Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newly diagnosed and overwhelmed
RE: Newly diagnosed and overwhelmed
(04-02-2014, 08:47 AM)c0reDump Wrote:
(04-02-2014, 08:10 AM)GreyParrot Wrote: The pressurized air never bothered me even when I was at 14psi. Now at 12.5. Masks leaks were my big problem.

Just wanted to correct this -- 14psi is enough to burst a basketball Smile
CPAP pressures are measured in centimeters of water (cmH2O):

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=CmH2O

A maxed out CPAP machine would push roughly 0.25 psi (if one were to do the conversions).

That's so funny. All this time I thought it was psi. Another thing I learned. I never put my hand over the hose end for thought of hurting the CPAP machine or I guess i'd have spotted that. See reading here always has a gem of info almost every dayThanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been paying attention. Resmed s9 autoset! Here's my current dilemma. So my next appointment with vital aire isn't until April 10th... So I'm still on the loaner. The idea of sleeping on a pressure of 8 when the doctor told me at some points I needed a 16 seems awful. I'm still fairly low energy. What would you do in my situation?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2014, 05:57 PM)Thefabulousmrsk Wrote: I've been paying attention. Resmed s9 autoset! Here's my current dilemma. So my next appointment with vital aire isn't until April 10th... So I'm still on the loaner. The idea of sleeping on a pressure of 8 when the doctor told me at some points I needed a 16 seems awful. I'm still fairly low energy. What would you do in my situation?

If the loaner is an APAP, and presumably your doctor is prescribing APAP 8-16, then set your loaner to the (new) prescribed pressure. If your loaner is a CPAP, then technically, since your new prescription maxes at 16 -- you can set it up to that level as well (or anything in between 8-16 if you like).

I never had a loaner machine, just went weeks without a machine in between the sleep studies / doctor visits, even after it was obvious I needed CPAP (repeat studies to try to find an ideal pressure).

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2014, 06:07 PM)c0reDump Wrote:
(04-02-2014, 05:57 PM)Thefabulousmrsk Wrote: I've been paying attention. Resmed s9 autoset! Here's my current dilemma. So my next appointment with vital aire isn't until April 10th... So I'm still on the loaner. The idea of sleeping on a pressure of 8 when the doctor told me at some points I needed a 16 seems awful. I'm still fairly low energy. What would you do in my situation?

If the loaner is an APAP, and presumably your doctor is prescribing APAP 8-16, then set your loaner to the (new) prescribed pressure. If your loaner is a CPAP, then technically, since your new prescription maxes at 16 -- you can set it up to that level as well (or anything in between 8-16 if you like).

I never had a loaner machine, just went weeks without a machine in between the sleep studies / doctor visits, even after it was obvious I needed CPAP (repeat studies to try to find an ideal pressure).

Yeah thankfully the loaner is an autoset 2 so it can do apap. I'm kinda leaning to setting it as per the script. I'm finding as it is now I barely have enough energy to get through the day, and I've got a lot of things between now and my visit to purchase! Would prefer not to be exhausted if I don't have to be.

I'm really thankful to have the loaner. I got it the day I was diagnosed and it's helped a lot. I've improved so much on cpap and I'm hoping the apap will help me improve even more.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also remember that the benefits may not be immediate, some take time.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 15 255 1 minute ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 269 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 467 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,775 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First-time CPAP Machine Advice (Newly Diagnosed OSA) Franko39 2 392 11-15-2023, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Newly diagnosed. prettybadapnea 2 359 11-07-2023, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  p123 - Therapy Thread - Just diagnosed p123 58 2,609 11-07-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.