Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] April 2021 ResMed news
April 2021 ResMed news
https://newsroom.resmed.com/news-release...fault.aspx

With New Name and Leader, Verily/ResMed Joint Venture Poised to Shine Light on America’s Sleep Health Crisis
04/05/2021

Sleep apnea “robbing sleep from millions of Americans,” says new CEO Jonathon Lobbins

April 5, 2021 – There’s a new name in the study of untreated sleep apnea and the high-tech effort to identify and treat tens of millions of Americans afflicted by it: Primasun.

Translating to “first light,” Primasun is the moniker for a joint venture formed in 2018 by Verily, a subsidiary of Alphabet focused on life sciences and healthcare, and ResMed, a global leader in digital health.

The name refers to the dawn we should all wake to see after a full, restorative night’s sleep – as well as the new light Primasun intends to shine on sleep apnea, a disease that affects 54 million Americans, yet remains over 80 percent undiagnosed.

“We need a full night’s sleep right alongside a healthy diet and regular exercise for a strong immune system, the most energy, our best mood – in essence, to be our best selves,” said Primasun CEO Jonathon Lobbins. “Only when sleep apnea stops robbing sleep from millions of Americans can we truly know how healthy we can feel and be, as well as how safe and healthy our communities and our economy can be.”

Lobbins was named CEO of Primasun in November 2020. A longtime healthcare executive for Siemens, Edwards Lifesciences, and Medtronic, Lobbins now leads Primasun’s efforts to study the health and financial impacts of undiagnosed sleep apnea and develop digital solutions that help healthcare providers identify, diagnose, treat, and manage people living with it.

About sleep apnea
Sleep apnea is a chronic disease in which the muscles of the throat relax to the point of collapse, restricting airflow and causing the sufferer to stop breathing repeatedly throughout the night. It can cause short-term sleep deprivation, which can affect mood as well as your safety at work and while driving. It’s also strongly linked to life-threatening chronic conditions like heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke, Type 2 diabetes, and depression.

Media Contact

Kristin Deuber, +1 614.975.4186, resmed@allisonpr.com
# # #

VIEW ALL NEWS
Newsroom Home
News
In the News
Media Resources
Fast Facts
Media Contact
Jayme Rubenstein
news@resmed.com
+1 858.836.6798

Investor Contact
Amy Wakeham
investorrelations@resmed.com
+1 858.836.5000

Newsroom Alerts
Email Address
Enter your Email Address
Email Alert Options *

UNSUBSCRIBE
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linkedin Subscribe to us on Youtube
Contact About us Newsroom Blog Legal & IP Terms of Use Privacy Security Careers
© 2000-2021 ResMed. All rights reserved.
Powered By Q4 Inc. 5.53.0.1
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: April 2021 ResMed news
Does this mean the use of unilateral user agreements that gives the rights to the user's data to the company for sale? Will Google enhance the "user's experience" by aggregating "lifestyle" data warehoused by Google? Will Alphabet purchase ResMed and shift everything data-oriented to the cloud where they control access -- possibly with a monthly charge.

Forgive me but Google's Mantra is no longer "Do No Evil," it's get everything you can. And ditto for Alphabet! Will they claim to adhere to HIPAA but remain un-auditable and beyond the law? Where will they store data?

Microsoft, Google, and Amazon are all looking to medical data storage that can be mined for their own benefits.

Color me skeptical.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2021, 08:38 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: Does this mean the use of unilateral user agreements that gives the rights to the user's data to the company for sale? Will Google enhance the "user's experience" by aggregating "lifestyle" data warehoused by Google? Will Alphabet purchase ResMed and shift everything data-oriented to the cloud where they control access -- possibly with a monthly charge.

Forgive me but Google's Mantra is no longer "Do No Evil," it's get everything you can. And ditto for Alphabet! Will they claim to adhere to HIPAA but remain un-auditable and beyond the law? Where will they store data?

Microsoft, Google, and Amazon are all looking to medical data storage that can be mined for their own benefits.

Color me skeptical.

Yeah, I've always said that everything you need to know about sleep medicine is summed up in the observation that they use the word "compliance" to characterize "decisions" that patients make when they are freaking unconscious!

The idea that our presumed tech overlords will join up with the sleep doctors and gain control of our sleep data and use that against us is terrifying.

Gee, I wonder if google will reach out over the net and turn our machines off while we're asleep if they catch us exhibiting unapproved thoughts in our search strings?
Post Reply Post Reply
businesses, corporations, the rich and the powerful have ALWAYS profited off the backs of the rest of the population. that's capitalism, the system that the vast majority of the people that are used and abused by it would die to defend. while the last 4 years have shown us that anything is possible, the use of data to manipulate us for profit isn't remotely new or surprising. under our traditional and current system of governance (in the U.S.) the angst about it being used 'against' us for anything other than profit strikes me as irrational paranoia.

time to move this thread to the off-topic forum?
Post Reply Post Reply
@sheepless

One of the fundamentals of capitalism is property rights and the individual's ownership of their body, labor, and information. To the extent we bargain away those rights in return for something of perceived value is our personal business. A fair deal if adequate disclosure, understanding, and mutual acceptance are available. Not so in arcane, obscure, and obfuscated unilateral agreements. 

As for paranoia, controlled paranoia is part of a healthy self-defense/survival mechanism and when managed well leads to beneficial results.

I agree we are off-topic... but we should know if, when, and how our rights are being compromised for implicit, rather than explicit, bargains.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't disagree - at all. simply saying that it's more of the same old same old, with evolving means and technology. resolving this kind of stuff will require governmental intervention, laws and regulation. most of the country complains but half won't accept the solution. as for knowing how our 'rights' are compromised (I would say 'privacy' because few rights are absolute and untempered by the need to protect broader public interests), how many of us read terms of use agreements and privacy statements? how many would give up the use of the technology or whatever even if we read them? how many would pay cash for the services currently underwritten by the use of our data? as for "the individual's ownership of their body, labor, and information", explain that that to those that repress or exploit minorities, laborers, 'consumers', gays and women.

I shouldn't have commented as I don't think an apnea website is the right place for this kind of discussion so I'll bow out now.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [News] Apnea Board News 2023 email copy SuperSleeper 0 643 10-10-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  FYI: PHILLIPS NEWS srlevine1 0 576 10-24-2022, 02:53 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [News] Apnea Board News - 2022 SuperSleeper 0 794 06-27-2022, 10:05 PM
  [News] PHILIPS FDA Update 11-12-2021 Silicone Foam Defective in DS2 Sleeprider 28 6,676 01-09-2022, 01:03 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
  [Admin Note] Rules clarification - December 2021 SuperSleeper 0 661 12-30-2021, 05:47 PM
  Introduction - Started 09-29-2021 omalley576 9 1,180 11-03-2021, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Phillips DreamStation 1 News? Mutineer 0 822 05-04-2021, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Mutineer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.