Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newly diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea
RE: Newly diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea
(10-06-2021, 12:19 PM)Gideon Wrote: Yes Please.

Hi Gideon,

Here's the report from last night when I had the cervical collar (Futuro from 3AM). I still see two big clusters of OA at the beginning of my sleep, then it seems to normalize after 2 am. The way I had the collar on, I can't imagine I was tucking my chin toward my chest.

Also, I wanted to point that in my sleep study no apnea was recorded at a time when my oxygen saturation was 80 or below. (see second attachment). Is that a flaw in the study?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
On the O2 saturation - I do mine quite often and I have these.  My pulmonologist said not to worry with a sharp drop and then coming back quickly - it was most likely that the probe lost contact with the finger for a few seconds not that the O2 leaves dropped significantly.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Where do you see "Flow Limitation" or short (<10 seconds) apneas or hypopneas on your sleep study? I see a hint of them in arousals at the bottom. These would show up in the detailed flow rate chart that is never provided, at least not in the detail necessary to discern these.

Post 3-minute zoomed views of your chart, not longer, and set the Y-axis on your Flow Rate to +/-70 so more detail will show. Let's see what is going on in those obstructive clusters.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are the 3 minute zoomed views of some OAs.

[attachment=36298]

[attachment=36297]
Post Reply Post Reply
That shows severely flow-limited breathing then a large recovery breath, as we would expect from kinking of your airway.

We need to get the kinks out. This collar is not working.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2021, 07:32 PM)Gideon Wrote: That shows severely flow-limited breathing then a large recovery breath, as we would expect from kinking of your airway.  

We need to get the kinks out.  This collar is not working.

Hello! I am here with another update. So, I got a new soft collar and seems to be working better (although now I have muscle spams around the neck LOL), anyway let's try to fix one thing at a time...

I finally was able to sleep for about 7:30 hours with mask and collar on (not continuous as I keep waking up during the night). I was happy and wanted to see the sleep report in OSCAR, but when I saw it wasn't a good one. AHI of 13.30... and even though I slept most of the time, I feel like tired and super slow/heavy. Since I was thinking I was about to eliminate the OA I thought I was getting an AHI of 2-5 ?.

The OA clusters are almost gone, I assume this is thanks to the soft cervical collar, however, the CA went up significantly, and sometimes for 23 seconds or more. I am not sure how to interpret this data.

Also, noted more flow limit in the charts, but not associated to any OA or CA.

Here is the entire 8 hour report:
[attachment=36338]
Here's a 3 min zoom in one of the CA clusters (this scares me, is this accurate or can the machine br misinterpreting data?:
[attachment=36339]
Thank you all for the help!
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you were mostly awake in that segment based on your heavier breathing, though it does not show erratic breathing that is definitely awake breathing thith the OA events being moderate breath holding. The FOT is considered accurate at detecting obstruction for the classification of the apnea, what is missing is the ability of any CPAP to determine your wake status
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello all

I am back after quitting for a few days. Trying a new collar, new pillow, mask on, somehow I messed up my neck/back and been with spasms for days ?. Last night I tried again and I was able to do almost 5 hours without waking up during he night (finally). I dont see many positional apnea (maybe none) due to the soft collar (i have a screenshot below). I do still see lots of central apnea ?.

What do you all think? 10 AHI is the lowers I ever had.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I can understand your situation because I experienced this. Significant leaks can irritate you by blowing in your eyes, making noises, or causing arousals, or in the case of mouth leaks - by increasing airflow through your upper airway and drying out your nose and mouth, resulting in a range of difficulties. The muscles that move your jaw relax when you sleep, causing your face to shift shape. Using a boil and bite [DME Link Removed] [Search Supplier #35]  custom fit mouthpiece with a hole for easy breathing is one method to avoid this problem. This is how I overcame my problem. Hope you also get rid of this.

-----
Moderator Action: DME Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, links to DME-owned or DME-operated websites and links to pages that sell prescription-required items are prohibited in forum posts.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 20 292 9 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 216 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 53 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 286 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.