off the VS2 on Sleepyhead.  It doesn't record actual snores.  (It doesn't in my case because my snore detector, wife, tells me I don't snore anymore but did like a freight train before CPAP.)  VS2 only lights up your graph like a Christmas tree and nobody has really explained just exactly it measures.  I get about a dozen VS2 readings every night and I just ignore them. 

You can turn off the VS2 flags under preferences in Sleepyhead.

I'm also good for about 1-3% periodic breathing every night.  Not a big deal.  

Like you, my biggest problem was hyponeas and I eliminated most of them with increasing pressure slowly.  I'd wait a few days before increasing your pressure just to see where your recent changes take you.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can disregard the VS2 as no one really knows what it means. I read it could be noise picked up from the room like a snoring partner, dog, and even dragging your hose across the top of your headboard. You can turn the VS2 off at the bottom of the graph on the left side where it says "flag". Do pay attention to "VS". As far as that little amount of "PB" I doubt it means anything. Sometimes when I roll over I seem to hold my breath and this could cause it. I certainly wouldn't worry about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's what I was looking for.
Ignore the vs2 you can turn that off from the events drop-down on the bottom left of the graphs.
See how the RERAs and hypopneas are down. You are now in the go slow zone. That means small changes and time in-between.

Try the same settings for a night or two noting how you are feeling, how your symptoms are, and how your comfort is impacted.
Then increase flex to 3 and raise pressure by .5
Flex on 3 doesn't always work and that's ok, we can set it back to 2. But keep the pressure raised by .5
Post Reply Post Reply
bonjour,
Will do as suggested in this thread and go slow with periodic result report.

Best Regards and a repeated Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

1. The DS is set to 8 to 15 auto, flex of 2 for a couple of days (AHI about 5-7), this is the first screenshot.
2. The DS is set to 8.5 to 15 auto, flex of 3 for a couple of days (AHI about 2), this is the second/third screenshot.

[attachment=11563]
[attachment=11564]
[attachment=11565]

Any observations/suggestions would be appreciated.

p.s. I like OSCAR, so I'm switching over. Congratulations to the team.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,
made some modifications to increase to 8.5 min pressure for auto and aflex wiith 3 as a rate.

Then I took a harder look at my wake ups during the night.

There is a non-event flow rate wave form that preceeds my wake-up (this happens on more than one day), and then the numbers go straight to h#ll as I attempt to go back to sleep.

[attachment=11608]
[attachment=11609]

Next step is to try cervical collar....unless I'm dealing with left branch block (nobody in the office is too concerned)...but it is what it is....hopefully I'll go in my sleep, if it's not a positional issue.

Best Regards
CPAP is an aerobic exersize
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 15 256 16 minutes ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 269 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 933 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 467 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,775 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First-time CPAP Machine Advice (Newly Diagnosed OSA) Franko39 2 392 11-15-2023, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Newly diagnosed. prettybadapnea 2 359 11-07-2023, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.