Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newly diagnosed: surgical option?
Newly diagnosed: surgical option?
I was just diagnosed with apnea (AHI=66) and of course prescribed a CPAP(which just arrived and am trying for the first time tonight) and I will give it a fair try. 

But...I was told I had apnea due to jaw structure so went to an Ear/Nose/Throat Dr to get his take on the situation.  He says that an oral surgeon has an operation (I think an MMA?) which he claims will be 95% effective (read: AHI <20).  I'm seeing an oral surgeon in early May for a consultation.  

I am wondering if what the ENT said is true.  I thought I read online that MMA jaw surgury I said not very effective for people with severe apnea.  And I am aware that when you ask a hammer what to do it says your problem is a nail.  

Does anyone with sever apnea have experience with jaw surgury?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newly diagnosed: surgical option?
Please give your cpap time to work.

Post Reply Post Reply
I intend to. But as a stomach sleeper and a traveler, the idea (*if true*) that one surgery and done could improve the severe apnea to mild or near none is attractive.

But I will give the PAP machine a go.

Thx
Post Reply Post Reply
Note: per your original post " (read: AHI <20)."

We consider that to be not adequately treated, if that is so you would still require CPAP post surgery.
Post Reply Post Reply
An AHI <5 is considered fully treated. As bonjour stated above, you would still need CPAP therapy after the surgery.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
MMA has almost never replaced CPAP in individuals diagnosed with severe obstructive apnea like you. The claim of 95% success at AHI <20 is terrible. When someone shows up here with a CPAP treated AHI anywhere near 20 it is alarming. That would not remove the need for CPAP and could have significant complications, pain and jaw dysfunction. I think you will find CPAP can be effective, unobtrusive and easy to live and travel with. At least you have good equipment to give it a go. Good luck!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Would seem based on the stated "success" rate that the best you could possibly get is an easier apnea to treat, while the good Dr. get a new car. Choice is yours.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thx bonjour, pup, sleeprider; that speaks to my experience that a surgeon suggests surgury. I dont need permanent complications AND still need a CPAP. Might as well just stay CPAP. When I meet the oral surgeon I will press the issue of what "effective" means to him and what complications there are and since he claims hundreds of these surgeries I'd like to know what % of them still utilize a CPAP. Thx all.
Post Reply Post Reply
Likely none of them because he did not rx that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ap66 and welcome to the forum. You have received a ton of good advice, do give the CPAP a fair try, not just a few days but for as much as a year or more while digging into this forum, learning, sharing your data etc. I'm thinking you will start getting some good results early on and you can build on that. Whatever you do remember that you can always opt later to have the surgery but you could never opt to un-have it Good luck and keep us posted as you progress. 

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 21 317 2 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 53 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 837 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 381 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 290 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 478 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,805 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.