Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newly diagnosed and overwhelmed
Newly diagnosed and overwhelmed
Hello.

I was just diagnosed with sleep apnea yesturday. They gave me a loaner cpap machine and I have to go back in a few weeks for another sleep study. Any advice or good educational sites? I understand the sleep apnea just fine, but find the world of cpap machines confusing! Up until yesterday I thought they were loud big machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newly diagnosed and overwhelmed
Hi Thefabulousmrsk,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
There is lots of information here on this board to read about sleep apnea and lots of great people to help you understand it. You've come to the right place.
The newer machines are very quiet and quite a bit smaller than the older machines.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Thefabulousmrsk and welcome
As far as machines goes, you want data capable machine so you and the doctor can see how the therapy is working ... steer away from any resmed machine with escape in the name and Phillips Respironcis system one machine with model number below 460 (461 Canada)

Whats the loaner machine and are you going to pay for the machine or provided free by the generous Toronto health dept

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2014, 04:10 PM)Thefabulousmrsk Wrote: Hello.

I was just diagnosed with sleep apnea yesturday. They gave me a loaner cpap machine and I have to go back in a few weeks for another sleep study. Any advice or good educational sites? I understand the sleep apnea just fine, but find the world of cpap machines confusing! Up until yesterday I thought they were loud big machines!
Welcome to the forum! I also am new at this but am in love with my ResMed S9 Autoset. It is small, quiet and has two features that you must have in whatever device you choose; it records all the data you need to monitor your treatment and the autoset function allows you to fine tune the pressure required to minimize your apnea. Good luck and stay tuned for more impressive advice.

Post Reply Post Reply
My loaner is a resmed autoset 8. I slept with it last night but only a few hours. I don't remember everything from my appointment yesturday because I'm in that constant state of exhaustion I think only you guys can understand. I am very lucky to have full coverage for this!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome, Thefabulousmrsk, get upgraded to a S9, most cpaps are very quite now, you will be fine and good luck.
I think you are right about us understanding how you feel in a constant state of exhuastion, no one else knows what it's like, hopefully in the next few months, that state will lift Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum!

CPAP is a whole new way of breathing and it will take you some time to adapt. Some lucky people take to it straight away but for most of us it's a matter of weeks or months. At first it will seem like you're going backwards - don't lose heart, it's part of the process.

The most important things in my opinion are: 1. Your attitude, 2. Your mask, 3. Your support network, and 4. Your machine.

Attitude - Apnea can be a life threatening illness, with lots of nasty side effects like heart failure and stroke. You probably already know this. But use this knowledge as a stimulus to stick with the program. Use your machine every night even when it seems like too much bother. It will save your life.

Mask - your mask is the most important part of your gear. If it's not comfortable or leaks a lot you won't get any value from your therapy. Every face is different - that's why there are dozens of different makes and models of mask. Try as many as you need to to get one that's right for you. Don't let the supplier just give you whatever's on the shelf. If your mask isn't right then all else is wasted.

Support network: people who don't have apnea don't understand the crushing fatigue we can suffer. Family, local support groups and online forums like this one can all help. Use this forum as much as you want to. We're all here to learn and to help each other.

Machine - as mentioned above, it is important to get a data capable machine. This will record your progress on a breath by breath basis, and allow you to see statistics and graphs on your computer. This is important information for you and your doctor (though it seems some doctors don't recognise this fact). The data capability provides solid evidence of your progress, essential in these days of evidence based medicine.

The exact details of your apnea will dictate the type of machine you get, but in general an Autoset is the best all-round. This type of machine will adjust the pressure automatically to give you the lowest pressure required to maintain your airway and increase it when needed if an apnea does occur. It can also be used as a constant pressure machine if necessary.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Thefabulousmrsk and welcome!
The machines today are very user friendly. They are pretty much set and forget. Of course, it is always good to know how to change settings and maintain them. This doesn't require you to be a rocket scientist. (Although I wouldn't be surprised if we have a member who is one!)
Take things in at your own speed and bring us your questions.
Again, welcome to the forum!
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
This place is awesome! I already feel better. I am sleeping in spurts but am not too worried about it as browsing through posts here I've read that's normal. The beauty of it is when I wake up, I wake up alert and feeling more rested then I did before going to sleep. It's been a long time since I felt like that! Mind you waking up at 1am alert is not ideal but it's a step in the right direction.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a recent user myself, just on 2 months into my therapy and found this board to be very useful. I was also lucky as the cousin of a friend tests CPAP machines for a leading supplier in Australia. She does it for no compensation so her opinions on them are fairly much independent of bias. Using this as my starting point I was able to research her recommendations for myself comfortable that I would make a very informed decision. As per my profile I have a Resmed S9 Autoset, I found it offered me everything I wanted plus things I didn't know I would need but now appreciate. Even better when I purchased the supplier was having a manufacturers sale with bonus mask (my choice of provider not limited to Resmed), bonus heated tube to go with the humidifier, 5 year warranty and $500 off. I thought it was a great deal. Then through this site I found the clinician software which enables me to look at the data. To be honest the data is overwhelming, but I have it so at least I can have it analysed either when I learn how or by an expert.

I think Deepbreathing has summarised it best though.

Good luck and Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 15 263 3 hours ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 270 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 467 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,776 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First-time CPAP Machine Advice (Newly Diagnosed OSA) Franko39 2 392 11-15-2023, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Newly diagnosed. prettybadapnea 2 359 11-07-2023, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  p123 - Therapy Thread - Just diagnosed p123 58 2,609 11-07-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.