Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newly diagnosed questions
RE: Newly diagnosed questions
I got the report from my doctor and it said:

Total of 1 obstructive apneas, 9 hypopnoa, 11 central apneas and 0 mixed apneas for a total of 21 technician-scored events resulting in an overall apnea-hypopnea index of 7.3 events per hour.  The patient had 0 minutes of REM sleep therefore comment cannot be made about disordered breathing events in this stage of sleep. 

Arterial oxyhemaglobin saturation was less than 88% for .1 minutes with nadir SPO2 of 88% in non REM sleep.

Impression: Obstructive sleep apnea, mild.

There is some other information if you're looking for anything else specifically just ask but it won't let me attach the image because it is too large. 

I did not snore so from what I've read a hypopnea without snoring is usually considered central.

Central apnea would fit more with my profile(young female, neck circumference 13.4", no snoring) and central apnea would fit more with my other medical conditions( Intercranial hypertension, dysautonomia, cranial cervical instability plus more..all secondary to Ehlers Danlos Syndrome) so I'm confused why the impression said obstructive sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-04-2019, 02:31 PM)Nautica Wrote: I got the report from my doctor and it said:

Total of 1 obstructive apneas, 9 hypopnoa, 11 central apneas and 0 mixed apneas for a total of 21 technician-scored events resulting in an overall apnea-hypopnea index of 7.3 events per hour.  The patient had 0 minutes of REM sleep therefore comment cannot be made about disordered breathing events in this stage of sleep. 

Arterial oxyhemaglobin saturation was less than 88% for .1 minutes with nadir SPO2 of 88% in non REM sleep.

Impression: Obstructive sleep apnea, mild.

There is some other information if you're looking for anything else specifically just ask but it won't let me attach the image because it is too large. 

I did not snore so from what I've read a hypopnea without snoring is usually considered central.

Central apnea would fit more with my profile(young female, neck circumference 13.4", no snoring) and central apnea would fit more with my other medical conditions( Intercranial hypertension, dysautonomia, cranial cervical instability plus more..all secondary to Ehlers Danlos Syndrome) so I'm confused why the impression said obstructive sleep apnea.
I think it was because sleep studies almost always state Obstructive Apnea no matter what the results, this is why we like to see the full sleep study, the summaries are very often "misleading" at best.  You have over 50% Central Apnea pre-treatment.  It could be more but sleep labs typically do not score hypopneas as central.  IMHO a better diagnosis would have been Mild Mixed Apnea, Mild Central apnea, or better,  Mild Obstructive Apnea with over 50% Central Apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe I’m not phrasing this correctly but it seems lots of pulmonary doctors knee jerk reaction to Apnea is to call it obstructive and not dive into the details. Your report text mentions obstructive as a 1, central as a 11. Yeah that’s obstructive...on the duck doctors part...

As for image attachment size, edit the current image size downward to a lower percentage and see if it’ll fit.

PS it may not be necessary to include it, but if it can be possible to post the details maybe it helps.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
+1 to a hose cover. You didn't mention whether or not you have a hose hanger. When I first started SA therapy, I didn't use a hose hanger or holder, whatever you prefer to call them. I went for a few months w/o one. 

Once I started using one, it made a HUGE difference in hose management. As far as I know, I've never experienced water in the hose, or rain out as some call it. 

I tend to drool a bit when I sleep ( Oh-jeez ), and I'm a die hard mouth-breather. That's the only moisture I have to deal with, and for whatever reason, it's not as bad as it used to be. 

Anyways, give a hose hanger some thought. They are readily available on the net. I'm a bit of a fabricator so I made my own.  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
I asked for the medical record from my sleep study and that's all they gave me, it only had a few other details.. Like how long it took me to fall asleep and how many arousals I had...it was a one and a half page write up.  Should there be a chart or more information with it? If so I'll call my doctor again to get everything...if so what exactly should I ask for?

I see that I still didn't get the oscar correct, I'm sorry I'll try again tomorrow.

I will look into getting a hanger for the tube too, thank you all for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
Detailed sleep study reports are typically several one-sided pages long, have doctor opinions about the sleep study, can have charts, and the pressure tried with apnea results.

See my post on myself here: Focus on page 4 at post # 37 for an example of detailed sleep study report

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...put?page=4
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Uncharacteristically that summary had the info (centrals) that I was looking for. Normally we would be extracting that info out of the tables that are not there. Try asking the DME for the study, they have to have it for insurance verification.
of my suggestions, I like the "Mild Obstructive Apnea with over 50% Central Apnea" that I suggested above.
Post Reply Post Reply
The diagnosis darts only stick onto the diagnosis dartboard where it’s labeled Obstructive Sleep Apnea no matter what the PSG sleep study states.

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Your report has a lot of details, what I received was just the final page of what your report has. I'm going to call and get a copy of the full report tomorrow! 

That's strange that drs just label everything obstructive but at least now I know it is mostly central apnea, thanks for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
I
(08-04-2019, 07:57 PM)Nautica Wrote: Your report has a lot of details, what I received was just the final page of what your report has. I'm going to call and get a copy of the full report tomorrow! 

That's strange that drs just label everything obstructive but at least now I know it is mostly central apnea, thanks for your help!

You’re welcome. Always here to help. No attempt on beating the dead horse, but your full, detailed PSG (otherwise known as sleep study) is lawfully yours for the asking. Hopefully you’ll get it with no headache.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diagnosed with UARS just got CPAP with mask need help setting it up nicchamilton 2 54 51 minutes ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  EPR questions juniper 7 287 04-19-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 407 04-18-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Matsu1
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 209 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 25 769 04-09-2024, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Schernenk
Question [Equipment] Airsense 11 Questions tblaster 2 173 04-02-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: tblaster
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 262 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.