Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newly diagnosed and on dream station
RE: Newly diagnosed and on dream station
Your results certainly improved with pressure 8.5-15, but declined when you changed AFlex to 3. I strongly encourage you to turn down the Flex setting as I have see the Flex at 3 generally causes more problems. Your machine is not moving off of the 8.5 pressure except for the normal "tests" of higher pressure that Philips machines all do periodically. There is still some flow limitation, and I think you would may do better with a minimum pressure at 9.0. Be sure to turn flex to 1 or 2.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback! 

I'll adjust as suggested and see how I do over the next few days.

It's incredible how complex this is, and I'll keep going and learning.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,
I'm starting to understand flex a bit better IMHO, and doing as you suggested (dial flex back from 3 to 2, and minimum pressure from 8.5 to 9.)

It really helped (just one night so far) and AHI went to .55 and I managed to sleep the night.

As far as flex is considered "less is more for me", since increasing EPAP pressure from 6.6 to 7.2 seems to be a big help. I changed both variables (min pressure and flex) at once....but it certainly worked. I guess it's playing the cards you are dealt, in getting a auto cpap versus a bi-cpap.

Is it true that more OA are triggered on exhale? Or is this just a symptom of FLEX?

[attachment=11648]

Thanks
CPAP is an aerobic exersize
Post Reply Post Reply
OA events usually arise out of EPAP as the airway collapses at the end of expiration and at the nadir of EPAP pressure. Once that happens, the airway is closed, and respiratory effort and higher pressure just tend to reinforce the closed airway unless there is an arousal. The objective of the therapy is to keep the airway patent, so that is why all titration protocols emphasize increasing EPAP until OA is absent, then using pressure support (higher IPAP) to deal with hypopnea, flow limitations and snores. Even with CPAP, an apnea always arises out of exhale as the airway closes and prevents an effective inhale. Mechanically, the passive exhale effort creates pressure in the airway that keeps it open, but as exhale ends that pressure drops to near zero, and it is at that critical moment when tidal forces change, that the obstruction locks-in. Your machine does not provide true bilevel IPAP and EPAP, but Flex 3 does suppress pressure from returning at the end of exhale, so that probably explains why lower Flex settings are better.

Your results are fantastic and it appears the OA is fully resolved at these settings. Time will tell. Residual events, while few are hypopnea and flow limitation, so with bilevel, the next step is to increase the pressure support to 4.0. With the CPAP another 0.5 increase in minimum pressure is the alternative. Since events are so low I would consider this optional.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,
Thank you for clearing up the flex 3 issue and approach to titration/dosing.

1. What do you recommend for reading (I'd prefer a book versus LCD monitor)? 

Last night I kept the pressure settings 9 to 15, but dropped FLEX from 2 to 1.

AHI went to 3.

2. Is this a normal variation, or did reducing FLEX cause these to trigger?

[attachment=11661]
Post Reply Post Reply
Just for documentation, these are the numbers that I'm current following:
Dreamstation auto
Min pressure 9 Max 15
Flex 2
A-FLex
O2 is set at 2

AHI 7 night average 2.09 (max 3.96 min .55)

a few observations:
1. The Dreamstation reports a fair number of events upon full awake and resumption of sleep (flow rate pattern indicates awake and I can also confirm), I'll assume these are false events, which overstates AHI, given my sleep patterns.
2. When I started to work on sleep consolidation (no sleeping during the day (coffee), therefore longer session duration ), I noticed that the events dropped and lower AHI.
3. I feel fine, but it's been a gradual change for me. I expect that the O2 numbers are good,, but I'll need to confirm with the doc at my compliance meeting.

Thanks to all on this board!
Post Reply Post Reply
5/15/19 - met with the sleep doc, basically things are going real well with a high compliance with CPAP (91%) and AHI under 3 (a high number of false positives due to my being in a waked state versus sleep), Lost ~19lbs, which brought me to 272 from 292...so that was good news for a 8-10 week number. A few items;

1. Try to avoid napping during the afternoon slump.
2. Lose more weight
3. Exersize more intensely (versus my walking)

The goal is to get uninterrupted sleep over a 6 - 7 hour period, and 20 more pounds off

Finally went over my sleep study AHI was 72.4, and O2 level was 85%., the pre-sleep study oximetry was 67%,. talk about driving a car off a cliff.
Post Reply Post Reply
"O2 is set at 2"
2lt/m? try min 11, the 95% and let me know how the recording spo2 meter goes
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
O2 is 2 lt/minute, I've had some discussion with my doc on this, a recent oximetry (with the O2 supplement) was as follows:

O2 recent study was min 88% max 98% with average 91%,. This was a Resmed meter supplied by my DME for an overnight study 2 weeks ago. so, I'll work on getting a meter..

I have one more night that I'll check at 9-15 min/max pressure, and then I'll give a shot at 9.5 - 20 for min/max pressure. The 9.5 is 2cm below my 95% pressure of 11

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Have a read about fixed cpap or peep pressure and o2. The consensus is to raise o2, you raise pressure. It is the case with several people and it might be with you too.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 14 243 3 hours ago
Last Post: Dormeo
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 268 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 933 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 467 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,774 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First-time CPAP Machine Advice (Newly Diagnosed OSA) Franko39 2 392 11-15-2023, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Newly diagnosed. prettybadapnea 2 359 11-07-2023, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.