Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newly diagnosed questions
Newly diagnosed questions
Hello, I was diagnosed with mild obstructive sleep apnea and just started my first night with my auto pap machine last night. From what I see on here and my sleep study report it seems like I have central apnea. I had 7+ episodes per hour of central apnea and hypopnea during my sleep study at the lab, no snoring, no rem sleep. I only had 1 obstructive event the whole night of the study but the report said it was positive for mild obstructive sleep apnea so I'm confused and my follow up to go over my results isn't until September. 

My main concern is that my first night didn't go well, I kept waking up all night when the pressure increased above 6 and had a bad migraine/sinus and ear pressure all day. 

Is this normal and my body will adjust or should I contact the sleep lab? 

If it is central apnea will this machine work? From last nights results it does look like I had less events but it could be because I was awake a lot.

I read that with obstructive sleep apnea it's normal to have less than 5 events per hour and that number is not even treated, is it different with central apnea? 

Sorry for so many questions and thank you for any help or advise!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newly diagnosed questions
Hi Nautica! As a fellow newbie, i'd like to welcome you to the forum! The people in this forum are really great and supportive.

However, they can't help if they can't see your OSCAR data clearly. To ensure that, please read the link below:

How to Organize your OSCAR Chart
hearsay73
Hosehead padawan 
Repaying my sleep debt, 1 night at a time...
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2019, 06:20 PM)Nautica Wrote: Hello, I was diagnosed with mild obstructive sleep apnea and just started my first night with my auto pap machine last night. From what I see on here and my sleep study report it seems like I have central apnea. I had 7+ episodes per hour of central apnea and hypopnea during my sleep study at the lab, no snoring, no rem sleep. I only had 1 obstructive event the whole night of the study but the report said it was positive for mild obstructive sleep apnea so I'm confused and my follow up to go over my results isn't until September. 
[quote pid='305323' dateline='1564788059']

My main concern is that my first night didn't go well, I kept waking up all night when the pressure increased above 6 and had a bad migraine/sinus and ear pressure all day. 

It's normal for new users to have trouble adjusting to the pressure. The migraine may have been due to lack of sleep.  I doubt the sleep lab will be much help.

If it is central apnea will this machine work? From last nights results it does look like I had le ss events but it could be because I was awake a lot.

If you have significant central apnea your machine will not treat it. How many CA per hr did you have in your sleep study? If the 7+ events per hr were mostly hypopnea your machine should be effective. The OSCAR report says the machine was on for eight hours. I assume you were awake much of that time with the mask on. If so, the data isn't meaningful since our breathing is more irregular when awake then when asleep.

I read that with obstructive sleep apnea it's normal to have less than 5 events per hour and that number is not even treated, is it different with central apnea?

We welcome questions. See my responses above.

We need more data to asses what's happening, Please post a screenshot of your complete OSCAR daily page formatted and organized as described in the link below. Also please post your sleep study if you have it; the complete study, not just the summary. If you don't have it at least give us the breakdown of events per hr for centrals, obstructives, and hypopnea separately.  Lumping them together is not meaningful.

[/quote]
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2019, 06:20 PM)Nautica Wrote: Hello, I was diagnosed with mild obstructive sleep apnea and just started my first night with my auto pap machine last night. From what I see on here and my sleep study report it seems like I have central apnea. I had 7+ episodes per hour of central apnea and hypopnea during my sleep study at the lab, no snoring, no rem sleep. I only had 1 obstructive event the whole night of the study but the report said it was positive for mild obstructive sleep apnea so I'm confused and my follow up to go over my results isn't until September. 

If it is central apnea will this machine work? From last nights results it does look like I had less events but it could be because I was awake a lot.

Sorry for so many questions and thank you for any help or advise!

Hi Nautical,

Welcome to the Apnea Board. Don’t be sorry for questions. Others sharper than myself will post soon enough, but here’s something to get started. Agreed on getting OSCAR and using it to post charts.

Some “growing pains” at the beginning of Apnea treatment can be considered normal, such as fluctuations in obstructive and central apnea counts. Headaches need to be assessed by yourself as whether they’re similar to ones you’ve had in the past.

Note your sleep study info indicates you might have central apnea to deal with later, but for now let’s see how they respond to continued therapy. Some central apnea can emerge from the therapy, and this typically reduces and possibly disappears in the near future. If it doesn’t reduce soon, or if it trends worse and includes severe fatigue, then we cross the bridge to exploration of a different machine.

As for the Apnea count of 5, my belief is that both central and obstructive need to be under 5 to count the treatment as successful. In fact it’s not medically treated unless overall AHI is 5 or less.

Some homework: get OSCAR to post charts, get operator manual for your exact CPAP machine, read mask primer, keep posting questions and updates. All 3 can be had in links at top banner

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Nautica and welcome to the forum where you will receive help and support and yes, go ahead and re-post your data as suggested. If you did not receive a copy of your detailed sleep study report go ahead and request that now. You are entitled to it and the sooner the better. That should go into your permanent records as well as a copy of the doctors Rx for your machine. I wish you well in your sleep apnea journey. Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone for your replies, I'll use the machine again tonight and read the Oscar directions to update this post with a better Oscar view tomorrow!
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like a good plan. Coffee to success
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I made some adjustments (turned off heater, turned up humidifier, turned off ramp up) and I slept much better last night without the feeling of pressure. I think the first night I felt bad from the hot dry air. The only problem I had last night was I had to keep taking the mask off and dumping the water out of it because the tube was filled with water and once in a while I would accidentally breath in a few water drops and choke also the noise of the water whistling in the nose pillows was waking me up. I did turn the humidity down one number but the humidity really helps so is there a way to keep the humidity without the tube filling with water?

Thank you for the tips on organizing the oscar. I organized it and will post the screenshots below.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not super good with charts yet but an AHI of 0.68 is very good. No leak issues that I remember. Better chart readers will have more to say than I.

The water in the tube: you get to ride the teeter totter of the heated tube and humidifier level settings. Adjust both until there's as little water in the tube as you can get AND your comfort is still intact. I'd add a bit of heat, try it, then maybe lower humidity a bit. A bit equals one setting notch to me. Adjust, observe, then adjust again until you've got intended results. Note also that these settings may need adjusted per season depending on your local weather and room environment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you using a heated hose? I had water condensation (we call it rain out) when I used the standard hose but since switching to the heated hose I have not seen it. You can also buy hose covers that insulate the hose and prevent or reduce rain out. I suspect your bedroom is cool and it's cooling of the hose that causes the condensation.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 20 281 5 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 142 8 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 50 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 265 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 379 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 289 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.