Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] Blue Light-Filtering Glasses may help you
Blue Light-Filtering Glasses may help you
Melatonin Production Factor Rating System Can Rate Blue Light-Filtering Glasses

[Image: yellowgoggles.jpg]

Researchers at Photoprotective Technologies (PPT) introduced a rating system for determining the ability of blue light-filtering computer glasses to preserve the nighttime production of melatonin. The patent-pending “Melatonin Production Factor”—or MPF—can rate any computer eyewear to let you know how much longer you can use your electronic display before you get a 22% loss of melatonin (what PPT says occurs after 2 hours of blue light exposure from an iPad without any protective eyewear).

A lens with an MPF value of 3, for example, means that you can use the iPad 3 times longer with that lens—or 6 hours—to get the same 22% loss of melatonin that you would get without that lens. “It’s possible to get really high MPF values by blocking all of the blue light,” says Jim Gallas, PhD, co-inventor of the rating system and PPT CEO in a release, ”but then you lose your perception of color. We knew that lenses with melanin were able to filter significant amounts of blue light and still preserve the colors.”

To determine the MPF value of any lens, a transmission spectrum is recorded for the lens and serves as the input to an Excel-based spreadsheet containing the MPF algorithm created by PPT. Lenses infused with melanin have high MPF values. Melanin is the organic pigment in the hair and eyes of every human. Gallas and his staff then proceeded to modify their melanin technology to arrive at MPF values as high as 6—making it possible for computer users to extend their night time marathon habits up to 12 hours. “The technology is very broad with other applications—including light filters for LED and fluorescent lighting and film covers for iPhones,” Gallas says.

Fair use from:
http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/2015/10/me...g-glasses/
The above post may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The material available is intended to advance the understanding of Sleep Apnea treatment and to advance the educational level of Sleep Apnea patients with regard to their health. Sometimes included is the full text of articles and documents rather than a simple link because outside links frequently "go bad" or change over time. This constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material in this post is distributed without fee or payment of any kind for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this post for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Blue Light-Filtering Glasses may help you
I use f.lux on my computers.

https://justgetflux.com/

Available for Windows, Mac, Linux, iPhone iPad.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2015, 08:52 AM)AlanE Wrote: I use f.lux on my computers.

Alan, is there any downside to using this on a computer? Looks good if it does reduce the blue light effects on sleep!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2015, 05:10 PM)SideSleeper Wrote:

Alan, is there any downside to using this on a computer? Looks good if it does reduce the blue light effects on sleep!

It works fine on my Windows 10 main system. No noticeable slowdowns or incompatibilities.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2015, 05:10 PM)SideSleeper Wrote:

Very small program that has little to no impact on computer performance. It does make the screen look a little odd with the blue light missing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I think I will try it--can always remove it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using it for a year on my PC desktop with no problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use it on my phone too. (yep there's an app for that...) :-)

The "uv glasses" are still helpful if you want to watch tv late.

Red night-light in the bathroom too, so I don't have to switch on the regular lights.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm wondering if prescription glasses with UV coating works for this.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2015, 05:38 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote: I'm wondering if prescription glasses with UV coating works for this.

No. UV has nothing to do with the problem, it is the color of the light especially the blue spectrum.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Blinking Red light on my Airsense 10 machine please ? What does it mean cajones 9 11,505 03-15-2024, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 10 - Bright light from on/off switch Dagmar 6 11,080 03-03-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: E.W.
  What do the red, green, blue and black blocks mean on the Oscar daily page? crazypiglady 3 473 11-12-2023, 01:45 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  RECOMMENDATION REQUESTED - LIGHT THERAPY srlevine1 0 354 07-23-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Equipment] Screen Light - how to turn off Hopingforachange 4 2,106 04-04-2023, 01:50 AM
Last Post: zellem
  Phillips system one red light tmoody 1 509 01-18-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: tmoody
  Is it worth trying to use Blue Cross insurance? cannongeorge 0 783 12-26-2022, 05:32 PM
Last Post: cannongeorge

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.