Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newly diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea
RE: Newly diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea
You're still experiencing positional apnea, which no amount of pressure or changes in that area will make a difference.  

Try to find a "soft" collar that is comfortable.  I'm not sure what you purchased, but measuring for the correct size is important.  Measure the circumference of your neck and add a couple inches for some movement.
Then check for height.  Measures bottom of chin to chest. If you have a short neck, you don't want a collar that is 4".  Alternatively, if you have a longer neck, you'll need a taller collar.  Check Amazon... there are many different options.
Some have had luck with a different style like the Caldera Releaf Neck Rest.

Your leak rate is too high to trust the readings.  When you see UA on your graph, that is usually due to high leaks where your machines algorithm can't figure out what type of apnea you are experiencing during that leak.

So it's important to fix leaking.  Which full face mask are you using?  Do you feel air leaking during the night?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2021, 07:56 AM)OpalRose Wrote: You're still experiencing positional apnea, which no amount of pressure or changes in that area will make a difference.  

Try to find a "soft" collar that is comfortable.  I'm not sure what you purchased, but measuring for the correct size is important.  Measure the circumference of your neck and add a couple inches for some movement.
Then check for height.  Measures bottom of chin to chest.  If you have a short neck, you don't want a collar that is 4".  Alternatively, if you have a longer neck, you'll need a taller collar.  Check Amazon... there are many different options.
Some have had luck with a different style like the Caldera Releaf Neck Rest.

Your leak rate is too high to trust the readings.  When you see UA on your graph, that is usually due to high leaks where your machines algorithm can't figure out what type of apnea you are experiencing during that leak.

So it's important to fix leaking.  Which full face mask are you using?  Do you feel air leaking during the night?

Hi!

I got the Future M3 collar and seems very adjustable. I will try it tonight.

Leaks... yes, so, i noticed that I am drooling more with cpap. I use an AirTouch F20 and when the saliva reaches the silicone/memory-foam it leaks ( this also happened with I had the AirFit F20 (only silicone, no memory foam) as well. It looks like this is the only reason my mask is leaking. I did buy the RemZzzz Liners as some people said this could help with air leaks but the night I tried it I had leaks all night  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
Good morning!

Here's an update: I felt the need to go back to EPR to 3 as it hard for me to exhale and also I feel my nose stuffed every time I go to bed and have to breathe thru my mouth (and weird feeling in my ears like if I am on an airplane).

I did try to use the cervical collar but I don't recall the exact time when I took it off (including the mask), having too much on me makes me feel like I am suffocating. The only good thing here is that I think I am figuring out how to keep a good seal, finally! Still high events.

Thank you all for the help!
Post Reply Post Reply
OK progress, leaks are controlled. You need something like this pretty much all the time. I should say closer to this leak number than the other.

Next time on OSCAR chart, move leak chart up to replace snore. Snore isn't useful but leak charts are.

Events: most events are Positional Apnea clusters. Solution is to get a collar you won't remove. Google Corflex Ultra Cervical Collar.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all!

I think I make progress one days and other go backwards lol. Am I the only one? So in term if how I feel, I a feeling better, more energized I think compared to when I started the therapy. I did notice the large and long leak around 5 am, but I adjusted mark and still didnt fix it (I use the one with foam and once that foam gets wet, it's over... so I took it off) Still trying t find a solution to this.

I was told I was snoring when I fell asleep (and I see the snore chart going up at 1:20am), is it normal? I thought people wouldn't snore when using CPAP.,

Last night I used a slim pillow and seems to help a little with positional apnea? I still see some clusters, but not as many as I had before.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also be aware that some of us (raises hand) can cause positional apnea by contorting ourselves into crazy positions trying to get the $#%!@ leaks to STFU! Sometimes I'm awake and aware of it going on, and so that's how I figured it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Something weird happened to me last night. I tried to use the cervical collar and I think because I am am mouth breather when sleeping, the collar didnt allow me to do that (closed my mouth), and I was only breathing thru my nose. At 2 am I woke up gasping for air ant took the mask and collar off, was a super weird feeling, like I didnt feel I was getting enough air from the machine.

I would scratch this report off, but for the records here is the 1-2 hour sleep in OSCAR...
Post Reply Post Reply
To Alva360 - a word about leaks. If you look at the colored stripes on the left hand side of an OCSAR page, you will see a grey stripe titled Large Leak. Some of your days have had 0.2-0.3%, meaning the large leaks existed only 0.2-0.3% of the time you were on the machine, meaning you did NOT have large leaks during 99.7-99.8% of the night. Those numbers are not worth worrying about, as the experts here have noticed.
In other cases, things were different. There was one night when large leaks happened >29% of the night. That's a whole different situation.

As I understand it, 20% means the leaks "potentially" had a significant negative effect on your therapy and 30% means the leaks "certainly" had a significant adverse effect.

On the ResMed machine, the machine can compensate for leaks up to 24LPM and "large leaks" are greater than 24. When leaks exceed 24, the machine can't assuredly compensate.

The experts will correct me if in error. I just wanted to put the leaks in context.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2021, 07:08 PM)clownbell Wrote: To Alva360 - a word about leaks. If you look at the colored stripes on the left hand side of an OCSAR page, you will see a grey stripe titled Large Leak. Some of your days have had 0.2-0.3%, meaning the large leaks existed only 0.2-0.3% of the time you were on the machine, meaning you did NOT have large leaks during 99.7-99.8% of the night. Those numbers are not worth worrying about, as the experts here have noticed.
In other cases, things were different. There was one night when large leaks happened >29% of the night. That's a whole different situation.

As I understand it, 20% means the leaks "potentially" had a significant negative effect on your therapy and 30% means the leaks "certainly" had a significant adverse effect.

On the ResMed machine, the machine can compensate for leaks up to 24LPM and "large leaks" are greater than 24. When leaks exceed 24, the machine can't assuredly compensate.

The experts will correct me if in error. I just wanted to put the leaks in context.

Thank you, this is good to know! appreciate it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was able to obtain copies of my two studies performed in a lab. This first one was done without any CPAP machine, only to gather the data: I do not see as many clear events as I see in my cpap machine report...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 22 398 Yesterday, 02:51 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 248 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 60 03-27-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 356 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 294 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.