Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newly diagnosed and overwhelmed
RE: Newly diagnosed and overwhelmed
ThatOtherGuy, we all find the data overwhelming. I work a lot with technology so I wanted to understand it ALL. NOT!!! The key is taking small bites. I had to calm down and look at only a few things in the beginning. I watch mainly three things, AHI, leaks, and pressure. I have discovered especially in the beginning that leaks are the root of most all evil. There is a huge connection between leaking and AHI's. So, I don't concern myself much when I see a big cluster of leaks and a cluster of AHI's as long as the AHI is less than five.

Post Reply Post Reply
Relax, as DrGrimes says, everyone finds it to be like drinking through a firehose.

Those of us who love technology want to know it ALL and KNOW IT NOW. That just isn't possible at first.

Those who hate technology just want to hide and have someone get it right for them; problem is that this puts one at the mercy of others who really aren't available 24/7 to help (DME, doc, etc.)

Taking control on your own is a lot of work and must be approach a bit at a time, as much as is comfortable and just accept that the rest will come when possible.

Remember thousands (millions?) of people do this therapy with NO IDEA what is going on, so since you are already taking and interest and learning all you are able you are miles ahead of the average.

One quick suggestion: Go watch one of the YouTube reviews of your machine or your mask, or anything else you are interested in.

There are hundreds of CPAP demos and such on youtube, most 5-10 minutes. TheLankyLefty27 and [[ Auto Word Filter: links to spam URLs not allowed ]] are just two people with YouTube "channels" that review masks and machines.

Sometimes just seeing a video demo will help you to fix the knowledge in your mind so you can read about things more easily.

You can search for those "channels" above or you can just search for CPAP with the name of your machine or your mask.

I have an pillow mask so for ME the following search makes sense: Airfit P10 cpap | apap

The people on this board will help you....

Good luck and sweet dreams.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum Thefabulousmrsk. Having short periods of time on the machine in the beginning is normal. Each time you mask up try to get a little more time with it. Even now, after two months in, I have the occasional night when I just can't seem to get my mask adjusted and feeling good out of the gate. I have learned rather than fight it and keep fidgeting with it while it is on, I just take it off wait a few minutes and and try it again. I may have to do that 3 or 4 times but eventually it falls into place. Getting frustrated and mad only makes it worse. I don't know why some nights are more successful than others for me but I have just learned to accept that is how it is sometimes. Being patient rather than fighting it helps.

As others have mentioned, there is a learning curve to it for both your body's adjustment and also learning features of your machine and how to operate it; finding the right mask; tweaking adjustments on the machine and mask for comfort; and eliminating leaks for successful therapy. Attitude is a very big part of the journey. Don't let it get you down. It will get better. It is great that you already feel more rested in the morning. That can be a good motivation to remember on nights when things might not go as well as others. That too is normal.

I have read on here how others have gone a night without CPAP and found out just how crushing it feels the next day. Before you start therapy and having learned coping skills, you don't know fully how bad you were really feeling. Once you have started with any kind of improvement from therapy and then go without it, the reports I have read is it feels lousy. That has kept me diligent some difficult nights when I might have otherwise bagged it for the night. I have had enough improvement that I now think about the fact that I don't feel as exhausted mid afternoon at work, don't fall asleep trying to read or watch a TV program in the evening, and don't have to fight with myself and feel resentful making myself go to the gym after work because I was just too tired to but knew I had to. What a psychological drain that was and only added to the problem.

I also keep a journal. Even if it is just marking down hours, AHI, and leak rate ... I write down something. If I have had some kind of difficulty, I make a note of it. It helps me to go back and review progress, my thoughts, adjustments that helped, etc.

