Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newly diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Newly diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Hello!

I little bit of background, I am a 33yo male, active, 150lbs. short beard.... I have been told my entire life that I snore a lot and that sometimes I stop breading in the middle of the night. I finally decided to get a sleep study done, I did it twice, one to determine if I had Apnea and another one with a cpap machine. From what I remember from the study, my events were 19 and my oxygen saturation level dropped to 70ish% during that night.

Last week I received my Resmed AirSense AUTOSET 10, with a P&F Full Face mask as the nasal one does not work for me (mouth breather). I struggled with the mask for days (feeling air escaping on my nose and blowing my eyes, etc) so I asked them to send me a different size, issues persisted. I decided on my own to get a new mask, a ResMed AirFit 20n that feel way better and I dont notice any leaks.

However, I still see 16 events per night event with the new mask. The leak is 41l/m per the latest report and I have no idea how to fix that as I do not notice any leaks when I go to sleep. I actually do tests before I fall sleep and all indicates mask seal is good (I get a happy green face). But once I wake up my report is always bad. My machine is setup to a fixed 8 pressure, won't go above that. I am frustrated that I can't get the events down, I am not certain if it is a mask issue, a pressure issue, a combination of both etc. I called my doctor and he won't see me after a month, so I was told to continue trying or stop using it as I feel more tired than when I was not using cpap.

Please see attached reports for more information. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. It was costly me so much to get to this point and I don't want to give up. 

Some of the issues I see with the OSCAR software:
  • Large Leaks - Regardless of how good my seal is before sleeping, the report shows large leaks constantly, sometimes for 35mins)
  • Too many Clear Airways - Not sure what is this is.
  • too many AHI events, sometimes 16. 
Overall, I have not seen any improvement, to be honest I sleep better without it. 

LINK TO REPORT: (sorry I cant post links as I am a new user).
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newly diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea
I won’t speak for the central - there are a number of very knowledgeable people who will help with that

What I see is positional apnea. Positional apnea is when your chin drops down to your Sternum and cuts off your airway. There is nothing any machine can help this problem. You must find a way to stop getting into that position.

Back sleeping or high pillows can cause your chin dropping. You may be able to con trol that with easy changes. But if not many people have found that they will do great with a collar. Please look at the link below in my signature. It shows people without a collar and the same people with collars. Huge difference.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
By the way your leaks are NOT a problem. They are Momentarily large but not long so no problem.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi alva360,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

Do you have a copy of your sleep test?  If you do, please upload it here.  What we're looking for is if you had Clear Airway events during your test.  It's always a good idea to obtain of copy for your records.  Clear Airway events are when your airway is open, but you are making no effort to breathe.  

First, turn off the Ramp feature.  Every time you wake up, you are starting over with ramp at a low pressure.  

Second, what I see is "positional apnea."  See the clumps of OB (Obstructives) on your graph.  This happens when you tuck your chin to your chest and in turn cut off your air supply.  You may be rolling over on your back or using a pillow that is too tall, which in turn can tilt your head forward with the same affect.  You'll have to find a way to avoid this, or possibly start using a soft  cervical collar which help align your neck.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

The ClearAirway events need to be dealt with.  Try turning the EPR setting back to 1 and see if that helps.   There may be a chance you are not on the correct machine. An ASV machine may be needed to treat your Central Sleep Apnea.

Your leak rate is ok. Some of it is caused from movement or restless sleep.

So for now... ramp off and EPR set to 1.

I'm not sure why you are using a static pressure, but that can be changed later.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome and ditto.

Positional events, leaks aren't too bad on this chart.

I suggest for your sanity to abstain from the crazy PAP mask test. Grinning ghouls are void of info. They're basically wanna be cheerleaders and fail.

Centrals AKA CA need a bit of attention by avoidance. Kill off the Ramp and drop EPR to 1. Show us an OSCAR tomorrow minus calendar, it's blocking info. Tell us how you feel as well, regarding PAP therapy and sleeping. Basic grunt answers of I'm ok aren't going to help us, we'll need a bit more details.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your responses. I will follow the advice and turn ramp off and lower EPR to 1 (tried just a second and makes it a bit hard to exhale).

One question, I did (sorry) increased my pressure from 8 to 10 last night to see if I had any improvements. Should I go back to my prescribed 8 (i just dont want to make too many changes at the same time so we can find what the issue was. I will probably get in trouble with the Dr, but they are just ignoring my concerns at this point.

Is interesting that you point out positional sleep apnea, I do tend to open my mouth and lower my jaw when sleeping, Ill check more info about the cervical collar and chin straps (at this point I will be sleeping with so many things on me LOL)

I do not have the report, I will try to get a copy this week and share with you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a learning pointer, you can obtain your detailed diagnostic and if done the Titration report. Be specific, request the detailed reports. And if they refuse, tell them HIPAA law permits you to request and receive it. No isn't the acceptable answer. Just say HIPAA says... When can they be ready?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Those tidal volumes look mighty impressive.  In fact, I'd say they're too high.  Any comments?
Post Reply Post Reply
I see your point, Max at 1636 on the one I saw just now. Yes that could be a bit high.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello All,

Here's an updated report on last night with Pressure at 8 and EPR at 1. I did find a bit difficult to exhale on this setting and made me take my mask off a few times (see attached report). 

I don't feel as tired as I used to wake up even though I woke up through the night. I am pretty sure I could be better tho. Anyways, please take a look at the report and let me know what you see. I saw a decrease in OA, but increase of unclassified apnea and RE events.

I did buy the cervical collar but it was not very comfortable, I am trying to get a slim pillow too.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 22 397 11 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 247 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 60 03-27-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 356 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 294 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.