Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newly diagnosed questions
Newly diagnosed questions
Hello! Just joined and looking for information..I mean I'm not even sure where to start.
I'm supposed to get a call within a week to get a bipap delivered to me.
It says that I'm recommended a
BIPAP 23/19 cwp with Bi flex 3 and heated humidification

I cant' really find out what I should look for about machines to consider when they call so any and all help would be appreciated. (I don't even know what that cwp means in that recommendation haha)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newly diagnosed questions
G'day KibaOokami. Welcome to Apnea Board.

A good place to start is in the Apnea Board Wiki, which will give you lots of information: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki

See also the helpful tips to ensure success:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...re_success

To answer some of your initial questions:

xPAP pressure is measured in centimetres of water. 23/19 cwp means an inhale pressure (IPAP) of 23 cm H20 and an exhale pressure (EPAP) of 19 cm H2O. To imagine the amount of pressure involved, fill a tall glass or jug with water, insert a straw 19 to 23 cm (about 7.5 to 9 inches) and blow bubbles. That's the pressure you'll be working with. It's not enough to blow up a balloon, but it is enough to splint your airway open to stop it collapsing. There is an excellent animation called Understanding Sleep Disordered Breathing on the first page of the wiki which shows exactly what happens during sleep apnea.

That prescribed pressure is a bit higher than we normally see, which makes me wonder if you have simple apnea or whether there are other breathing issues in play, such as asthma, COPD etc?  Do you have a copy of your sleep study report? (If not, you should obtain it and a copy of your prescription for your ongoing records). If you wish to share that with us it can help us give you any specific advice you might want.

Regarding the type of machine: The two main players are Resmed and Philips Respironics. Each of them make a range of bilevel machines, aimed at differing breathing conditions. The Resmed bilevels are called Aircurve in the US and the Philips will have the word BiPap in the name. Philips and Resmed are both good brands, and it's a bit of a Ford / Chevy thing as to which one you prefer. Having said that, some individual Philips machines have features not found on their Resmed equivalents, and vice versa. In particular, the Resmed Aircurve ASV is generally regarded (by us here on the forum) as distinctly superior to the Philips equivalent.  As you which particular machine you get, that will depend on whether or not your have plain obstructive apnea or central apnea (or mixed) and whether there are other factors such as COPD or other medical conditions.

I know that's a bit of a mish-mash of information, but if you can give us a better idea of your situation, then we can provide some more specific information for you.

One other thing to mention is that the mask will be the hardest thing to get right. Everybody's face is different and there are dozens of different mask makes and models out there. You need to find one which is comfortable, fits properly and doesn't leak. Ensure your provider allows you to try on several different types and has a return policy - what feels OK in the office may not be OK in bed at night.

Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
At the top of this board there is a important links section. Go there and click on the New to Apnea link and also check out the link Machine choices.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-M...oard-Forum

Welcome to the Apnea Board there's a lot of people here that will help you just like DeepBreathing. Just ask.

Welcome
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
DeepBreathing covered your question very well, I will second his thoughts on the Resmed. I wouldn't trade mine for anything. I use the Aircurve 10 VAuto, if you are prescribed the standard bi-pap certainly go for the Auto. Its like driving a Bentley, set it and monitor with Sleepyhead, after the initial adjustment haven't touched in a year !! Sleepyhead is a must if you want to benefit from your therapy, you can download from the top of the page. Good Luck and keep asking questions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thankeya! It is a mish-mash but it's no issue. Sorry it was late at night so I didn't get a chance to upload the report. Here you go! There are JPG copies and the PDF
Oor..I can't give the link to them on the forum because I'm still new, what should I do to give them, PM?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2017, 08:21 AM)silversnore Wrote: DeepBreathing covered your question very well, I will second his thoughts on the Resmed.  I wouldn't trade mine for anything.  I use the Aircurve 10 VAuto, if you are prescribed the standard bi-pap certainly go for the Auto.  Its like driving a Bentley, set it and monitor with Sleepyhead, after the initial adjustment haven't touched in a year !!  Sleepyhead is a must if you want to benefit from your therapy, you can download from the top of the page.  Good Luck and keep asking questions.

I wasn't given the prescription because seemingly he had it in his hands but not filled out. He was going to send it off at close with all his other paperwork and I was told I'd get a call within a week to help me get my machine ordered basically.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2017, 02:25 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: G'day KibaOokami. Welcome to Apnea Board.