Good luck with your therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2014, 08:53 AM)drgrimes Wrote: ThatOtherGuy, we all find the data overwhelming. I work a lot with technology so I wanted to understand it ALL. NOT!!! The key is taking small bites. I had to calm down and look at only a few things in the beginning. I watch mainly three things, AHI, leaks, and pressure. I have discovered especially in the beginning that leaks are the root of most all evil. There is a huge connection between leaking and AHI's. So, I don't concern myself much when I see a big cluster of leaks and a cluster of AHI's as long as the AHI is less than five.
Through the forums, that is what I have learned so far, so many of the charts and data just goes unnoticed by me. These forums have been an unparalleled help.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2014, 03:43 PM)ThatOtherGuy Wrote: Through the forums, that is what I have learned so far, so many of the charts and data just goes unnoticed by me. These forums have been an unparalleled help.

Not sure you need it at this point, but just in case here's the link to the ResScan Interpretation Guide in PDF form:

http://www.apneaboard.com/ResScan_Interp...-Guide.pdf

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2014, 03:49 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(02-06-2014, 03:43 PM)ThatOtherGuy Wrote: Through the forums, that is what I have learned so far, so many of the charts and data just goes unnoticed by me. These forums have been an unparalleled help.

Not sure you need it at this point, but just in case here's the link to the ResScan Interpretation Guide in PDF form:

Coffee
Yeah got that. Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2014, 03:49 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:

Coffee

Uh...woah....helpful! Thanks That should be a sticky, how did I miss this guide till now.

After a quick read through, it's interesting that rescan is quick to call clear airway events central apneas and sleepyhead just calls them clear airways. Anyways, I been getting very familiar with sleepyhead even getting into the source code and it's very interesting the calculations that go into defining events.

Anyways that guide is helpful for any software because the wav forms are the exact same, just how they are interpreted is a little different and it's interesting seeing the data from a guide straight from the manufacturer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Deep breathing has much good guidance.

I have no insurance, but have worked all my life and have a lot of life experience. So I paid for my machine outright. Since I paid for it myself I did lots of reading to find the right one. The resumed 9s auto set is what I chose, since I have no doctors guidance, but common sense says I need a CPAP or a APAP based on my own observations of my sleep habits along with everyone that has slept around me I need sleep help.

It's funny but when you have to pay for your own equipment in my opinion, you really have to read a lot and try to get as much help as you can to help yourself. I exercise and try to eat right and I don't take medicine. I let my body heal what it can. I leave prayer to the rest. Smile

I wish you the best in your sleep endeavors. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
So update time. I'm still on a loaner. I just completed my second sleep study and go in for the results on Tuesday. I woke up during the study to a lot more pressure than I'm used to. Right now I'm at 8. They wouldn't tell me what they turned me up to in the sleep study but I felt a lot more rested. So hopefully with a pressure adjustment it will get better.

I'm lucky that I've taken to cpap well. Though tonight is one of those off nights where I'm struggling. Most nights I don't though. However I'm on a 3 day work week and feel just barely able to get through. Most work days I fall asleep by 7 pm. Mind you before cpap 3 days was too hard and I was looking at disability. I'm suffering from depression and no matter how hard I'd try I'd always crash. Medication helps with mood but of course not energy. My depression is so much better. I think that's the area that's improved the most so far. I am starting to feel like my old vibrant self again. Even if it's in short bursts.

I'm not doing any data monitoring yet. I'm going to wait till I have my own machine before I tackle that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2014, 03:49 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: http://www.apneaboard.com/ResScan_Interp...-Guide.pdf

Wow, that's a cool guide! Resmed seems to be so design and end-user/client focused (Apple?) and Philips seems to be focused more on the DME partner channel (Microsoft?).

Where's your cool guide Philips Respironics?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 15 265 5 hours ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 272 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 467 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,776 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First-time CPAP Machine Advice (Newly Diagnosed OSA) Franko39 2 392 11-15-2023, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Newly diagnosed. prettybadapnea 2 359 11-07-2023, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  p123 - Therapy Thread - Just diagnosed p123 58 2,609 11-07-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.