Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airsense 10 Leaks
RE: Airsense 10 Leaks
I don't see this mentioned explicitly so far. Are you, as Sleeprider said, filling the reservoir only to the "Max" line embossed on the plastic?

Also, about the reason for the replacement, it's not only cleanliness and mineral buildup; the gasket wears out and gets leaky eventually.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since the leaking began I have been filling to about 2/3 of max.

I now have a new reservoir.

Based on Sleepriders comments I did a test. First of all remember that I previously checked the reservoir for leaks by filling it and letting it sit. No leaks. Now, I put water in it and put my finger over one hole while blowing into the other. It leaks like crazy right out of the bottom where the metal heating plate meets the plastic.

Now we know. The reservoirs wear out and leak in time.

I will update tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
How long had these been in use before they began leaking? I have had my Airsense 10 for 22 months and have replaced the reservoir once, after approximately one year, when it developed a slight leak. I assumed it was at the joint between the plastic and metal base.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2018, 01:09 PM)Zeeez Wrote: Since the leaking began I have been filling to about 2/3 of max.

I now have a new reservoir.

Based on Sleepriders comments I did a test. First of all remember that I previously checked the reservoir for leaks by filling it and letting it sit. No leaks. Now, I put water in it and put my finger over one hole while blowing into the other. It leaks like crazy right out of the bottom where the metal heating plate meets the plastic.

Now we know. The reservoirs wear out and leak in time.

I will update tomorrow.

I did the same test today and got no leaks.  It's pretty easy apply pressure to the reservoir, but I had not thought of it until today.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had 3 reservoirs in about 2.5 years. The two I still had were leaking. I think that's part of what threw me off, thinking at least one had to be good. Periodically I use vinegar to dissolve calk build up on the warm plate. Perhaps that has a negative effect on the sealant. I have two new ones now. On the pressure test the leak was substantial.

Should have some answers in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2018, 03:39 PM)Zeeez Wrote: I've had 3 reservoirs in about 2.5 years. The two I still had were leaking. I think that's part of what threw me off, thinking at least one had to be good. Periodically I use vinegar to dissolve calk build up on the warm plate. Perhaps that has a negative effect on the sealant. I have two new ones now. On the pressure test the leak was substantial.

Should have some answers in the morning.

If you getting that much buildup, then you may do better by using distilled water. It makes cleanup and maintenance much easier. With distilled water, you can cut back on the vinegar. It doesn’t hurt, but shouldn’t be overdone. Also, don’t let the water sit in your water chamber, get rid of it daily.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's it. Case closed.

If your Resmed AirSense 10 leaks then you need to pressure test the reservoir. Too bad the bottom half of the reservoir isn't made of a single piece of stamped metal for longevity.

Thanks for the help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well there's more.

If you look closely at your AirSense 10 reservoir the bottom half is composed of three pieces.

1, The sides which is the main body of the bottom half.
2, The metal heat exchanger plate.
3, The plastic bottom plate.

The actual waterproof seal is between the side part and the heat exchange plate. The bottom plastic plate is there for rigidity and if you look closely at it there is a drain hole and no sealant where the heat exchanger plate is exposed. If you see any moisture between the plastic bottom plate ant the metal heat exchange then your reservoir has already failed and it will only get worse. Now, take a close look at the seal between the heat exchanger ant the side body. In mine, there are minor inconsistencies in the sealant and there are small gaps evident. You have to look pretty close.

Conclusion;
It's a good idea to look at your reservoir. If you see any moisture below the heat exchanger then you can expect problems.

Z

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 614 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 138 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 160 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 107 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 497 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.