A good place to start is in the Apnea Board Wiki, which will give you lots of information: ht tp://www.apneaboard.com/wiki

See also the helpful tips to ensure success:  htt p://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=New_to_Apnea%3F_Helpful_tips_to_ensure_success

To answer some of your initial questions:

xPAP pressure is measured in centimetres of water. 23/19 cwp means an inhale pressure (IPAP) of 23 cm H20 and an exhale pressure (EPAP) of 19 cm H2O. To imagine the amount of pressure involved, fill a tall glass or jug with water, insert a straw 19 to 23 cm (about 7.5 to 9 inches) and blow bubbles. That's the pressure you'll be working with. It's not enough to blow up a balloon, but it is enough to splint your airway open to stop it collapsing. There is an excellent animation called Understanding Sleep Disordered Breathing on the first page of the wiki which shows exactly what happens during sleep apnea.

That prescribed pressure is a bit higher than we normally see, which makes me wonder if you have simple apnea or whether there are other breathing issues in play, such as asthma, COPD etc?  Do you have a copy of your sleep study report? (If not, you should obtain it and a copy of your prescription for your ongoing records). If you wish to share that with us it can help us give you any specific advice you might want.

Regarding the type of machine: The two main players are Resmed and Philips Respironics. Each of them make a range of bilevel machines, aimed at differing breathing conditions. The Resmed bilevels are called Aircurve in the US and the Philips will have the word BiPap in the name. Philips and Resmed are both good brands, and it's a bit of a Ford / Chevy thing as to which one you prefer. Having said that, some individual Philips machines have features not found on their Resmed equivalents, and vice versa. In particular, the Resmed Aircurve ASV is generally regarded (by us here on the forum) as distinctly superior to the Philips equivalent.  As you which particular machine you get, that will depend on whether or not your have plain obstructive apnea or central apnea (or mixed) and whether there are other factors such as COPD or other medical conditions.

I know that's a bit of a mish-mash of information, but if you can give us a better idea of your situation, then we can provide some more specific information for you.

One other thing to mention is that the mask will be the hardest thing to get right. Everybody's face is different and there are dozens of different mask makes and models out there. You need to find one which is comfortable, fits properly and doesn't leak. Ensure your provider allows you to try on several different types and has a return policy - what feels OK in the office may not be OK in bed at night.

Hope this helps.
https://imgur.com/a/a4x4q is the study. Sorry I had to put a space in it! Let me know if this helps
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, the good news is that there are no central apneas, in fact no apneas of any type, it's all hypopnea. Looking at the titration summary it seems that you could get away with lower pressures in the non-REM sleep stages but do require the 23/19 during REM sleep. For this reason I'd be inclined to push for an auto machine such as the Resmed Aircurve 10 VAuto. This machine allows your pressure to vary within predefined limits to treat precursor events and hence head off apneas and hypopneas. So you should be able to sleep at a more comfortable lower pressure most of the night, with the machine pushing pressure up to the prescribed level during REM sleep. (Note that it doesn't actually detect your sleep stages but reacts to apneas & hypopneas and precursor events like flow limitation and snoring).

The equivalent Philips machine is the DreamStation Auto BiPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi KibaOokami,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you start your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2017, 08:24 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: OK, the good news is that there are no central apneas, in fact no apneas of any type, it's all hypopnea. Looking at the titration summary it seems that you could get away with lower pressures in the non-REM sleep stages but do require the 23/19 during REM sleep. For this reason I'd be inclined to push for an auto machine such as the Resmed Aircurve 10 VAuto. This machine allows your pressure to vary within predefined limits to treat precursor events and hence head off apneas and hypopneas. So you should be able to sleep at a more comfortable lower pressure most of the night, with the machine pushing pressure up to the prescribed level during REM sleep.  (Note that it doesn't actually detect your sleep stages but reacts to apneas & hypopneas and precursor events like flow limitation and snoring).

The equivalent Philips machine is the DreamStation Auto BiPAP.

Thankeya! at least thats a good thing..now to wait on the call from the insurance company and see whats up haha!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 15 263 4 hours ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Juniper's questions juniper 5 78 4 hours ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 270 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 230 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 298 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 441 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 467 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.