Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New user... problems
New user... problems
I started using my ResMed s9 autoset the night before last. It was not real comfortable, but I attributed that to a learning/breakin period which I expected. I'm using a pilaro nasal pillow mask which is pretty comfortable. During the day yesterday, I started to experience feelings of sinus problems... stuffy nose, aches around eyes and cheekbones, etc. which I attributed to irritation from my machine use. When I went to bed last night, my nostrils were pretty much plugged, and I found I couldn't use my machine since I couldn't breath through my nose. Experienced blocked nose, sinus, and severe sore throat all night and continuing this morning. I really feel this was brought on from my machine use the night before... maybe not enough humidity, but it appears that isn't adjustable with the climate line tubing (machine automatically adjust humidity?). Not sure where to go from here.... By the way, my machine is set at constant pressure of 10 per my sleep study recommendation, and it was effective the first night since my ahi measured 1.5 (41 during my sleep study)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user... problems
Welcome to the group, westy! A couple of ideas come to mind: First, call your sleep doc and tell them what is occurring. Additionally, you may need to try using a nasal rinse to clean out the nasal/sinus passageways (I use the NeilMed nasal rinse once a day to help with this condition). Have you obtained the clinician's manual for your machine? This is helpful in learning how to control/adjust your machine to provide the best therapy.

Other forum members will have additional ideas on how to combat your issues.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi westy6,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP therapy can take some getting used to.
You might find that you need to turn up your humidity a bit but hang in there for other suggestions and best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Westy6,

I want to stress what PollCat said about using a nasal rinse to clean out the nasal passageways. I don't do it daily like PollCat but whenever I can't breathe through my nose. It's very helpful.

I realize that you just started using the S9. I'm assuming (a terrible thing to do) that the S9 is your first cpap machine. Nasal pillows and nasal masks are great for most people, most nights, but when you have a cold or condition that requires you to mouth breathe, having a full face mask is useful. If your insurance only pays for one mask every 6 months, you'll have to pay for it out of pocket.

It is possible that your symptoms are not related to the cpap therapy. I live a few hours north of you and there is an odd cold virus going around that begins with a sore throat and then moves to a stuffed up nose and ends with lots of coughing. My colleagues are work shared it with me. I'd rather they share their pizza at lunch but I got the virus instead.

Also follow PollCat's advice about calling your sleep doctor to let him know what is going on.

Keep us posted on what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2013, 07:27 AM)westy6 Wrote: maybe not enough humidity, but it appears that isn't adjustable with the climate line tubing (machine automatically adjust humidity?).
You can adjust temperature to your preference on auto mode and both temperature and humidity on manual mode, see page 2 for the instructions
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...lo_eng.pdf

Whats the leak rate?
The machine display 95% leak on the LCD and ResScan shows more details and graphs so you can see whats going through the night

Mouth breathing can cause all sort of problems, the more the nose plugged, the more you,re going to open your mouth to breathe and allow air escaping out through the mouth

Full face mask allows you to breathe through your nose or mouth so if the nose is plugged, you can still breathe through the mouth and not compromise the therapy

Its important to tell your sleep doctor whats going on, they have seen many people before and you,re not going to be the last one

Post Reply Post Reply
I would take pseudophedrine for the congestion and see a doctor. It sounds like you have a sinus infection that's being aggravated by the CPAP therapy.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,002 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Positional Apnea Problems ggibson 13 1,837 11-20-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Jarlo
  CPAP since March 22, still dealing with aerophagia, wakings, and heart rate problems manacles 16 2,563 10-01-2023, 11:16 PM
Last Post: manacles
  CPAP Problems for People with Large Lung Capacity? AquaMan 7 996 09-17-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
Question Top of the head tubing connection problems GaspForAir 2 461 09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.