Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newly diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea
RE: Newly diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Here's the second report this time with a CPAP machine and I see there was improvements, seems like the cpap I have doesnt do the right work?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
From what I can see, your sleep report doesn't show too many Clear Airway events.  What your experiencing now may be treatment emergent and may settle down over time.  

I think you may do better by turning the EPR setting down to 1 and see if that helps with the clear airways.

I'm also not sure why you are on a straight pressure of 8cm.  You may do better with the Auto mode, but let's try a night with EPR 1 first.

Your leak rate looks ok. Also, be sure your collar isn't too tight.

Be aware that you are only showing us a little over 1 hour of sleep, which makes it really hard to advise.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2021, 02:23 PM)OpalRose Wrote: From what I can see, your sleep report doesn't show too many Clear Airway events.  What your experiencing now may be treatment emergent and may settle down over time.  

I think you may do better by turning the EPR setting down to 1 and see if that helps with the clear airways.

I'm also not sure why you are on a straight pressure of 8cm.  You may do better with the Auto mode, but let's try a night with EPR 1 first.

Your leak rate looks ok.  Also, be sure your collar isn't too tight.  

Be aware that you are only showing us a little over 1 hour of sleep, which makes it really hard to advise.

Yes, I did get 5 hours of sleep with the machine on, but I forgot to insert the card (sigh). Will try tonight and report tomorrow morning. Another thing is that in the study I did have a big pillow and they did not record any positional apnea, or maybe they filtered those out?
Post Reply Post Reply
OK I am now frustrated and thinking about stoping therapy until I see my doctor at the end of month. I am concerned that prior CPAP I used to have 19 events, during study with CPAP I got down to 1.5 events, and with CPAP at home I am doing 25+ events every time I use it. could it be that it's a faulty machine?

First session was a nap of an hour and 10 mins that I took around 4:40pm, and here there as something new in the charts... something called "Cheyne Stoke Respiration" for 27 minutes. This was with EPR of 1 and Pressure of 8. I even snored for 30 minutes of my sleep (is this normal with cpap?)

Second session was trying to sleep, I think I did 2-3 hours and couldn't do more than that. I had to revert EPR to 3 as I was waking up constantly to get some air. Still many many many events.... It is as if the therapy is making me worse than when I didnt have cpap?

At this point I am going to stop using it and see what the dr says at the end of the month. Maybe I wasn't a good candidate for it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I think your machine is working as it should. You are still experiencing positional apnea and changing pressures will not overcome this.

The recommendation to change EPR to 1 was to see if it helped with Clear Airways. But it didn't make much of a difference.

Your sleep report suggests a possible return for bipap titration. Although you may fail at that too, as a BiPap won't treat Central Sleep Apnea.
This is usually an insurance game.... fail Cpap...fail BiPap, then they may consider an ASV, which is the only machine to treat CSA. This is where you may be headed. Talk to your doctor to see what he/she advises.

For now, I would work on the positional apnea by finding a comfortable collar, and trying to get more sleep than you are.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2021, 08:12 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I think your machine is working as it should.  You are still experiencing positional apnea and changing pressures will not overcome this.  

The recommendation to change EPR to 1 was to see if it helped with Clear Airways.  But it didn't make much of a difference.  

Your sleep report suggests a possible return for bipap titration.  Although you may fail at that too, as a BiPap won't treat Central Sleep Apnea.
This is usually an insurance game.... fail Cpap...fail BiPap, then they may consider an ASV, which is the only machine to treat CSA.  This is where you may be headed.  Talk to your doctor to see what he/she advises.  

For now, I would work on the positional apnea by finding a comfortable collar, and trying to get more sleep than you are.

I have a question regarding positional apnea, This didn't seem to happen during my sleep study of if it did happen, seems like it was resolved?
Post Reply Post Reply
I honestly don't know if positional apnea is looked at during a sleep study.
At least I've never heard anyone discuss it.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Positional apnea is reviewed during in-lab sleet tests (Type 1) and a few home sleep tests, the rare Type 2.
That said, what is look at is Prone, supine, and side sleeping. This is totally different than what we detect, the "chin tucking" form of positional apnea which I've never seen addressed on a sleep test. They see this as a need for very high pressures based on a gap of events they saw disappear coincidently as pressure raised. Ignoring the return with the next pressure raised.

That said, You are avoiding pressure increases by maintaining a "fixed" pressure. You started the night with an EPR=1 then at 02:30 ou changed EPR to EPR=3. Up to that point your Flow limits were extremely high, to the point when averaging in the post 02:30 values they came out very high.

In other words, what happened after 02:30 deserves a full night's look, after which a possible change in pressure.

Please post tonight's charts before addressing anything other than your chin tucking.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2021, 09:58 AM)Gideon Wrote: Positional apnea is reviewed during in-lab sleet tests (Type 1) and a few home sleep tests, the rare Type 2.
That said, what is look at is Prone, supine, and side sleeping.  This is totally different than what we detect, the "chin tucking" form of positional apnea which I've never seen addressed on a sleep test.  They see this as a need for very high pressures based on a gap of events they saw disappear coincidently as pressure raised.  Ignoring the return with the next pressure raised.

That said, You are avoiding pressure increases by maintaining a "fixed" pressure.  You started the night with an EPR=1 then at 02:30 ou changed EPR to EPR=3.  Up to that point your Flow limits were extremely high, to the point when averaging in the post 02:30 values they came out very high.

In other words, what happened after 02:30 deserves a full night's look, after which a possible change in pressure.

Please post tonight's charts before addressing anything other than your chin tucking.

Yes I just noticed the flow limits during that time when EPR was 1, I honestly woke up multiple times like if I needed air, and thats why I decided to go back to EPR3. So you saying I should post result with Fixed pressure of 8, EPR3 and cervical collar on?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes Please.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 22 397 11 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 247 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 60 03-27-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 356 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 294 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.