Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i-Unused
CPAP Pressure: 12.5
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
RE: Newly diagnosed and overwhelmed
(04-02-2014 08:47 AM)c0reDump Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 08:10 AM)GreyParrot Wrote:  The pressurized air never bothered me even when I was at 14psi. Now at 12.5. Masks leaks were my big problem.

Just wanted to correct this -- 14psi is enough to burst a basketball Smile
CPAP pressures are measured in centimeters of water (cmH2O):

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=CmH2O

A maxed out CPAP machine would push roughly 0.25 psi (if one were to do the conversions).

That's so funny. All this time I thought it was psi. Another thing I learned. I never put my hand over the hose end for thought of hurting the CPAP machine or I guess i'd have spotted that. See reading here always has a gem of info almost every dayThanks
04-02-2014 09:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Thefabulousmrsk Offline

Members

Machine: none
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: None
Humidifier: None
CPAP Pressure: None
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

I've been paying attention. Resmed s9 autoset! Here's my current dilemma. So my next appointment with vital aire isn't until April 10th... So I'm still on the loaner. The idea of sleeping on a pressure of 8 when the doctor told me at some points I needed a 16 seems awful. I'm still fairly low energy. What would you do in my situation?
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2014 06:01 PM by Thefabulousmrsk.)
04-02-2014 05:57 PM
c0reDump Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Quattro Air
Humidifier: H5i (distilled)
CPAP Pressure: APAP 9-17cmH2O
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(04-02-2014 05:57 PM)Thefabulousmrsk Wrote:  I've been paying attention. Resmed s9 autoset! Here's my current dilemma. So my next appointment with vital aire isn't until April 10th... So I'm still on the loaner. The idea of sleeping on a pressure of 8 when the doctor told me at some points I needed a 16 seems awful. I'm still fairly low energy. What would you do in my situation?

If the loaner is an APAP, and presumably your doctor is prescribing APAP 8-16, then set your loaner to the (new) prescribed pressure. If your loaner is a CPAP, then technically, since your new prescription maxes at 16 -- you can set it up to that level as well (or anything in between 8-16 if you like).

I never had a loaner machine, just went weeks without a machine in between the sleep studies / doctor visits, even after it was obvious I needed CPAP (repeat studies to try to find an ideal pressure).
04-02-2014 06:07 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Thefabulousmrsk Offline

Members

Machine: none
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: None
Humidifier: None
CPAP Pressure: None
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

(04-02-2014 06:07 PM)c0reDump Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 05:57 PM)Thefabulousmrsk Wrote:  I've been paying attention. Resmed s9 autoset! Here's my current dilemma. So my next appointment with vital aire isn't until April 10th... So I'm still on the loaner. The idea of sleeping on a pressure of 8 when the doctor told me at some points I needed a 16 seems awful. I'm still fairly low energy. What would you do in my situation?

If the loaner is an APAP, and presumably your doctor is prescribing APAP 8-16, then set your loaner to the (new) prescribed pressure. If your loaner is a CPAP, then technically, since your new prescription maxes at 16 -- you can set it up to that level as well (or anything in between 8-16 if you like).

I never had a loaner machine, just went weeks without a machine in between the sleep studies / doctor visits, even after it was obvious I needed CPAP (repeat studies to try to find an ideal pressure).

Yeah thankfully the loaner is an autoset 2 so it can do apap. I'm kinda leaning to setting it as per the script. I'm finding as it is now I barely have enough energy to get through the day, and I've got a lot of things between now and my visit to purchase! Would prefer not to be exhausted if I don't have to be.

I'm really thankful to have the loaner. I got it the day I was diagnosed and it's helped a lot. I've improved so much on cpap and I'm hoping the apap will help me improve even more.
04-02-2014 10:45 PM
ThatOtherGuy Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: RESMED S9 Autoset on APAP mode
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Phillips Amara + chinstrap
Humidifier: RESMED S9
CPAP Pressure: 5 to 17
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Also remember that the benefits may not be immediate, some take time.
04-03-2014 12:59 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Ordered a Auto CPAP / Was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea jakthebomb 15 802 10-18-2016 08:00 AM
Last Post: southerndoc
  was diagnosed with apnea 10 years ago.... last sleep study came back negative LB1982 13 1,077 10-08-2016 07:34 PM
Last Post: lab rat
  newly diagnosed-resmed question mummadee 3 337 09-18-2016 06:48 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  Complete Newbie... Kind of Overwhelmed marilynmalloy 8 485 09-15-2016 11:27 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
  Just Diagnosed - Starting Treatment SleepySleeps 30 1,205 09-12-2016 03:14 PM
Last Post: SleepySleeps
  [Diagnosis] Just Diagnosed, getting my CPAP next week bernerbits 21 966 09-09-2016 07:05 PM
Last Post: Maskup Sleepwell
  Just diagnosed Skittles3350 7 322 08-29-2016 10:22 PM
Last Post: Skittles3350